Northeast Corridor Phl - Nyc

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Typhomat, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

One of the first DLC routes from the Train Simulator series, this route offers a lot of possibilities for TSW. Replicating the whole Philadelphia to New York City portion would be an awesome feat and a great addition to the new simulator. Although it is long, there is a lot of potential.

The route offers the possibility for Amtrak, NJ Transit , Norfolk Southern and CSX operations as well as many more opportunities. This can allow for the addition of the Acela, ACS-64, a potential resurrection of the AEM-7 alone just for Amtrak. Beyond that, the whole fleet of NJ Transit stock can be replicated for use on this line as well. It also opens the door for SEPTA to be introduced depending on licensing.

Although south of Trenton station the current known operators with agreements with DTG are limited and at this point could only feature Amtrak and freight operations, along with movement for NJ Transit equipment to the Atlantic City line, Philadelphia provides a great stop for the Acela and other Amtrak services.

With yards like the 30th Street yard, Morrisville Yard, MMC Yard, and Sunnyside Yard, there are great starting and stopping points along with the various sidings that run along the route. I think this route overall offers a large variety, and would be a nice update from dated route featured in Train Simulator.

• Like Like x 6
  2. NEC_Male_TC

NEC_Male_TC Active Member

If Dovetail Games does remake the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor, then they should either have it go from New York to Washington (the whole ex-Pennsy section of the Northeast Corridor, as one route, no dividing it into two separate routes in Philadelphia).

Or, they should make the section from New York to Philadelphia with the inclusion of both the Princeton Branch Line from Princeton Junction, NJ to Princeton, NJ as well as the line to Hoboken Terminal from Kearny. That way, Dovetail Games can include not just Amtrak trains, but also New Jersey Transit trains in the route's standard package and we can have an increased amount of fun and realism for the New Jersey Transit operations of the route. Dovetail Games has licensing for both railroads, so I believe that if they're going to remake the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor, they include New Jersey Transit trains as well as the line to Hoboken Terminal from Kearny and also the Princeton Branch Line.

Plus, I don't support verbatim remakes of default routes from other train simulation games nor do I support routes Dovetail Games made for Train Simulator 2017 being made for Train Sim World, which is why I say that they need to be original in their offerings, where you can explore territory that you couldn't explore on the old route from a previous train simulation game, whether it's an extra branch line or more mainline trackage.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

My group and I are planning the development of the entire NEC from Boston to Washington. One continuous route. Will take years, but we are willing to do it.

More details on this endeavor to be released at a later time...once we know more about the TSW editor (features, limitations, etc)

• Like Like x 4
  4. Typhomat

Apparently DTG has taken a trip to Amtrak sometime over the past summer according to Facebook comments, who knows if this might be what we see, but one can hope! Be nice to see the Acela and ACS-64 along with NJ Transit and even potentially SEPTA content enter TSW

5. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I agree with the remake of routes. The LIRR happens to be apart of the NEC and it’s the only missing key component of Penn Station that has been left out in TS. The LIRR needs to be made for TSW, the realism would be incredible!!!

6. NEC_Male_TC

There's also some very high quality screenshots of the cab of a New Jersey Transit ALP-46A cab interior on Michael Whitely's website. http://michaelwhiteley.artstation.com/projects/ay5vL

Maybe these are clues that Dovetail Games will be doing the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor for Train Sim World with not just Amtrak trains included in its default package, but New Jersey Transit trains too. That would be great because then the included trains wouldn't be 100% Amtrak like with the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor for Train Simulator 2018 and the default MSTS and Trainz Northeast Corridor routes. Dovetail Games has partnerships with both Amtrak and New Jersey Transit, so it can be done to have both railroads represented in the route's default package.

Now, if Dovetail Games does [re]make the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor, then they must make the line to Hoboken Terminal from the Kearney Connection since it runs parallel with the Northeast Corridor and you can even see the line and the trains on it from Secaucus both in the real world and in Train Simulator 2018's North Jersey Coast & Morristown Lines. The inclusion of Hoboken Terminal in the North Jersey Coast & Morristown Lines is proof that it can be featured in Train Sim World for the Northeast Corridor as well, I don't see any logical excuses to not include it. I also believe that they should also include the Princeton Branch Line since that's less than two miles long and attaches to the Northeast Corridor at Princeton Junction.

No track-for-track verbatim remake of the Train Simulator 2018 New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor please.

7. Lawjester

Since DTG has already done the NEC NYC-PHL I think it’s time they really focus on something that has been left out for years. The LIRR has not been done and I believe it should be the most prioritized route in the NEC.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Looks like those interiors were done for TS2018

9. Typhomat

Those cab models look like they are for the TS20xx although that is an ALP-46A and not an ALP-46. Regardless, the models might be converted to TSW depending on how they were made.

As for what Lawjester said, although I agree, something like the LIRR would be nice and different, the NEC does have a lot of flexibility. Almost the whole route is shared between Amtrak and local transit agencies, so it opens up the doors for a variety of DLC. Although a lot of that DLC exists, the NEC is Amtrak's top route, and it would be fair for something that TS20xx couldn't present in true form be properly recreated in TSW.

I personally like the idea of Amfleets and the Acela being fully created, along with NJ Transit and Metro North. I think it opens the doors for a lot of content, and history shows that DTG has favored the major routes in the NYC region. PHL to NYC would be optimal in my opinion, because there is a large diversity in speed (with the constant tension catenary upgrades, trackspeed for the Acela between Trenton and New Brunswick will be increased from 135 to 160mph) and as I've pointed many times before, in services. I expect if the NEC is chosen, it would probably be closer to Trenton to NYC realistically because of length and licensing with NJ Transit, but I hope DTG can throw in a surprise or two.

10. NEC_Male_TC

Gee I hope it wouldn't be just New York to Trenton. That's too short and the route would end abruptly at the Trenton Station, which wouldn't look good and wouldn't be realistic for Amtrak operations. I really would hope that it would be at least all of New York to Philadelphia section with the inclusion of the Princeton Branch Line and the line to Hoboken Terminal. That's fair.

11. Lawjester

It’s not a bad idea but I don’t like the part that it’s already been done already by DTG just for TS. I would much rather something like the LIRR or Metro North Hudson line which hasn’t been done yet, then NYC-PHL. Their are many NYC options and I think DTG should choose the ones they never made for TS or TSW. LIRR and Metro North seriously need to be made!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. NEC_Male_TC

Well I agree with that. I'd rather have the Hudson Line or a Long Island Railroad route for Train Sim World over the Northeast Corridor, but since this topic is about the New York to Philadelphia section of the Northeast Corridor, I thought I'd mention my views on it.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alex01

Alex01 Active Member

its tommorow 18:00 uk time

14. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Not intending to necropost, although certainly better than starting a whole new thread, having operations extended down to Philly, and perhaps one day out to Harrisburg, would be awesome. That would allow for SEPTA to be present (Paoli/Thorndale line) and being able to jump between different services by different operators within the same map would be the first step in actually making the 'World' part of Train Sim World mean something.