New York Route With Longhaul Sleeper Amtrak Trains

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kirkyboi101, Mar 23, 2023.

1. kirkyboi101

kirkyboi101 New Member

I would love to see a very long route that has a sleeper train with many details to interact with

2. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Provide more details.
    • destination
    • route map
    • what trains
    • some history
    • why is it special
    Without any detail, nobody knows what route you want in game. A very long route is unlikely to happen. If you are talking about the services that go coast to coast, that is hundreds and thousands of miles. That is not going to happen. Even if it went part of the way, it is still hundreds of miles that all need to be modeled.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. R3DWolf91

R3DWolf91 Well-Known Member

The route you're describing was actually a Deleware & Hudson service, not New York Central. Albany and Rensselaer were NYC strongholds, most people don't even know D&H had a presence there. The current Canadian Pacific "Bull Run" track that runs down the median of 787 to Kenwood Yard is actually an inheritance from the D&H. D&H actually continued running the service for a short time even after Amtrak was created, using their beautiful blue and silver ALCO PAs.
    [​IMG]

Today Amtrak runs that service as train numbers 68/69, the Adirondack. At the moment the train hasn't been running due to the prior border restrictions, but crews have been running familiarization trips and service should be back soon. It is a pretty trip, I take it up as far as Saratoga on occasion to visit family in Lake George.
    [​IMG]

As far as getting a route like this into TSW, it would be difficult. Realistically the only sleeper train in New York is 48/49, the Lake Shore Limited. I'm not counting the Florida trains since they're only in NY for the span of ten minutes while they go from NYP to the North River Tubes into Jersey.

The LSL is the only train that actually operates with sleeper equipment, usually a couple Viewliners and a baggage, but the rest of the train is Amfleet equipment. Once it meets up with 449/448 in Albany is when the train is combined/separated, but the Boston consist is the same just shorter. The Adirondack and the Maple Leaf are the other two long distance trains but they are strictly Amfleet, and are not overnight journeys. Any sleeper car route would be difficult to accurately represent due to only being able to simulate a small portion of something that crosses multiple states over multiple days.
    [​IMG]

I would like to see an Empire Service route between Poughkeepsie and Schenectady, with Selkirk Yard, Hudson's street running, Colonie Yard, Kenwood Yard and Bull Run, and the Troy branch added for freight ops. You'd get a good mix of fast passenger trains along the Hudson, local CSX freights, and Amtrak switching moves in Rensselaer. Most of the equipment is already in game too. We'd really only need a P32, P42, and Viewliner equipment modeled, along with modifications to the existing Amfleet II to make it an Amfleet I. A GP15 for shop moves at Rensselaer would be cool but not 100% needed; if it was created it could be used for MoW trains on both Boston and Trenton. The CSX stuff from Sandpatch could all be used here perfectly fine.
    [​IMG]

Now what I would especially love to see would be the above portrayed in the 80's/90's with Amtrak FL9s, Turboliners, and Conrail freights...
    [​IMG]

Photos are all courtesy Wikimedia Commons

• Like Like x 1