Nickel Plate Road, Fort Wayne Division. Fort Wayne To Bellevue

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by theozzmanishere, Apr 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

The Ft. Wayne Division is a 125.3 mile stretch of railroad owned and operated by mainly the Nickel Plate Road with some appearances of the Pennsylvania Railroad and New York Central. The route would be set in late 1957 to mid 1958 when steam on the Nickel Plate was being phased out in favor of diesel. Let's go over the options for our steam locomotives.

NKP S-Class Berkshire: While the S-Class as a whole had three sub classes S-1, S-2 and S-3. We will consolidate them all but with minor cosmetic changes based on road numbers. The 700 series of Berkshires started production in the late 1930s with the first 15 (700-714) being built by the American Locomotive Company or Alco in New York. The further 65 (715-779) would be built by Lima Locomotive Works in Ohio from the early 40s to 1949. The locomotives were the main workhorses from when they were first built in the 30s to the end of steam in 1958. Used occasionally as switchers nkp762_angle.jpg

H-Class Mikados: While the NKP was famous for the Berkshires it had, the Mikados were also heavy duty freight haulers but mainly on smaller and local freights. Production of these started in 1917. The first 35 designated as H5 and later 10 more as H6. These were also used occasionally as switch engines like the Berkshires 35617995424_4ecd336475_b.jpg

Why do I want this route?
    The Nickel Plate Road is a well known road in my area (near Chicago), and the NKP was quite popular at what it did. Haul fast freights and passengers. Considering the Berkshires are very iconic and the Mikados being a close second. And I believe by making this route, we can have some Midwest representation in TSW2.

In my opinion, I think this route would sell well for the game.

Final Thoughts: While the almost 126 mile long route could be too much, we could shorten this to 70-90 miles, this may result in cutting off Bellevue or Fort Wayne. Overall, it's a very fantastic looking route, the scenery is neat, featuring many small towns to pass through and bridges to romp over at high speed which could get some very nice DTL screenshots.

Leave your comments or anything you want to say on here. This is my suggestion.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  2. theozzmanishere

theozzmanishere New Member

I forgot to mention the rolling stock so I will list them here.
    40' PS-1 Boxcar
    nkp8239.jpg

50' Gondola
    (Picture wouldn't show up in my files. :( Not fun)

Bay Window Caboose

8013421986_a23b037cf3_b.jpg

NKP 2-Bay Coal Hopper

2914.1598839280.jpg

Standard 8000 Gallon Tank Car

GATX-80181-1000.jpg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2022