Newbie Assistance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by a3w, Jun 11, 2021.

1. a3w

a3w New Member

So I recently purchased TS2021 and am learning. In the career mode I am trying to run the EMD SD40 Clinch field mode. I am attempting to do Clinch field coal part 1. For whatever reason all the controls are super slow to respond. If I release the brakes it takes a good 15-20 seconds before they actually release. Same for attempting to move forward. Set throttle and you hear the engine ramp up but long delay before any Amp rise or power on the gauge. And no it is not because the train is heavy or on a grade. It's. Like there is signifignat lag. I am not having this issue in any of the other scenarios or engines. Kind of at a loss. Thanks for any and all assistance.

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Can't say for sure as I haven't played Clinchfield but is sounds as if that's how it supposed to be...

What you have to remember is that with air brakes, you are admitting air into the brake system in order to release the brakes... this takes time especially on a long train and I'm sure a minute or 2 wouldn't be uncommon on a really long train...

On the flip side, when you apply the brakes, you are venting (or releasing) air from the brake system... if you set the brake handle to emergency, you are effectively opening the brake system so it releases the air as quickly as possible (also called "dumping the air" or "big holed")...

The SD40 is a 1960's loco so is not fitted with microprocessors... As a result everything on it is mechanical and will take time to respond... Wanna go fast??? Go drive an ICE or something on the Chinese High Speed lines...

Other than that its all part of the experience I'm afraid... Enjoy the experience & learn the traction, how it handles... You'll soon find your favourite...

As I say, I can't speak for the Clinchfield route but I'm sure some others who have it will comment soon...
    Eric

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

What are your computer specs?
    CPU, GPU, RAM, Memory, Hard Drive
    If these are low it can cause the computer to run slow

Next time you run the game compare the on screen time with your watch or other timepiece
    If the game is running slow the game time will run slow

4. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Is that because the brakes are still being released? Some locomotives don't let any amps flow until the brakes are off. I have Clinchfield. I'll have a look.

5. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

OK Just had a go at the Clinchfield Coal Part 1 scenario. Yes, the train is heavy (3 locos at the head end) and is on a grade. HOWEVER, I moved the throttle to notch 1 prior to releasing the brakes. The revs increased as one would expect, but no amps flowed until the brakes were fully released. Hope this helps.