Operator Suggestion - Genesee And Wyoming

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mevans193, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Mevans193

Mevans193 Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    This suggestion isn't for a particular route or locomotive, but rather a general operator suggestion to see if there's any interest in this. For those who don't know, Genesee and Wyoming is a shortline holding company that owns and operates railroads around the world, mostly shortlines in the United States, but also owns railroads in Canada, the UK, Netherlands, Belgium, and Poland.
    While the majority of railroads under G&W ownership are single track and seldom used shortlines with a similar feel to the Cane Creek DLC, there are a few with heavier traffic patterns with a similar feel to the Clinchfield or Oakville Subdivision DLCs. Even more interesting are G&W railroads with trackage rights over other railroads, allowing their recognizable orange and black locomotives to show up on heavier used major freight and passenger lines. Some examples of this being:
    • Connecticut Southern which operates several trains a day over Amtrak's Springfield Line.
    • Providence and Worcester which operates freight traffic on the Northeast Corridor between Providence and New York City.
    • Buffalo and Pittsburgh which operates coal trains over CSX's Pittsburgh Subdivision.
    • Utah Railway which operates coal trains alongside the Union Pacific over the Soldier Summit line.
    • California Northern has a small section of trackage rights on the Union Pacific Martinez Subdivision mostly used for locomotive movements.
    • And in the UK, Freightliner often runs on heavy commuter routes.

bp.jpg
    Buffalo and Pittsburgh train on CSX tracks in Pittsburgh PA.

pw.jpg
    Providence and Worcester on the New York - New Haven section of the Northeast Corridor

ut.jpg
    Utah Railway hauling heavy freight on Union Pacific's Soldier Summit

freightliner.jpg
    Freightliner hauling a container service.

With a wide variety of railroads under G&W ownership there is an equally wide selection of power to choose from as well. In America power ranges from the usual GP38-2s and SD40-2s, to older and more unique choices like SD9s or CF7s and even modern power such SD70M-2s. In Canada the GP40-2LW is a popular choice. And in Europe the Class 66 is often seen in the orange and black livery and even electric freight locomotives such as the ES64F4.

Thank you for stopping by and considering this operator. Shortlines are often overlooked but do provide an essential service, and if done correctly could be quite interesting and fun to operate in the game. Not to mention with so many railroads under the same ownership, there's opportunity to have a wide variety of landscapes and equipment modeled while all still being apart of the same larger corporation.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of having more of a Class 2 railroad than a massive Class 1. (Although personally I'd rather have these railroads before they became part of the G&W system.)

• Like Like x 1
  3. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

One Rail Australia, formerly G&W Aus, formerly Freightliner Aus…

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mevans193

Same, the railroads were certainly much more unique before their takeover. Although looking at it from a sales perspective, G&W is seen all over the world and would probably sell a lot better than a local line that would only appeal to people from that area. Local short lines would benefit if DTG could get an American 3rd party on board who would be able get more creative with their route and benefit from being close enough to a short line to get better research. If DTG official were to do a short line, I think something G&W owned would probably the safest choice since G&W has a large scale presence like a class 1.
    On a side note, I’ve actually grown to like G&W, they took over several local short lines in my area, and the tracks are in better condition, and I don’t mind the sight of orange and black now, it actually looks quite sharp on some locomotives, but to each their own. It is still a shame to see so many independent railroads gone.

5. Mevans193

Interesting. I didn’t G&W still had it’s Australian operation. Another good choice if DTG ever does an Australian route.