North American Content: 2022

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Challenger3985, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

With the new year already arrived, I've decided to make a new thread from the old one to make a fresh start for what's to be expected for 2022 onwards (for the NA side of course), whether it's gonna be good or bad for each add-on upon release. (Recap for the DLCs released from 2020-2021 on TSW2 is right here)

Here's what the routes/locos are being made In Development:

Routes:
    -none atm
    Locos:
    -none atm
    Extras:
    -none atm
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This section adds what's been released for TSW2 so far:

Routes:
    -Sand Patch Grade (Freight-Base)
    -Long Island RR (Passenger-Preserved)
    -Peninsula Corridor (Passenger-Preserved)
    -Oakville Subdivision (Freight-Preserved)
    -Clinchfield (Freight)
    -Cane Creek (Freight-Skyhook)
    -Boston Sprinter (Passenger-Rush Hour)
    -Sherman Hill (Freight)
    -Harlem Line (Passenger)
    -Horseshoe Curve (Freight)
    Locos:
    -MP36PH-3C (PC-Preserved)
    -MP15D (PC-Preserved)
    -M3 (LIRR)
    -C40-8W (SPG)
    Gameplay:
    -New Journeys Expansion [SKA/BKL/SPG]
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also adding in Locomotive Models that are marked both new and "reused" depending on the routes that have been made so far.
    Key: [N=New / Rb=Rebuilt / Rm=Remaster / Rp=Repaint]

SPG: AC4400CW (N)/GP38-2 (N)/SD40-2 (N)/C40-8W (N)/SD40 (Rp)
    LIRR: M7 (N)/M3 (N)
    PC: F40PH-2CAT (N)/GP38-2 (Rb)/MP15DC (N)/MP36PH-3C (N)
    OSD: GP9RM (N)/GP38-2 (Rb)
    CRR: F7 (N)/SD40 (Technically Rb)
    CCB: AC4400CW (Rb)/SD40-2 (Rb)
    NEC: ACS-64 (Rm)/F40PH-3C (Rb)
    SH: SD40-2 (Rb)/SD70ACe (N)
    HL: M3A (Rb)/ M7A (Rb)
    HSC: ES44AC (N)/GP38-2 (Rb)
    (*While not released yet, but can still be counted towards this list)

This thread will get updated each time something new is added or a status change to the current project (But it will get dated from time to time). Either way, don't hesitate to add your opinion into this or other news to add, and hopefully this year will be better than the last one.

[Update-1: Due to the new format of the Roadmap (Jan 11), this thread is no longer gonna rely on it anymore. And while there will be announcements for the next US/CAN add-on to be released earlier than the Roadmap, this thread will just be the general news discussions for what the next add-on will be upon closer to release.]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Challenger3985

Jan. 10:
    While I was hoping for this thread to be made for tomorrow. But ah well, the first Horseshoe Curve Article has been released today (and it doesn't look bad so far). And to add in a few notes, here's what's also gonna be included on this route so far:
    -adding in 15 miles of South Fork Secondary (Making this route over 40-50 miles at least)
    -Rolling Stock: Bethgon Hoppers, 50ft Boxcars, Tankers, Covered Hoppers, and a new Flatcar

Hopefully, this will be a good route to drive on. And the GEVO sound that Skyhook had need help for doesn't go in vain like the SD70 did.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

OK, a useful list but I'm a little confused about what the list of locomotives is supposed to represent.

4. Challenger3985

To represent which one is made new, and which one has been reused/rebuilt per route (lined out the section for clarification).

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  5. Challenger3985

Roadmap Jan 11.
    Well, the new Roadmap has been released (and it ain't looking too good, either). And while there isn't anything new added, which looking like that's no longer going to happen from here on out:
    So does that mean this thread is dead already, nope. I did also want to make it as just the general news discussion for what's the next US/CAN routes and locos that's being made anyway, with or without the Roadmap.
    (of course without the roadmap, it makes it pretty hard to predict for how each route or loco is gonna be looking like before the first screenshots near release)
    (Update: From the Roadmap Stream, both of them did say that they'll announce the next add-on to be released at least a month or two in advance. So I guess it's a good compromise, but that still means the Roadmap is completely useless for what new content is being developed before release. Better than nothing, I guess)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  6. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I hope they can develop more NA passenger routes, in particular Amtrak.
    The gameplay of the the existing freight routes has been somewhat lacking for me
    Crawling at low speed through trees, rocks or long grass is very soporific
    Usually wake up on hitting the keyboard...

7. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope we’ll get the Amtrak Downeastern from Boston to Portland and maybe Add some MBta commuter service’s from the north side of Boston.

8. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I would love to have a P42DC + Superliner set to toy around with but it's understandable why it hasn't been made yet. That would be a lot of effort to put into quite a high-profile set, bjt there is really nowhere to run it. On Sandpatch grade there is the Capitol Limited service which has a whopping total of 2 services a day, and that's not to mention that Cumberland is the only station so it would be a very awkward passenger run. Cane Creek could technically feature the California Zephyr on the short mainline section at Brendel, but what would really be the point? Horseshoe Curve also features two daily services on the Pennsylvanian, but that train uses Amfleets. Superliners would also fit on Sherman Hill but only if the route is backdated and the locomotive is an F40PH.

There really aren't enough opportunities to justify the investment into developing more mainline Amtrak stuff, which is a shame, because I am really not sure what section of track has enough long-distance Amtrak services to justify the creation of a P42DC + Superliner set ever. I think, if we're lucky, we might get a P42DC + Horizon DLC at some point, especially if we get a route based in Chicago. Until then, I'll just have to dream.

Cheers

9. Supernovae

Supernovae New Member

Great route, but Boston to Brunswick is a 145 mile route with 11 stops and 5 round trip services per day. I agree the Lowell Line and Haverhill Line would be good MBTA routes out of North Station. CSX is buying out Pan Am Railways, which currently owns the line from the New Hampshire border up to a mile before the Brunswick station. A full service from from Boston to Portland would be about 2.5 hours, up to the terminus in Brunswick would be just under 3.5 hours. This is just too long for the current viable routes in TSW2 in it's current state.

The most viable way I see to add this route would be the Lowell Line, Haverhill line, and Wildcat Branch (61 miles over 22 stations). Hypothetically, this route could bring the bi level MBTA cars for service with recycled FP40-3Cs from the Boston Sprinter DLC. The unique loco could then be the P42DC with Amfleet 1 coaches from the Boston Sprinter DLC. The commuter rail would have 2 full lines, with an Downeaster service from Haverhill - Lowell to North Station 5 times per day in each direction. A repainted F40PH-3C with a baggage door could be placed on the south side of the train to act as a NPCU for relatively low effort.

For as much as I love Boston, DGT's effort for expanding passenger services in the US is probably best placed expanding the Northeast Corridor and offering new commuter rail services along the way

10. mrchuck

maybe they’ll do the Lowell line for the MBta in the future.

11. pveezy

pveezy Well-Known Member

The problem with US passenger stuff is a reflection of the problems with US passenger rail in real life... most US passenger trains are long scenic tourist type affairs that go beyond the typical size of what TSW2 models... so that leaves commuter (which they are giving us some more of with the Harlem Line), or more NEC stuff (which has kind of been done twice with Boston and NEC for TSW1). There are still lots of commuter stuff they could do though or a throwback of some sort.

And yes there are some Amtrak trains that pass through some of the freight routes we have, but they are generally basically 1 train a day and they are just passing through without having any terminus in the included area of the game, and use locomotives that haven't been modeled yet in TSW2, so it would be a waste of resources to develop an entire new model like the GE Genesis just for these small roles. That said if they make a Genesis for some other new DLC it would be great if they went back and added the Capitol Limited to SPG or whatever as a layer.

As far as freight, some people might not like it but others (like me) can't get enough US freight. I don't find them boring at all, in fact I pay more attention on my freight runs because one small mistake can lead to a stall or overshooting a stop which ruins 2 hours of work. I generally prefer them to passenger routes where you are chasing a clock and its stop, doors, go, stop, doors, go, stop, doors go. You can also include tons or variances in the play from the full length runs, local deliveries, yard switching and consist building...

But my entire point with that is there are different players who like different things so I hope they keep doing freight AND passengers, and can get some more licensing for commuter systems since the commuter trains are more in the scope of TSW2 than the longer Amtrak runs.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  12. mrchuck

like Connecticut shoreline east would be next from new London Connecticut to Stamford Connecticut.

13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point and for DTG they can try introducing NJ Transit with the Raritan Valley Line.

14. mrchuck

what about Connecticut shoreline east?

• Like Like x 1
  15. mrchuck

didn’t Amtrak Downeaster started in the early 2000’s

16. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I end using the baby bullet because every other train to the untrained eye bar the Amtrak look nigh on identical :cool:

17. driverwoods#1787

That can work too however DTG will need a Conndot Licence for it. NJ Transit licence is in the game code

18. mrchuck

Oh awesome Njt is in the game code?

19. driverwoods#1787

It is in the game code from this post by MrSouthernDriver and for NJT in the game files code, it's NJ_Transit.uasset for shoreline east if added Conndot.uasset same for SEPTA if Skyhook & Just Trains want ACE-64 901-915

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  20. mrchuck

Oh awesome well I know metro north Harlem is confirmed and I hope they’ll add Njt in the future.

21. mrchuck

what would the Njt route be would it be The north Jersey coast or Reten valley?

• Like Like x 1
  22. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

So Far no NJT Route at all still, which I really would like to see, along with Amtrak Acela now that we have a tilting mechanic. I really hope for this year We will see more North American Route for Commuter, and Freight, cause they are really lacking it right now.
    They also need to Upgrade the LIRR, because it doesn't really look anything close to the real LIRR Route as well. More Metro North Route would be better as well, as NJT. I would be so surprised if they start making NYC Subway Route, lol but I don't think it would happen :D:D:):). We also need More Asia Route, such as china, and Japan high speed train as well.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  23. mrchuck

I hope they’ll upgrade lirr like add the dual mode diesel locomotives along with the oyster bay Branch.

24. mrchuck

what about Boston sprinter route adding north station to Lowell or Haverhill lines for the MBta commuter rail?

25. Supernovae

Supernovae New Member

Boston Sprinter goes into South Station. The Lowell and Haverhill lines go into North Station, which is something like 1.1 miles away and not connected directly.

26. mrchuck

or maybe Worcester/Framingham line.

27. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

28. dr1980

dr1980 Member

I thought for sure we’d be getting some addons for the Boston route like the Acela or some additional MBTA stock.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The Amtrak 50th anniversary livery was released today.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Good news, thanks for the heads up! Will give it a go tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  31. space_ace96

space_ace96 Active Member

Chicago would be a great choice as it a huge transit, long-distance, and freight hub with plenty of route options. Going solely off lines I'm familiar with, the BNSF line out of Union with Amtrak P42s, Metra F40PHs and MP36s, and BNSF freight trains and the Metra Electric line out of Millennium with the potential for Metra and NICTD South Shore Line EMUs, Amtrak P42s or SC44 Chargers, and CN trains. That's not even including UP stuff. Metra diesel stock would be easy because the trainsets are very similar to Caltrain's. The problem is that while DTG has relationships with those three freight railroads that own some of that trackage and Amtrak, Metra has declined to work with DTG in the past, and BNSF gets weird about their licenses sometimes. I'm still holding out though for DTG to take another crack at heavy rail rapid transit with one of the L lines. God knows CTA could use the publicity and there are plenty of railfans and new urbanists here who would be able to provide plenty of reference material.

32. Challenger3985

Jan. 20 News:
    In case anyone hasn't seen the Festival of the Rail stream today, here's a glimpse of what the CRR SD40 in CSX-S or "CSX Stripe" (Part of the Expansion Pack) looks like in TSW:
    SD40-1.png
    SD40-2.png

Real Life counterpart:
    CSX 8347 Wal 71887.jpg
    Aside from the numbers (which they were renumbered to the 8300's range at the time with this livery), doesn't look too bad so far (except for the cab layout, completely the same on the back panel).

And to add in for what's also included to the pack:
    -3 exclusive scenarios
    -New Characters assets (Scenarios)
    -New horn (also be with CRR later, TBD)
    -Banking Comms (where ever the button is, ditto for CRR)

(To also note that SPG from this pack is not ready yet as of this stream)
    [To see it in action, it's viewed on YouTube or Twitch. (to skip 5 hours of hassle to find it)]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It looks pretty good, I'm looking forward to drive it.

Also, in theory we could use this to make more prototypical Chessie System liveries, right?

• Like Like x 1
  34. Challenger3985

It would require some details to be changed around the cab, trucks, and headlights (both front and back). And the closest match that's the same model as CRR (3015-3024 it seems) would have to be from the C&O batch (7527-7536) in order to make it more prototypical to the Chessie livery.
    But it is "Just a Theory" after all. :cool:

35. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not only is the road number still from the Clinchfield series, both the number board and the cab number are still using the Clinchfield font, all wrong for CSX.

This is my version:
    [​IMG]

36. Challenger3985

Matt did say that the SPG of the Expansion was not ready yet, and did only show about 10-11 mins of a new scenario that'll be included. Meaning, like the SD40-2 from the Sherman Hill preview, it may still be a work in progress since he also didn't know how many numbers in range would be included with this SD40. (I linked up the timestamp on that post, at the bottom)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 1