Oom Errors And Crashing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GarethDavies21, Jun 12, 2020.

1. GarethDavies21

GarethDavies21 Member

Hello,

Do DTG have any updates on the heavily unstable TS2020 we currently have? It's becoming worse with everyday update and now on some people machines, it's slightly unplayable?. I appreciate it is a big task but seems like we haven't had an update in a while and the issue is getting worse.

2. Ighten

Ighten Member

like a waiter carrying a tray - I think we have reached the point now where they have piled so much on top of what the tray was meant to carry (god knows how many years ago) that they have basically overloaded and broken it

3. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

We can only hope that the requests for a new core are heeded and that the existing DLC is all incorporated into the new core. It will be a challenge that will not be perfect for all DLC and there may be issues, but I am sure the beta testing team is up to the task and there may be other willing participants as well. Hence why I think doing a new version of the game in Early Access is the way to go, so that we can impact development and try to help make the game what it should be.

4. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Not had OOM in three weeks following a reload of all content, even on really heavily overloaded scenarios

• Like Like x 1
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Some people will run a Scenario and then run another and it is then you get OOM

I went in to a route tried a short run - so I stopped that part the way through and changed the loco and tried again
    Still not quite right so I changed some of the consist started off and a few mins later OOM

6. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Never had an out of memory error. No idea why not, don't think I'm doing anything special. Running Windows 64 bit with 32gb ram and 4gb graphic card.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I've had a few. Generally though, it's when TS has restarted after changes and defaulted to 32bit, and I forgot, or just couldn't be bothered restarting again. I do get occasional flat out crashes though... just freezes, or quit to desktop type crashes. These started roughly round about when I installed RWEnhancer and Reshade though. It's only very occasionally, and I'll live with it. Prior to that, I never got crashes at all. It makes you wonder how much of this is due to DTG or due to the massive pile of addons people use, or something with the scenario causing the issue.

8. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

I recently bought the Class 180 on Steam and ran it up on 64 bit as per usual and got an instant OOM error once it loaded in. I tried multiple times on different scenarios but no luck, no third party mods or anything. I asked around and it turned out it wasn't just me, other people have been having the same issue too. Got a refund in the end.

9. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I only get crashes in the editor, sometimes due to moving the mouse to quickly or sometimes it just freezes. I have only got OOM in drive mode once, with one scenario I created which won't load.

Many of these are not to do with memory overload, it seems to be a generic message, although looking at task manager I do get close to my 8gb memory quite frequently.

I don't know if other programs can affect it, when Railworks first came out I used to disconnect from the internet as that seemed to slow it down, although I had a much less powerful computer then. I have noticed that Malwarebytes seems to use a lot of hard drive and quite a lot of memory usage, I am thinking about uninstalling it and just using the built in antivirus software.

10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

There's another thread where somebody pointed out - correctly I think - that the problem is actually with Windows 10, or an update to it which silently turned off automatic page filing (virtual memory). Go into your System settings and reset VM to ~1 - 1.5x physical RAM. Since I did that, I haven't encountered another OOM.

However, I do think that sooner rather than later DTG is going to have to rebuild Railworks' creaky old foundation, which is indeed like a tray carrying way more than it was designed to hold.

11. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

There's probably a memory leak somewhere within TS that's never been isolated and patched.

I think the more RAM you have, the longer it takes for said leak to cause issues.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

That maybe it, but there are people with 32GB still getting OOM errors. Like so many other vague errors, it's probably a combination of things, and no two people's cases are the same.

13. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I have a correctly configured page file and still encounter the OOM occasionally, usually after a long session.

14. theorganist

I have done this and still getting OOM crashes in the editor.

15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ys, that's happened to me. It's become my habit before going into the Editor to reset graphics quality down to default, do my creative stuff, and then reset back to high-fi for driving.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  16. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I very rarely get OOMs in the edit. I have W7HP and edit in 32bit as when 64 was introduced there were problems and have stuck with 32 and W7 because for me, it ain't broke.
    Also in the edit;
    I go offline, things load faster.
    F2 save every couple of minutes, do this when you are looking for the asset you want, buildings etc.
    Don't rush from place to place especially when placing signal arrows over long distances, drag the arrow slowly.
    Don't test drive in the edit, exit the game, wait until it stops running the go back to the scenario. Testing signals in edit doesn't always work.
    When editing for long periods clear the cache every now and again.

By following these rules I seldom get OOMs.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. theorganist

I don't delve in the route editor, I tried once years ago but I don't really have the skills or patience, I am very grateful to those who do though.

In the scenario editor I automatically now press F2 to save, as you know that the one time you don't do it, that is when it will crash, which of course it does, usually after putting in a service which stops at 20 stations! I also often find myself pressing F2 when I haven't done anything! I do use the editor in 64 bit, I wouldn't say it crashes a lot but if I use it seven sessions in a week it probably will crash once in three of them.