PlayStation Noob Question... Can't Get Through The Tutorial!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hsinvader#7024, Jan 25, 2021.

1. hsinvader#7024

hsinvader#7024 New Member

I've played lots of sims before, but never anything to do with trains, so pardon my ignorance.
    Following the tutorial (for Bakerloo Line)... it's telling me: "Reach Speed: Use the Traction Brake Control to apply more power and reach 10MPH"

Ok, use the Traction Brake how? I've tried it in every position and the train doesn't move. The direction selector is forward, the Dead Man's handle is pressed. The Traction Brake is in "Shunt" (as previously instructed).

What am I missing (apart from any knowledge whatsoever about how to drive a train)?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Use the traction / brake control
    In other words the power controller also does the brake. Shove it into forward and power setting 2 should do it
    I think Shunt only goes up to about 5mph

• Like Like x 1
  3. hsinvader#7024

The train isn't moving at all... there's just a loud hissing noise.

4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Press circle when it hisses

• Like Like x 1
  5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

If it's hissing, you need to put the reverser into inter and the power/brake controller into release, then press the square button on the controller and move the reverser into forwards. This should stop the hissing and allow you to apply power.

Edit: Just realised I've got my PS controls mixed up, it should be the circle button to reset the alarm.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

The hissing noise is the train alarm. Theres a button on the left hand side column beside the door that turns it off, alternatively I think you can press circle on the dualshock 4.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hsinvader#7024

Right, I've been holding 'x' on the handles and using left stick to make selections (and inadvertently releasing the Dead Man's Handle far too often). This is a digital edition and didn't come with a manual as far as I can tell.

I'll write down the start-up order to refer to until I've learned it... as I said: I'm a complete noob with trains and the terminology, so floundering a bit. But determined to master this. Are there any decent tutorials on YouTube you could recommend?

Thanks for your help. :).

EDIT: Oh and I managed to get my train to the next stop and stop it at the platform, so making some progress thanks to your advice.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenwigg

Lenwigg Well-Known Member

I have only been playing this myself for a few months and I hope in time you enjoy the game as much as I do. Wondering if you have tried any other route? In my opinion the Bakerloo and Sandpatch are not the best routes to learn on. You may be keen to drive on the underground but I would recommend whatever other route or routes you got other than these two for a while. I knew nothing about train games when I started and Bakerloo and Sandpatch were not in the game then as I started on TSW2020 a month or so before TSW2 came out. As I said I knew nothing about train games and thinking about it I think I would have found these two routes a bit daunting to start off with.

One thing is for sure, if I can learn how to get on with the game anyone can. Enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  9. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

That's good news, I'm not sure about any tutorials on YouTube, though others may be able to advise on those. There is a manual here, that has a basic start up guide and a map of controls.

All the manuals can be found on this page, with some quite detailed ones. If you want to learn basics of British signalling I would recommend reading the East Coastway manual as that goes into a good depth.

Hopefully these help you get to grips with the basics of driving and I'm sure you'll get better the more you drive.

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  11. hsinvader#7024

Good tip - only started on the Underground because I live in London! Will check out the other routes. :)

12. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I am pleased to see the advice in here has helped. When I first started I had similar difficulties with getting moving to begin with and the community are very kind with helping. (they have assisted me a few times now)

• Like Like x 3
  13. hsinvader#7024

So, another couple of questions (I can already hear your eyes rolling ;-) ):

• Waiting ages for the lights to go green (like so long that your train is late to the next station) - that’s just part and parcel of driving trains, I suppose?
    • Specifically on the RE9:
      • Is it normal for the circuit breaker to reset whenever I stop? It seems I always have to close it before I can apply any power.
      • Is it normal for the parking brake to be applied when I’ve stopped? (Maybe linked to unlocking/opening the doors?)
      • Is there a visual indicator on the panel to show when the parking brake is/isn’t applied?
      • How does the driver of a train like this check the platform is safe (in game I use the external camera)?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. Lenwigg

mmmmm Waiting ages for lights to change, yes quite often. And if you look on your map you can sometimes see why you are being held up, usually another train on its way from one direction or the other. And when driving freight you would get held up more as passenger trains get priority. At least when you see a train approaching you know what the hold up is and that it is not a bug. A few red lights unfortunately are bugs.

The next two, as far as I know that would be no not normal. Next one, the only way I can think of is by holding your pointer over it. Some say applied or released. And the last one, I don't bother to check the platform and I don't think many do. I think the game tells you to do that because that is what a driver should do IRL.

And don't worry if you have any more questions. I learnt a lot off of here and by watching streamers. And the best one IMO is Hentisrail, Thursday's and Saturday's at the moment around 19:30 or 20: on youtube. A good bunch of helpful friendly guys and gals.

Have fun that is the main thing

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lenwigg

With a bit of luck this is a link to Hentisrail discord server if you want. Again I have learnt a lot here all helpful and friendly.

https://discord.gg/VSFzwqpj

• Like Like x 1
  16. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

If you want to check the platform on a train you can approach the window on some trains and go into another view. The Doppelstock (double deck control cars).

1. Open window first
    2. Get close enough and there should be an option to 'Stand at Shunting Station

Alternatively with a keyboard, cycle through with the arrow keys. You may even have additional views by bring up the camera menu on classic controls.

Absolutely no need to though but if you like the role play.

• Like Like x 1
  17. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yup. (except sometimes it's a game bug)
    By RE9- I'm assuming you're referring to RegioExpress Nr. 9 in SKA (the train is a BR 442 Talent 2). I'm a bit confused by the "circuit breaker" which has to be reset; the breaker panel in TSW's Talent isn't modeled and the only player-accessible breaker is the main supply breaker beside the pantograph control, which is never open except at engine startup.

The Talent like most German cabs is set up with certain safety interlocks which disengage the throttle. One of them is the doors- as long as they are open, and until they are completely closed and locked, the throttle is disengaged (on the HUD, the square around the throttle setting turns red to show it's locked out). In addition, the brakes automatically come on when the doors open, and since it takes a bit for air brakes to release you have a few seconds after hitting the "close doors" before the train can move again.

Another interlock, which doesn't apply to the Talent 2 but which does apply to the ICE 3M and other trains where the brake and throttle are separate controls, disengages the throttle whenever the driver applies the brakes; to regain throttle control it has to be pulled all the way back to "off," which re-engages it, and then it can be used again.

The parking brake proper is always manually applied and released; it's not connected to anything else and it isn't set unless you set it yourself(except at the beginning of certain "start up a cold engine" scenarios).. On the BR 442, it's a set of three white buttons to the left of the leftmost screen.
    [/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1