Oakville Sub And Train Horns: Is It A Quiet Zone?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Easy301, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

You pass an abundance of crossing on this route but I've yet to see to a single whistle board or any crossing signs at all.

What's the prototypical use of horns at crossings on this route? Should all crossing see the horn being used?

I've tried Google searching to no avail. The only thread I found was asking a similar question as I am without any answer unfortunately.

Thank you

2. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

I am afraid the signalling is a bit off in Oakville altogether. E.g. no whistleboards at all (neither in the yards nor on the open track), track speed limit signs not always agreeing with the track speed in the pause screen, the markers of normal/reverse positions of switches (the larger ones with the yellow target for non-main track switches) seem to be the wrong was around (target visible if switch set to straight and the other way around), also the sequence of light signals is sometimes a bit.. surprising.

3. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

The prototype is two long then a short and a long before a crossing. The last long is through the crossing.

no horn entering a station. That’s a rule only in nj and after 1963. You should use the bell going through a station though.

this applies for all us routes

• Like Like x 3
  4. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Thanks a ton, is the entire route in real life an area where you'd sound the horn going through every crossing? This is what I'm really trying to figure out, which areas are prototypically quiet zones ( if any) and which the trains will sound their horn at or if they sound it at roughly all the crossings on this route.

Thanks for the information and trying to help out, while I'm aware of the horn rules in the US this route is based on Canada though I'm sure the rules are similar.

Most routes also have whistle boards and even have them for quiet zones indicating as such but I've yet to see any type of crossing signage on Oakville.

I'm surprised to learn about the horn-station rule being NJ only as there's absolutely commuter services within the US that do this that are outside of NJ. Maybe it's not an FRA rule but some railroads have their own SOPs on their routes asking engineers to whistle as they approach stations?

5. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

This is what I would like to know too.
    According to Rule 14 (l)(i) CROR (Canadian Rail Operating Rules) a whistle post should be located 1/4 mile in front of every crossing at grade (level crossing), but according to Rule (l)(iv) CROR Special Instructions "will govern when such signal (i.e. the two long, short, long at level crossings) is prohibited in whole or in part." So without signs placed and without knowing the Special Instructions relating to our section of track in question, we can't really know if we are supposed to sound the horn.
    According to Joseph Hoevet's usually very well informed site, whistle posts show a black "W" on a white square or white diamond, in quiet zones with a red circle and diagonally drawn line around/across the "W". The latter signs should be placed in locations where special instructions prohibit the use of the horn/whistle except for emergencies (see above).
    So.. I would assume they just forgot to place the signs.

6. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

They may have an sop for some railroads. It all goes back to the freak accident with Bobby kennedys funeral train

7. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Active Member

The main line on Oakville sub could definitely use some whistle boards. Hard to squint ahead and spot the crossings coming at 60mph, especially at night or low vis conditions. At least in TSW3 the crossings seem have icons on the map which helps.

DW

8. sinnere

sinnere Active Member

Metro North engineers have to sound their horn on approach to a station as well.

9. Easy301

Easy301 Active Member

Would anyone happen to know which part of the route usually has whistled crossings or if there are any quiet zones?