Norfolk Southern's Pocahontas Division

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MasterofTrains, Mar 17, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. sure

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Absoluty Not

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. MasterofTrains

MasterofTrains Member

Norfolk Southern's (NS) Pocahontas Division spans from Williamson, WV to Bluefield, WV a little over 100 miles long. The route mostly see coal traffic but other traffic is also seen.
    [​IMG]

The route starts in Williamson massive yard. After the yard trains start the climb to the top of the grade
    The route does have some points with active coal loaders on spurs.
    [​IMG]

At Farm the tracks meet a old N&W coaling tower.
    [​IMG]
    Later on you come upon Auville yard which is mostly for service.
    The tracks continue on to Bluefield. Before then the tracks come upon Litwar a massive coal loader the operates all most all the time. Switching is done here often.
    [​IMG]
    Finally after a long decent you enter the yard of Bluefield which also has some N&W coaling towers still standing. Trains are recrewed and serviced here.t
    Rolling Stock and Operations
    The current CSX locomotives in TSW just need a NS repaint to work along with some rolling stock such as the coal car, covered hopper, boxcar.
    Other locomotives should be added aswell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The SD70 series could be added.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Teir 3 and 4 gevos could be added.

Most of the rolling stock is the same as heavy haul but instead of putting the NS logo on everything add more varity to the intermodel cars and autoracks etc.
    There is no passenger service along this route expect for NS exeutive trains and other excursions.
    [​IMG]
    N&W 611 did make an excursion on this route and could be added in the future if this is made.

• Like Like x 12
  2. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

NS content will appear in TSW for sure, we must be patient...

• Like Like x 1
  3. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I would love to see some NS content and this is a pretty good suggestion. As far the locomotives go, I would like to see more than just a simple repaint of the existing locomotives seeing as each railroad has their units tailor built to their specifications.

4. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

No. Please no. This route is too similar to other mountain pass routes that Dovetail Games has made like Horseshoe Curve and Sand Patch Grade. We also can't unleash the full potential of the Norfolk & Western J Classes on this route since it's a slow mountain pass. When I think of the Norfolk & Western, I think of their legendary J Class 4-8-4 steam locomotives going as fast as possible with the premier Norfolk & Western passenger trains, which they were built to do well, and they did.

Dovetail Games really needs to make the Norfolk Division from Norfolk to Crewe, VA and not the Pocahontas Division for either Train Sim World or Train Simulator 2018 because that's a unique route since it has a large variety of scenery with urban, suburban, harbor, rural and mountain environments. Not to mention it has the huge Lambert's Point coal-unloading port in Norfolk as well as the 52-mile-long Suffolk-to-Petersburg straightaway, the latter is where the Norfolk & Western J Classes were able to reach their highest speeds of over 100 mph, which would be awesome to do in Train Sim World. I'd like to see it set in the 1950s and have Norfolk & Western J Classes included in the route's default package.

Another route that would be great to have that Norfolk Southern runs on these days would be the Rat Hole from Oakdale, TN to Danville, KY. That's a beautiful route which can represent Norfolk Southern the proper way since it too has a great variety of scenery and operations.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  5. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

A very nice and scenic route which should certainly be made for Train Sim World. Probably won't happen soon because of the length though however it could be made in the long-run.

If they were to add steam trains, I would prefer an era-specific route rather than a steam locomotive on a modern route.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Big Papi34

Big Papi34 Well-Known Member

This would be a great route for Norfolk Southern. Well done.

7. Big Papi34

This would be a great route for Norfolk Southern. Well done.

8. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

If they were to make this it would only be for P.C And I don’t like that since I’m a PS4 user.But good route.

9. Big Papi34

How do you know?

10. UnlimitedMagic

Cause CSX heavy haul was only for p.c

11. Big Papi34

That's because of the resources used for Heavy Haul. Since then they've made them more console friendly.

12. UnlimitedMagic

13. Big Papi34

Consoles ain't that weak.

14. UnlimitedMagic

I know I’m saying that if they use the same resources that they used for heavy haul.
    And the length is too long

Last edited: May 25, 2019