North Downs Line (reading To Gatwick) + 165/166

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by markhazeldine, Jan 19, 2022.

1. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

I know this has been suggested before, but I just want to make a fresh case for the North Downs Line from Reading to Gatwick Airport via Guilford and Redhill.

Reasons for it:
    1. A lot of people have been requesting a newer 165/166 in TS classic for routes out of Paddington, GWR routes in the South West (e.g. Riviera Line) and for JT's Chiltern routes.
    2. You have a newer 165 that you could relatively easily port over from TSW2 (like you did with the 465 in the Dover/Ramsgate route) and I don't think any other third parties are likely to put the effort in to make a brand new 165/166
    3. You already have all the GWR, Southern and all SWR AI (except the 458) on the routes that cross or share with it.
    4. The route is very pretty and well liked by many people
    5. There isn't a lot of built-up scenery to make, it's mostly hills and countryside, so it's very light on the need for new custom assets
    6. The route is pretty interesting in terms of stock
    7. You already have all the big stations built. You have Guildford from PDL, Reigate, Redhill and Gatwick from the BML (both in TS and TSW2) and you have the new Reading in TSW2
    8. If you were feeling ambitious, you could upgrade your 319 into a 769 Flex without tons of work as the model already exists
    Basically, this is a very "lowing hanging fruit" kind of a route, that I think would make quite a lot of people happy.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I think Reading to Waterloo is a more important line ATM because it could introduce a Class 707, provide grounds for the 456 to run on dated scenarios, add more ground for the 455 and others, and provide a rare "circle service" at Waterloo crossing Clapham Junction both ways (assuming the PDL link and the completed section of PDL are included). It could also lead to repairs on the Class 700 audio. Not guaranteed on the latter, but I see it as a good excuse to do that route. We can live with the 166 a little longer. Just my opinion.

3. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

A Rail Fan From Wokingham Member

Why not do both and have them as one route?

4. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

The Wokingham area would need quite a few custom assets.

5. Cyclone

Back in the old days, that might work. Nowadays, that's way too long, especially if the loop line to the PDL is included. Reading to Gatwick is 62 miles, to Waterloo is 68 miles, and the only shared track is south of Wokingham at Wokingham Junction. Mranwhile, the 707 would turn off to the east, at Staines, and the Windsor & Eton Riverside should be included. It would be two different DLC.

6. A Rail Fan From Wokingham

It is not uncommon of an electric SWR train to head on to the North Downs Line which is unelectrified. I would suggest the Shepperton Branch, The Waterloo rounder both Hounslow and Strawberry Hill ones, Ascot to Alton, Aldershot to Ash Line, Windsor & Eton to Waterloo, Reading to Gatwick Airport, Wokingham to Staines Line, Ash Vale to New Malden Line, Surbiton to Hampton Court Line & Virginia Water to Weybridge Line as one route.

7. Cyclone

See this. I showed the Waterloo to Waterloo service in this suggestion for Waterloo-Reading and included that branch in the suggestion.