New Update, New Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by rd#7546, Dec 23, 2023.

1. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Hi all,

After resolving my last round of issues, the new update has introduced a plethora of new ones so I thought I would share.

Out of memory type #1:
    Playing JT MML I'm getting an out of memory crash to desktop in relatively random places where the game has never crashed before. Its rendering the route borderline unplayable.

Out of memory type #2:
    This one occurs when loading routes. I get an out of memory crash to desktop, however, it specifically only occurs when loading routes that either I have edited or built myself or those downloaded from workshop. None of these routes are too graphically demanding or have previously ever caused issues, but being routes that I have put a lot of time into, it's all the more disheartening when they fail to load.

The specific error is "OUT OF MEMORY"
    "Fatal error in mode LOAD_BLUEPRINT during update within WINDOWS_MANAGER."

It's particularly strange, to me anyway, that these errors are reserved only for routes I've build myself.

To answer the usual plethora of questions:
    1. Without giving specific specs (as I can't remember where to find them), my machine is well within the required performance characteristics and should run the game with ease
    2. I'm presently playing the game in borderless mode.
    3. I've ensured both my windows software is fully up to date and also that my graphics drivers are up to date.
    4. I did a full uninstall/reinstall of TSC a few weeks ago to attempt to deal with prior bugs (nothing changed).
    5. Turning master detail down to lowest makes absolutely no difference.

I've opened a support ticket with DTG but if anyone has any ideas here, that would be super.

2. cunningn#3154

cunningn#3154 Active Member

I don't get either of these errors (though I do get OOM in other circs).

My observation would be that the second one may indicate an error in one or more objects used in your edited routes (ie a mistake/omission in a scenery object blueprint). If you are using some custom objects then it might be worth renaming the folders that contain them (so that the bins cannot be found and will 'milk bottle' instead). If one of the folders contains a 'bad' object then the error will no longer occur (as it cannot load the .bin and discover the bad blueprint). If that is the case then you can reintroduce the folders one at a time until you hit the error and then you can focus on removing all the bin files in that folder and re-adding them one at a time until you identify the culprit(s). Long-winded - but may be very helpful for other users if you can identify a bad 'un.

Ideally the error reporting could identify the bad file for you in logmate but it hasn't done so in the past. I believe that better error reporting is on the cards for introduction at some stage..

Good luck - I believe that I have a similar situation regarding rolling stock - but without enhanced error reporting I guess i'm shafted...

• Like Like x 1
  3. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not too sure what the issue could be as I haven't updated any third party DLC lately, especially nothing freeware, so I'd be more pointed towards something that's come through steam. Is it common for files to either come in corrupted or indeed to corrupt themselves?

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Errors occur when third party items are downloaded and an error in a single file can cause a problem
    Workshop routes and scenarios can have problems if the author has released but not checked his work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

It might be worth asking JT directly about the MML problem - you will get a quicker reply.

6. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

This is my point though. The routes I made myself worked before the update and I haven't downloaded any new third party content.

7. cunningn#3154

I think that the updated game engine may apply some coding 'rules' more stringently than before in order to remove causes for various failures. A good thing in the long run but a PITA if you have something that now falls foul of the rules when it snuck past them before. Especially if you have small idea of where the problem lies.
    In this case it seems that one or more of the non-DTG assets is causing your problem#2 - and trial-and-error is currently the best way of finding out which one(s).
    Have you been running logmate? If not then do it (remembering to hit 'new log' before running each scenario). If you are VERY lucky then the last lines in the lgo after a crash will give a clue. Caveat - i have spent days/weeks/months chasing down and 'fixing' things which logmate threw up - without them materially affecting the original problem. Better error reporting is desperately needed.

8. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Righto, I've edited the file name of all 3rd party assets and that's not given me any luck. That just leaves me with DTG assets that could be at fault - is this likely?

Could it be something other than this? It does say in the error message something to do with windows updates - is this potentially the root cause of the issue?

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If a file is faulty changing its name would fix it.

Start by cutting out of your Railworks Folder any Third Party Items and placing them to one side.
    In particular those that are just Freeware Assets and not via a website like Steam Sounds Supreme
    Once the game is running then you can return them to the main folder - but a few at a time

10. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

That's precisely what I've done. I've culled the third party assets by renaming the top level file. The only ones that apply for the routes in question are VPs tree and grass packs and DP Simulations Route building pack.

I renamed the files by adding "1" at the end of the file name.

It made no difference.

11. cunningn#3154

That's a pity - but does absolve 3rd party assets from the blame. That means that something in your route is causing the issue now (where it wasn't before) - OR - it is a DTG asset that is the cause.

Question - can you edit the routes or does the editor crash as well? If the editor also crashes then try my suggestion below - if it doesn't then the issue may lie in one or more scenarios (or objects inside the scenarios).

Next steps - maybe try renaming one of the main route subfolders - I suggest starting with 'Scenery'. If there is a dodgy asset in there then hiding it should bring the route to life. If not the scenery folder then try the mixmap and terrain folders. If none of them make it work then go into the network folder and rename 'Loft' and 'Roads' away in case the culprit is in there. If none of those make a difference then your network folder or tracks.bin are in the frame - in which case it gets tricky...

12. Get Trainz, I would suggest TRS22 either standard or PE it's entirely up to you to choose which version you want. Trainz TRS22 is currently on sale on Steam! Worth the purchase and best of all cheaper DLCs unlike TSC/TSW put together.

Edit: Take this as a well learned lesson! Don't buy rubbish from DTG. They just don't know how to FIX their games

13. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Working away at that now. As it's multiple routes that have all created the issue at the same time, I'm wondering if it's something in the game set up, rather than the routes?

Or perhaps how the game is "talking to" windows?

Further edit: I found an old back up I had created in a file structure separate from the main folder and unfortunately a full delete and paste hasn't fixed the issue - the old copy definitely worked.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
  14. I don't have a huge collection of routes in TSC! Maybe it's the UK routes causing it all LOL
    I doubt it has anything to do with Windows/Mac/Linux, the errors comes directly from TSC and NO OTHER GAMES! DTG just can't fix the problem, absolutely pointless!! So get TRAINZ..

15. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

There's literally no modern UK routes or stock for Trainz and practically all of the UK is covered in TSC. Its no use to me.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So you think people should thow away all the money they have spent on TSC for Trainz?

The biggest problem with Trainz is the different versions
    I had TRS2006 - and I enjoyed it at the time and later I got TRS2009, and a few others on disk.but it is poor compared with TSC.
    If I buy new items for Trainz they won't work on TRS2006 or 9.

I started with Railworks 3/TS 2012 and everything I got with it is still playable
    When the game was upgraded everything I own still works in all versions up to TSC.
    You cannot do that with Trainz

Can you show me UK Electrified Routes that have a class 86 or 87 or 91 - I don't think such things exist in Trainz

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well, TSC/TSW isn't exactly worldwide. DTG is limited to UK trash on a repeated cracked record since the existence of the original Rail Simulator game.

Trainz has way more content, not to mention FREEWARE.. Cheaper DLCs too..

18. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you keep posting on this forum as you seem to just want to trash it all the time.

19. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

It's off but for perspective, it's very similar to TSC where you just buy the yearly edition. Except it's every 2-4 years.

Add-ons supposedly carry over between editions. I frankly don't know how it's done these days between their system and Steam, but like with TSW it's possible to add all versions to all yearly editions.

Plus, to be fair, we have threads around here on how to play an older version of TSC, because reasons.

20. Yes, Trainz DLCs do carry over! Even on Steam. Unlike DTG would ever do! Personally, DLCs from TSW should have carried over to TSW2/3 and 4 but nope. Instead DTG is at a cracked record to repeat it's content over and over for each game.

21. Perhaps DTG should simply FIX their broken game. lower prices for DLCs, provide freeware DLCs, stop repeating UK/German and US DLCs 'there's an entire world waiting to be explored'. DTG should also provide full written tutorials and guides regarding striping and importing locomotives and rolling stock in TSC/TSW alike.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Even though every DLC I have purchased since TS2012 still works you seem to be under the impression that they don't work in newer versions.

Having Purchased TS2012 it has updated each year at No Cost.
    Everything I have purchased still works.

Having also purchased TRS 2006 and 2009 it has not updated and if I was to buy one of the very few UK Add-ons for Trainz they would not work on my older version. So I would have to buy the game again.

Anyhow I don't run Australian stuff so a game (Trainz) that has very little UK content is of no interest to me.

• Like Like x 1
  23. I used to hate Trainz back when I had TRS2004/2006 and Ultimate! I couldn't stand playing the game too long only because of the weird graphics it had. When I first purchased TSW on Xbox, I though this game looks FANTASTIC. When I was doing a search earlier this year, I found an Australian route without even looking and I was blown away and thought to myself 'It can't be Trainz' I thought the route was in fact for TSC. So, of course I brought T:ANE followed by TRS19 and then TRS22 as I could afford the upgrade. I will admit it, I didn't catch on with T:ANE much as I was confused how to play the game, it was that long since I played Trainz. So, I'm finally back into Trainz since TRS19 and all the Australian content I'd like to see in TSC/TSW too. Of course, that's never going to happen! I tried adding Australian rolling stock into TSC and failed.. My bad for bothering to try!

24. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Can I please steer the conversation back towards my issue? This forum isn't for trying to get people onto another sim, it's about trying to resolve the issues users are having and there has been some really helpful advice - so I'd really appreciate it if we could stick to that, so hopefully I can fix things :love:

• Like Like x 2
  25. cunningn#3154

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

26. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Having some progress with DTG support, must say the team there are being very helpful and very prompt. Quite commendable!

The logmate has delivered this line on repeat as the game crashes on one route. If anyone can make heads or tails of it, do let me know:

2024/01/04 14:58:56.638 - [Content] - Trace D:\RGBuild\CoreRelease\Code\DLLs\DataManagement\cBlueprintLibrary.cpp : 270 = Blueprint set not found : IHH, Dumfries Shed

27. cunningn#3154

Sorry my friend - I get variations on that all the time - it has never proved significant. Sadly the more you look at logmate, the more red herrings you discover! It may be a line in the scenario xml file where it lists all used product/providers (or in the route equivalent) - if it isn't relevant then you can delete it and that sequence of errors will disappear. However, I get it for assets that are both used and present in the game so it doesn't neceessarily mean anything (possibly a 'mistake' in the asset blueprint that doesn't hurt the game but triggers an error in logamte- who knows?).

• Like Like x 1
  28. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Well, finally found my issue!

It was entirely a me problem - when I re-installed my 3rd party content I managed to corrupt my Riviera Line file tree and simply needed to unpack the .AP again. Once this was done, all my routes worked again. It's just a shame the logmate couldn't help with signposting so this could have been resolved sooner.

• Like Like x 1
  29. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So LogMate should spot where you have made changes to the default installation?
    If you take in all the changes that have been made because of Freeware the LogMate output would be too big to make sense.

30. rd#7546

rd#7546 New Member

Hardly - I feel like that was an attempt to intentionally misrepresent what I was saying. Was that a legitimate question?

As I said, signposting would be helpful. The crash was clearly occurring when the game was looking for riviera line files. If the logmate simply stated that the crash occurred when looking for these files, it would have been far more helpful for me to go and resolve my problem.

I'll direct the following to anyone other user, who intends to provide a more helpful response:

In my riviera line file tree, I had the main .AP file as it installed on a clean install. I also had an older .AP unpacked (which was inserted by means of copy and paste to try and port over 3rd party content (major wales pacer)), but it would appear I had previously unpacked most of, if not all of, the file tree. It was my understanding that, provided a .AP file was in place, the game ignored the other files and goes straight to the .AP file - thus how third party content can sit in the same location outside a .AP file tree. Is this not the case? How do the differing file types interact?

31. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

File first, AP second.
    It allows patching content without adjusting the AP.
    In an ideal world absolutely all content would be inside AP files (delivered by Steam or installers), and only your modifications outside.

32. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Maybe I misunderstood your comments.
    I thought you were complaining that the LogMate did not spot an error that you had made.