Northeast Corridor: Washington, Dc - Philadelphia (1950's To 1970's)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Daniel Gibbs, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs Active Member

The Northeast Corridor was one of the busiest passenger rail corridors in the United States and still is today. The Northeast Corridor runs from the US Capitol, Washington, DC, to Boston, MA. Prior to the Amtrak era, it was jointly operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York, New Haven, and Hartford Railroad (formally known as the New Haven Railroad). It was operated by the New Haven Railroad from Boston to New York and the Pennsylvania Railroad from New York to Washington, DC.

While we currently have two sections of the Northeast Corridor (both of which are set in the modern Amtrak era) available for Train Simulator, New York to New Haven, and New York to Philly, I would like to suggest the 135-mile section of the Northeast Corridor from Washington, DC to Philly set between the 1950's and the 1970's.

As part of the route suggestion, I think the route shall include the unique and very popular PRR GG1 electric locomotive with 4 liveries (Brunswick Green and Tuscan Red Single Stripe and Five Stripe), the PRR E44 electric locomotive, and maybe perhaps a few era-appropriate diesel locomotives. Additionally, it shall include a variety of PRR passenger equipment as well as a variety of era-appropriate freight equipment.

I would also like to suggest a separate "Retro Pack" for the route, which would include the EMD AEM-7 (with and without ditch lights) in Phase III and Phase IV, a variety of passenger equipment in Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, and Phase IV, as well as Conrail locomotives and freight equipment.

Cast your vote and leave a comment if you have any other suggestions or comments!

• Like Like x 7
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The GG1 we currently have is old and very outdated, would be nice for it to be redone, as well as adding in more of Pennsy's other electric locos.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daniel Gibbs

I agree. Plus, all we had was the PRR Brunswick Green and PRR Silver schemes.

Ohh, I forgot to mention in the thread, I think it should also include the GG1 in PC Black.

• Like Like x 1
  4. treid09

treid09 Guest

Nicely written proposal! You've got my support. Especially like the idea about the "toasters" in the Retro Pack. I am a huge fan of vintage Amtrak equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. prrsteamfan

prrsteamfan Member

I like this idea a lot! It’ll be nice to have the “missing link” of the NEC as well! Something like the E44 would also be right at home in any of the eras mentioned. Another suggestion though, the Perryville-Columbia branch would be an excellent addition into this route for some variety for those that enjoy electric freight operations.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Daniel Gibbs

And speaking of vintage Amtrak equipment, unless another dev beats him to it, Digital Train Model will likely make the Amtrak E60.

• Like Like x 2
  7. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

That sounds nice. As much of a flop as the E60's were in their intended service, they were pretty interesting machines to say the least.

• Like Like x 5