Xbox Oakville Or Wcl?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nockwurst, Oct 2, 2022.

1. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Looking to pad out the routes I never bothered with before.

I live near Oakville, enjoy freight routes.
    Read the horror stories pre-TSW3 about the issues. Hopefully fixed since?

or

WCL. Love the UK routes. Have all the rest, TVL and NTP have become two of my favourites.
    Read the distaste for this route from a lot of the forum.

Any thoughts? Appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

WCL is an absolute gem of a route, especially when you have the NTP layers, and I have racked up thousands of miles on it and made it my second favourite route after NTP. Thrashing the peak on the uphill sections does bring a lot back. The 37 is also nice to drive and has a few interesting scenarios. My word of warning would be not to drive the 150 as the sound is a bit dodgy but I prefer my locos anyway so it don't bother me.

• Like Like x 3
  3. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I fully enjoy Oakville but I am a CN fan and so anything that reps them would be nice as far as I am concerned. I have experienced minor issues with it, but nothing that would turn me off the route. The carry over from TSW2020 / TSW2 to TSW3 created a few glitches but they are working them out. I wouldn't let that be your deciding factor. I did not experience most of the "horror stories" and didn't find it that messed up. I enjoy it all the same. I just wish the locos in it were included in the Livery Designer as I'd like to repaint them. There's not enough variety in LD right now with just the Cajon Pass route when there are 2 more locos sitting in CN that aren't yet (or maybe never?) accessible even though the freight cars are. What's with that?.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nockwurst

I didn’t realize NTP layered in. Definitely another plus.

5. matt#4801

matt#4801 Well-Known Member

Yes NTP adds loco hauled passenger services and a few shunting/stock move services at Penzance which is neat. Also the 101 layers in for the 150 services as well.
    Just so you know to get these extra NTP services you need both NTP and the heavy freight pack but is absolutely 100% worth it though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

Both are good, but I prefer oakville cuz of the 150 being poorly implemented in terms of physics and sounds. It's been updated but I still don't like the train. Scenery could also be better but not terrible by any means. Definitely worth it for all the other trains that sub into the route.

I like oakville cuz it's fast freight. Mostly end up end runs with both trains and some switching.

Both good in their own ways.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

It’s a bit like asking whether you want the electric chair or firing squad… (IMHO).

Oakville probably my least played route. Very short with a mixture of A to B moves and pointless switching.

WCL I refunded due to the poor quality of the route and the absolutely dire Class 150, which Rivet keep saying they are going to fix but don’t seem to have a clue.

Personally I would probably plump for Oakville as at least the route and stock is professionally finished even if totally boring. And I would definitely not pay full price for either of them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. whiteleym#4287

whiteleym#4287 Active Member

How is the 150 in WCL after the update? I saw a YouTube video and the physics did look somewhat improved compared to previously.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rennekton#1349

There are other issues such as the revs not increasing above notch 4 which is going through testing. The sounds got worse. There is a very noticeable pulsing/looping at full power which only goes away at the engine transition. It still has the weird background train noise that was present at launch.

• Like Like x 2
  10. nockwurst

Would love to get them on sale but of course we know Xbox sales are extremely few and far between, except for the Game Pass discount.

• Like Like x 1
  11. whiteleym#4287

whiteleym#4287 Active Member

Such a shame, the Sprinter family is something I would love done well in TSW3. I was hoping the patch from Rivet would fix things but it seems to have created new problems. I'd gladly pay full price for a quality 150, hopefully they keep working on it.

12. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

I bought WCL on sale a few months ago and was initially a bit underwhelmed, although I still liked it because of the detailed train and station models as well as the atmosphere. Getting NTP and the BR Heavy Freight Pack completely changed that, though. It freshens up the timetable with tons of new passenger and mail services as well as some very cool shunting operations, especially at and around Penzance. Being able to drive on the St. Ives branch is a lovely experience, although I would’ve liked them to potentially prioritize the Falmouth branch instead of adding the mostly bland section to St. Austell during development. The 150 recently got some physics updates and you won’t notice any issues with the sound or driving experience unless you’re very familiar with these trains. I hope they’ll implement working PIS (as promised) one day since the models of these screens are already present at the stations.

All in all, the route sure had its problems at release (some of which still remain), but the incredible NTP/Freight Pack layer and some good post-release improvements have turned it into a formidable DLC.

Regarding Oakville, I‘ll probably be getting it once the passenger timetable is implemented. It looks like a fun and unique experience, albeit a bit limited and bland at the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Wait! What? There’s a passenger service on the table for Oakville?

14. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Not yet but soon
    Although it will use the Baby bullet caltrain as an layer i think?

15. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Well that’s bogus. It should be VIA or GO FP40s, shouldn’t It?

16. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

License mate

• Like Like x 1
  17. Both superb routes, but with the extra layers wcl has more variety of trains.

• Like Like x 3
  18. BigSteveDexter

BigSteveDexter Active Member

Both are awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. OldVern

Adding to my post above, I gave in and purchased WCL in the sale. The 150 is indeed still pretty dire as regards sounds although the physics seem better. The odd engine sound I can just about live with but the flange squeal is dreadful, like a zombie out of the Walking Dead. I did try the mod but unfortunately that makes the track joints sound like a massive clunk so had to remove it. Seems obvious Rivet have thrown in the towel as regards further fixes to either the route or the 150 so it is what it is, to use the old cliche.

20. rennekton#1349

The good thing is you don't have to drive the 150 lol which is what I do. I drive the other locos that layer on.

• Like Like x 1
  21. OldVern

Yes the 150 only necessary to progress Journey mode. One route where I will probably leave that part to one side.

22. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

WCML is such a great route and train to drive. River games have improved the physics and sounds for it and it's got great scenary (if not entirely realistic). Would recommend 100%! :)

23. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I like Oakville a lot, even though it's still an unfinished route with so much untapped potential and still awaiting a patch.

But what really draws me back to the route is the GP9RM, in my opinion still the best North American loco DTG have made.

• Like Like x 1
  24. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

I did not know it was unfinished and waiting for a patch? A patch for what?

Yes it has so much untapped potential. Oakville could be a base platform for future DLCs and route extensions quite Easley.
    And yes the GP9RM… One of my favourites also. I’m not really impressed or a fan of the big monster locomotives in the other routes. It would be nice to have some smaller older stuff from back in the late 70s early 80s.

CN had a cool variety of things. GP40 comfort cabs, the GMD-1 very uniquely Canadian, and the “Sweep” a CN home built variation on the RS1200 switcher combined with GP9 long hood. All would make great DLCs.

Operations and route potential is also way up there with the possibility to add passenger services and perhaps some other industrial/switching opportunities. The route could be expanded by having an add-on for Canadian National in the West running Prairie branch lines perhaps some mountainous areas.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  25. nockwurst

I ended up getting both. Love the layers on WCL, but yes, the Oakville run has a special place for me being so close to home. Very happy playing both.

• Like Like x 3
  26. rennekton#1349

The only patch we are waiting for is the passenger runs for this route (using caltrain mp36 cuz no GO license) for tsw3 or the preserved crew updates in tsw2.

27. nockwurst

Would love the passenger runs. Feels very Twilight Zoneish to drive through the stations and see passengers waiting for trains that are never coming

28. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Oh, back to that. Yeah that sounds wonderful but...
    Unless the proper passenger trains in the proper livery can be used, this is just nonsensical. It would be like using Ronald McDonald instead of Santa for Christmas. It's the realism that attracts most players, and doing unreal things muddies the whole concept. It's supposed to be a representative simulator not a fantasy world of whatever wherever. Not what I signed up for at all. Nor others I would be willing to guess.

I really think they should revisit the VIA / GO thing. There has to be a compromise. It's free advertising after all. Try harder. Make deals.
    Millions of scale model railway models are built and sold each year of these companies, there's no reason for this unavailability for TSW.

DTG Matt DTG Alex DTG Jamie DTG JD talk to Jason Shron et al at Rapido Trains Inc. ( Meet the Rapido Team - Rapido Trains Inc.)
    Perhaps they can give some insight or pointers for dealing with VIA as they have produced many fine VIA and other Canadian scale models under license. Jason even owns some real-life VIA passenger equipment. I honestly think this is absolutely doable if the right situation is reached. And if not there is always the option to backdate a portion of Oakville to the pre 1977 era to use the former CN Transcontinental passenger trains - since you already have the license for CN.

Or.... If Canadian passenger service is a big draw you can always 1) seek permission from CP Rail to do The Canadian (again pre 1977 though), or 2) check into the Rocky Mountain Railway to do the Rocky Mountaineer (Vancouver BC to Jasper & Banff AB) and current. But VIA and/or GO on OSD would be the easiest since the route is already created.

I just wouldn't give up so easily especially since OSD has been around since 2020 ish. There has to be a deal maker out there that hasn't been found yet. Keep trying. As Winston Churchill once said "Never surrender!"

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  29. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Oakville for me. The WCL is the worst route in the TSW library and it doesn’t even resemble West Cornwall. Of the two nockwurst, buy CN Oakville Substation you will not be disappointed.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  30. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

That's the thing. It only really matters if you know the route. If you don't then it's just a fun sprinter route! :)