Nvlddmkm (display Has Stopped And Recovered) Constantly

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by LT586, May 30, 2019.

1. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Hello all

I worry when I ask here as I am not sure of the response but i'll try - playing TS2019, done benchmarks with my GPU - Zota Nvidia GTX980 which after 8 hours no problems - when or if I update the GPU driver, it's not compatible, so nvcuda.dll (something probably to do with the signatures of the dll file doesn't allow TS2019 to run full screen or windowed) so updating my GPU driver is redundant.

But the driver I have which works with everything; i keep getting the display black out and return and when you search for this issue which is common with Nvidia cards, there's no solution to it but it was working fine in December? Just done a clean install of everything, used DDU, command prompt to remove old drivers as well, went through and removed all traces of Nvidia and re-installed, still no effort. I also have done a fresh install of TS2019, completely new removed all addons, and folders.

I've set TS2019 32bit and 64bit to maximise the usage of the card and still it drops out when the FPS hits a low point. So not sure what else to do, it's really irritating as after so many display crashes it'll crash the game or my system!

If anyone can help that'll be superb.

2. PTPhreak

PTPhreak New Member

I also have the problem that the graphics driver crashes repetely.. My gpu or my system is not 100% stable so I running the card a bit downclocked, works fine with games like fernbus sim, rs2 Vietnam, rss siege and 3dmark stress tests.. but not for ts..

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

TS uses an old version of DirectX as it's engine so having a not so stable system may cause more crashes than software based on more flexible, more up to date engines

4. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi LT586,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with playing TS and the display driver constantly stopping and restarting.

I wanted to relate a personal experience with this exact same issue a few years ago in case it helps with your situation. My problem was ultimately traced to a faulty VRM on the GPU, that was running way hotter than it was designed to - ultimately a failed card but was only showing up under very specific circumstances. Numerous games worked perfectly but there was just one that was causing the display driver to stop and restart every time.

This might not be your issue but there is a way to validate whether you have a genuine problem with your GPU (sometimes it comes down to silicon lottery) or whether it's just Windows being overly sensitive when it comes to your particular brand of GPU - and there's a way to make it less sensitive - a trick I use whenever this comes up with other games I play.

Firstly, a bit of background. In case you didn't know, Windows employs a tech called Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR). This tech determines whether a device has responded in an appropriate amount of time or not and, if not, restarts the device driver to save you having to completely reboot your PC. If you're old enough to remember this from older versions of Windows, it was really annoying to have to do a complete reboot just to get a display working again or even just any device.

Some of the most common causes of the TDR error messages are usually due to having a lot of background applications/process running which are also requiring effort from the GPU (if you use Chrome and you have numerous tabs open, this is a major culprit). It can also be caused due to problems with specific display drivers, an overheating GPU or a failed component on the GPU.

TDR has a preset time period in which it looks to reboot the display drivers. You can change this value by editing your computer’s registry. Although the process is pretty simple, be sure to take extra care when tinkering around with your computer’s registry. I'm only suggesting this as it helped me figure out if it was just Windows being overly sensitive or not:
    1. Press the Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog
    2. Type regedit into the Run dialog and press Enter to launch the Registry Editor.
    3. In the left pane of the Registry Editor, navigate to the following directory: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control
    4. Click on GraphicsDrivers in the left pane to have its contents displayed in the right pane.
    5. In the right pane, right-click on an empty space and select New to expand the context menu. If you are using a 32-bit version of Windows, click on DWORD (32-bit) Value in the context menu. If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, click on QWORD (64-bit) Value in the context menu.
    6. Name the new registry value TdrDelay and press Enter.
    7. Double-click on the TdrDelay registry value to modify it, type 8 into its Value data field and click on OK.
    8. Close the Registry Editor, restart your PC and check to see whether or not the problem still persists once it boots up.
    This should solve the problem of seeing the error message repeatedly but it will mean you will need to restart your PC if you experience a display driver crash. If you do end up in this situation, it's highly probable that something's not right with your GPU and the fault is only showing up under very specific circumstances.

Hope this helps

Best, Steve

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Steve, where have you been man! This is what I used to get as a technical support. Daniel is no help at all, sorry to say but finally someone can clarify the exact issue.

Thank you; when you spend £400 or so on a card this isn’t a whimsical replacement even though my card is now 4 years old.

I have done all of the above but i gather it is specific to this game because I get 100FPS on certain routes and 60-80 on others but with TsW i get 60 FPS straight.

The issue Steve is when the FPS is at 15 or so in TS2020 - more so the New Southampton to Portsmouth route, first career scenario starting at Waterloo.

Silicon Lottery; Is it worth taking off the heatsink of the GPU and checking the VRM chip or is it embedded in a way it cannot be easily spotted.

But I will be replacing it soon, but what can cause the VRM to fail so I can be sure to check before upgrading.

thanks again Steve; brilliant response

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  6. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi LT586,

Been hiding! ;)

Just out of interest, have you tried rolling back to an older driver?

The 15 fps issue is exactly the same as I had with mine. What would happen is the GPU would be working normally and then all of a sudden I'd get like 15 fps and then the driver restarts - there's always a delay between getting 15 fps and Windows restarting the driver. The only way I could get around it until I found the TDR tweak was limiting the frame rate in TS to 30 fps and downclocking the card. If you've not tried it, might be worth seeing if it solves the problem. If you're not sure how to do that, just add -FPSLimit=30 to your Launch Options in Steam.

On the VRM - sadly, not an easy thing to spot. You'll need an oscilloscope to check a VRM is functioning properly and probably a few years of electronics training. If you have no qualms about removing the heatsink, you could always check to see whether TIM has expired (Thermal Interface Material - sometimes it does go hard and is not very efficient at transferring heat) and the thermal pads are properly seated on the RAM and VRMs.

As for what can cause a VRM to fail - typically, can be a multitude of things - component lottery (some are just manufactured with inherent defects that can be more prone to failure than others, even from the same batch); overheating; over-voltage (pushed the card a little too hard with an overclock... normally get this with a factory overclocked card); and generally just age.

One other thing you can try is a slight underclock of the GPU - drop it down on both Core Clock and RAM Clock by the smallest amount you can (some cards can allow you to do 1% and others' minimums are 3%) and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then you'll likely have the same problem I had.

Best, Steve

7. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve for the detailed response yet again. This all sounds about right i’ll try until I fork out for a new one, Zotac said the same thing but wasn’t able to assist further due to the warranty expired (built to last until then)

Ive never had a GPU do this before hence the questions funnily enough it runs TSW fine. Just TS2020 is the issue every other game is fine, low and high FPS.

Its a stock overclocked card so will down grade it and see what happens I do have thermal paste there too to see if that helps

thanks
    LT586