Northern Transpennine For Ts Classic

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by 749006, Apr 19, 2022.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In a thread about the new Leipzig - Riesa - Dresden route atomicdanny mentioned it used elements from the TSW2 Leipzig S-Bahn route

So if a route or it's assets in TSW2 could be used in TS Classics then the NTP would be a good choice
    And like NTP it should be set in BR Blue days as the stock for the route is already available 45, 47, 56, 101, 105 and it solves the problem of not having a license for Trans Pennine Express or having to make the Class 185s or the Mk5 stock.

The route should be extended beyond Leeds thru to York to include Neville Hill depot and Newton Heath depot at the Manchester end the same as as NTP does.

What do people think?

Peter

• Like Like x 3
  2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Yes I would love to see this route released for TS Classic. An extention to York would be very welcome, maybe even through to Scarborough. I would love to see it go to Liverpool too but that may well be asking too much.

3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I'd definitely like to see a version of NTP come to TS but maybe in the late 90s and early 2000s (not that I'm against routes set in the past as I love the old diesels).
    There's the freeware route on ATS from Manchester stations to Huddersfield which would be awesome if it were extended to include Leeds/York as well as Wakefield and Castleford/Pontefract.

Would also love to see the Scarborough line from York come to TS.

4. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I would say no simply because for those of us who play both TSC and TSW, it wouldn't really offer a new experience, unless it were to include a significant portion new track e.g. via the Calder Valley instead of via Huddersfield.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The new experience would have the route built properly with a further run than is available in TSW2

The Calder Valley route would take you via Halifax so no loco hauled trains being a dead end.
    Or via Mirfield and Dewsbury - but that is in TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  6. AirbourneAlex

What's wrong with the TSW version, do you mean it isn't long enough?

7. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I may be a soft southerner with a penchant for electric things but I'd be delighted with this in TS.

The problem with the TSW version is that it's in TSW; a thoroughly underwhelming simulator.....at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

[1] it is not long enough
    [2] the lack of being able to use other locos without writing your own scenarios
    [3] the modelling of the route is rubbish compared with TS.
    Signalboxes are missing even though the semaphore signals are visible -
    In TS I can just put in one of many different Signalbox but I cannot in TSW

• Like Like x 1
  9. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

The true Calder Valley route goes from Mirfield to Rochdale and Manchester Victoria via Todmorden. It was the first trans Pennines route much earlier than the LNWR route via Huddersfield and even today carries heavy freight. Yes please to that. I live in Mirfield.
    The line to Halifax was to give a more direct route to Bradford rather than the Spen Valley route from Mirfield to Low Moor.
    I agree that what is wrong with the TSW route is that it is TSW ( no more need be said).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  10. AirbourneAlex

I agree it needs some more locomotive/multiple unit variety and a few more services but it's still a good route.

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If the route was released in that condition for TS20xx there would have been a lot of complaints
    TSW users seem to accept any rubbish it they can use their consoles

12. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do think the TSW version is too short, it didn't bother me at first as it was a route in my favourite era and I loved the stock which came with it. However when you can play longer routes in TS Classic, and routes where each end makes some sense then suddenly NTP is lacking. I doubt a driver would have taken over a Newcastle to Liverpool service at Leeds then relinquish it at Manchester, and that spoils some of the immersion for me. I am not sure the timetable is as realistic as it could have been either.

13. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

All of that. Also it's set in possibly the dullest era for the line. Any colour you want so long as it's Blue. I'm baffled as to why they didn't build a Class 110 or a Pacer to make it more interesting.

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

"In 1989 many of Victoria's services from the north were diverted to Piccadilly and in the trans-Pennine services were also transferred. Victoria was reduced to six platforms."
    Set the NTP in any year after 1989 the station would be different, Red Bank sidings would have gone and no LH trains.

• Like Like x 3