Norfolk Southern Conway Terminal Yard

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by itstypicalrailfanner16, Jun 10, 2022.

1. itstypicalrailfanner16

itstypicalrailfanner16 Active Member

The Norfolk Southern Conway Yard is 22 miles (35km) northwest of Pittsburgh along the Ohio River and is one of the biggest railyards in the United States. It is owned by Norfolk Southern.
    "Conway Yard was built in 1884 by the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway, a subsidiary of the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR). It was expanded in the early 20th century. In 1905, it had a capacity of 8,967 cars and typically processed 2,300 cars per day. The enlargement yard was part of a major PRR expansion that also added the Pennsylvania yards of Altoona Yard, Enola Yard, and Harrisburg Yard.

In 1953, the PRR began a $35 million ($354.5 million today) renovation and expansion of the yard. The new eastbound yard opened in 1956, while the rebuilt westbound facilities opened in stages during 1957 and 1958. Its new capacity was 9,000 cars per day, surpassing Enola Yard as the largest in the United States. Many yards (Dewitt and Clearing Yard, to name just a couple) had larger yards up until 1956. Conway was rebuilt with eastbound and westbound hump classification yards, and a total of 99 classification tracks, according to a 1957 PRR publication. A 1958 publication describes a total of 107 classification tracks. The westbound hump yard was outfitted with an automatic control system called VELAC, which was designed and installed by the Union Switch and Signal Company. It was described as the "world's largest push-button yard." The eastbound hump yard was installed with semi-automatic operation. A terminal for transferring coal from river barges to rail cars was located at the south end of the yard."

upload_2022-6-10_14-6-41.png

It has a Hump and I think it is time for DTG to start introducing Hump Yard Mechanics into TSC since that's how most large Marshalling Yards in the United States work. While it is very fun to move cars around with a locomotive, sometimes it's even more entertaining to watch Humps do all the work. There is also a coal barge and 2300 railcars are processed in this yard every day. This suggestion is the perfect opportunity for a Norfolk Southern Coal District extension.

2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

The hump yard mechanics would be amazing. I would also like to see some other yards with humps (preferably on the BNSF or UP railroads).

3. itstypicalrailfanner16

I know. Train Simulator is freaking overdue for a hump yard. That's how most classification yards work anyway. Consists don't get organized by locomotives the minute they get into a large railyard. Those consists are sent to the hump where they are sent to specific yard tracks (with the yard tracks being determined by a computer, human operator, or both) to create a consist. Once a consist is complete, then the completed consist is picked up by a set of units that transport it to customers. If Run 8 can have such yards, then there's no reason DTG can't implement those into TSC. A hump yard isn't that complicated to make in TSC, if you can develop trains and stuff. I bet Searchlight Simulations would be willing to do it if DTG doesn't want to.

4. itstypicalrailfanner16

Also, I think a few US routes for TSC may have a hump yard in real life.