Newcastle Tyne And Wear Metro System

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by djgaming#7176, Oct 25, 2021.

1. djgaming#7176

djgaming#7176 Active Member

I think it would be amazing to see the Newcastle Tyne and Wear Metro System in Train Sim World 2 Located in the North East of the UK it is an absolutely amazing and very scenic route which serves many parts of the North East of England.

The History of the Route and Information on the Trains Credit to Wikipedia:

The Tyne and Wear Metro is an overground and underground light rail rapid transit system[3][4][5] serving the metropolitan boroughs of Newcastle upon Tyne, Gateshead, North Tyneside, South Tyneside and the City of Sunderland (together forming Tyne and Wear). The network opened in stages from August 1980 and now serves a total of 60 stations, with two lines covering 48.2 miles (77.6 km) of track.[6][7][8][2] The Metro can be accessed from a mixture of underground and overground stations. It has been described as the "first modern light rail system in the United Kingdom".[9] The system is currently owned and operated by the Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive (branded as Nexus), thus is fully under public ownership and operation.

In 2018–19, an estimated 36.4 million passenger journeys were made on the Metro, making it the third-most used light rail network in the United Kingdom after London's Docklands Light Railway (121.8 million passenger journeys) and Manchester Metrolink (43.7 million passenger journeys).[10]

The initial Tyne and Wear Metro network opened between August 1980 and March 1984, mostly using converted former railway lines linked with new tunnel infrastructure. Further extensions to the original network were opened in November 1991 (from Bank Foot to Airport) [11] and March 2002 (from Pelaw to Sunderland and South Hylton).[12]

Current fleet
    Main article:
    Tyne & Wear Metrocars

Since the Tyne and Wear Metro opened in 1980, it has operated using the same rolling stock. The fleet comprises a total of 89 (formerly 90, until March 2017) articulated units, known as Metrocars, which are numbered 4001–4090. When in service, Metrocars are normally coupled together in pairs and have a maximum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). The first units to be built were two prototypes, numbered 4001 and 4002, which were delivered for testing in 1975. These were followed by 88 production units, which were built between 1978 and 1981. The design of the Metrocar was based on the
    Stadtbahnwagen B, a German light rail vehicle developed in the early 1970s. The units were built by Metro-Cammell, Washwood Heath.[59][60][20]

The fleet has been refurbished several times and several liveries have been used. The original livery used at opening was cadmium yellow and white, in accordance with the colours used by the
    Tyne and Wear Passenger Transport Executive at the time.[61] A mid-life refurbishment of the fleet, carried out in-house, took place between 1995 and 2000; a new livery was adopted consisting of red, green or blue bodies, with yellow front and rear ends, and triangles containing the Metro logo on the doors.[59][41][7]

A £20 million refurbishment of 86 Metrocars (originally all 90 were due to be refurbished) began in June 2010, with the goal of the refurbishment programme being to extend the service life of until 2025 prior to the delivery of new rolling stock. Each Metrocar was stripped down to its frame and built back up again, with the addition of improved disabled access and new door control systems, with renewed interiors, seating and lighting. A new black, grey and yellow livery was also adopted.
    [62] Refurbishment work was completed five months ahead of schedule in August 2015.[41][39][40][42]
    Metro Trains
    [​IMG]

Map of the Tyne and Wear Metro Route
    [​IMG]
    The route Starts form St James Park Station and serves many different stations and coastal areas too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

This would have the distinction as the only British route to use PZB instead of AWS TPWS DSD DRA standard on Modern British routes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

good idea

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lil jj

Lil jj Well-Known Member

Sounds like a very good route to happen in tsw2, not too long and will have some nice scenery like the Tyne bridge

• Like Like x 1
  5. djgaming#7176

I totally agree with you this network is unique

6. djgaming#7176

Hey considering I have traveled on the route in real life its abosolutely amazing as it covers both city and country and coast.

7. djgaming#7176

Thanks man.

8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It would make a nice route albeit only one type of train to operate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. djgaming#7176

Its actually a nice route despite one Type of Train

10. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I know. I grew up in the North East albeit we had moved away before the Metro came about. So my distant memories - I was 10 when we moved south - are actually of DMUs on the local services and I do have a vague recollection of having maybe travelled on one of the old Tyneside 3rd rail electrics when my old man took me from Felling to North Shields to see a football match. However return visits over the years post Metro led to many trips on the system.

• Like Like x 1
  11. djgaming#7176

Thats amazing and just riding on the metro makes a great day out.

12. djgaming#7176

With the Newer Routes that have just released you could actually have some real fun in the off the rails scenario editor.

13. stephenholdway

stephenholdway New Member

I actively use this line it certainly is a staple of the north east its such a nice route