1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notes About Session F07-1 "manifest Switching - Deliver The Cars"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, May 26, 2018.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Another excellent switching session from the free NEC freight pack!
    Everything ran smoothly, through a series of at times complex switching maneuvers until I had almost reached the end (of course, one of the features that make TSW scenarios and sessions so different from TS is that one does not know when the end will arrive, since the complete task list is not revealed until that point).
    Following orders, I stopped my train at Oak Point Yard Siding 04, left the cab, and uncoupled the five boxcars I'd been hauling. The next order instructed me to stop at one of those unnamed "locations" ahead, which I did -- only to see another train heading right for me! Before I could reach for the ESC key, it pulled up and coupled to my engine head-to-head.
    Having saved the session not long before, I did hit ESC, dropped down to the Main Menu, and restarted the session from that save point. This time, I drove to Siding 04 as fast as the speed limit would allow, uncoupled, and ran back to the cab. A quick check of the 2D map showed no other train in sight, but a switch that had to be changed before I could continue to the next destination did not react to several mouse clicks. I left the cab again, ran to that switch, changed it manually, dashed back to the cab, set the reverser, released the brake, and headed north as quickly as possible. Looking through the cab window, I could see that other train approaching again (where had it come from?). It stopped briefly at the switch I had changed -- evidently waiting for it to change back to its previous setting--and then it, too, proceeded north, passing me two tracks to my west as I reached what proved to be my final destination.
    Whew!
    My "after-action" SWAG is that I had driven too slowly throughout the scenario and should have completed those final maneuvers well before that AI freight (yep! a garbage run) passed through on the way to its final destination.

I can't speak for anyone else, but these NEC switching sessions certainly have their exciting moments.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  2. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I have had something like that happen before.