Out Of Video Error On The Dresden Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by anderson_301182, Jun 6, 2022.

1. anderson_301182

anderson_301182 Member

Good afternoon.

I was several months without playing TSW2 and after a long time I went back to running it on my Xbox Series S and I was very happy with the updates and new routes available.

But I was very sad, because it is still giving out of memory error on the Dresden route.

Is there any solution for this? Is there any procedure I should do?

If this issue is resolved, I intend to buy the new extension and also the Harlem New York route.

I am waiting for an answer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. doomedcookie

doomedcookie Active Member

You've got a long wait. DTG know about the problem

• Like Like x 1
  3. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I'm a pc user but all I know is that the series s has less memory than a last gen console. So you're prone to getting out of memory issues and crashes. It's basically a next gen console with less memory than a last gen console. The base route itself already has a ton of stuff. Layers make it even worse. They know about it and looking at optimizations, etc. It'll be a long time until the fix is ready and released

4. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

And here we go again. It's the hardwares fault. The game is advertised as "optimised for Series X/S". Clearly it isn't. Xbox series S is not prone to more memory crashes. I haven't encountered one except when playing TSW2. TSW2 on Xbox Series S is prone to more memory crashes. Like you describe it all other complex and memory hungry games would make your Xbox series S crash but they don't. I'm sure someone will answer that TSW2 is way more complex. To that person I already reply: start playing other games en realise how complex they are. The memory crashes were already reported in 2021. TSW2 is not a new game. If it was released this year it would make a bit of sense but what I've encountered on Xbox so far with TSW2 has really changed my mind about DTG. Or sales are very poor on Xbox and they don't care or they should be very ashamed not being able to understand how consoles work.

• Like Like x 7
  5. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

You must be joking? A series S has less memory than last gen? How do you think Xbox one X users feel knowing a Series S does practically the exact same but will be supported for the next 10 years by next gen games and for half the cost?! Whereas the Xbox one X has to sit as last gen..

6. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Matt mentioned it during several livestreams and stuff. It does not have a lot of memory. But then again, like the person mentioned above, it isn't optimized for next gen since other games run without crashes.

7. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Which isn't optimised sorry? Series S will receive the next gen timetables etc, but even the Series X struggles with OOM issues just like it's tiny sister Series S.

8. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

The Way the Game is programmed right now, all your DLC will be loaded in the Background.

DTG is currently working on something they call Addon Manager, which will ensure that only what is needed is loaded. According to Matt, this should greatly reduce Memory usage. Fingers crossed

9. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

Aye, and all because someone in the office at DTG missed the line in the Sony handbook that said we're limiting DLC add-ons to 64GB. If they'd spotted that this Add-on manager wouldn't have been needed!

• Like Like x 1
  10. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

Think about it again, The Addon Manager would only have come sooner if DTG knew about the Addon Limit. Just because DTG is aware of a Problem doesn't magically make it go away.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Ah, this again...

One S had 8GB total, of which 3GB was reserved for system usage and 5GB available for games
    One X had 12GB total, of which 3GB was reserved for system usage and 9GB available for games
    Series S has 10GB in total, 2GB of which is reserved for system usage and 8GB of which is available for games
    Series X has 16GB in total, 2.5GB of which is reserved for system usage and 13.5GB of which is available for games

The new consoles make much more efficient use of the memory they have, and it's GDDR5 memory instead of DDR3

Series S technically has 2GB less than One X, but in actuality, the One X's Operating System reserved 1GB more than the Series S OS does, so it's a 1GB difference
    It also technically has the same amount available after its reserved amount as the XBox One had in total, again, before the One reserved a further 3GB of that for system use.
    The thing is, One X had as much as it did as a means of trying to brute-force compensate for the Jaguar CPU limitations. Series S uses a modern one, and therefore can operate much more efficiently with the memory it has, targeting a lower resolution than the One X.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. roggek

roggek Active Member

If you desire, you can play TSW2 with XBox Cloud gaming (requires Gamepass Ultimate!) , you never encounter any crashes since only the route you are playing are loaded from the cloud into the memory.

If you don't prefer cloud gaming, remove some of your lesser played installed routes. (3-5 installed routes is a rule of thumb)

13. Have you tried running in performance mode?

14. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

All the routes and locos I have on my account are automatically mounted. There is no way to uninstall them on the cloud. I did get a few crashes on the Dresden route and London Commuter. It gives an out of memory message and then after you confirm that, the game force quits (says something like the game unexpectedly quit). Even got a crash at the beginning of a service when changing to external camera (London Victoria).

So unfortunately the cloud version in my experience does not make me immune to crashes. It's down to the developer to optimise the memory usage and only mount add-ons when required.

• Like Like x 1
  15. roggek

roggek Active Member

Do you clear the cahe on your XBox?
    Simply turn your Xbox off, wait for it to completely shut down to ensure you don't damage the hard drive, and then unplug your Xbox. You should leave your Xbox unplugged for at least a couple of minutes, then plug it back in and turn it on. The cache should now be clear.

16. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I'm sure this is helpful but is this normal? Unplugging your Xbox to fix issues with games? I'm new to Xbox, I never had to unplug the Playstation to fix issues with games. It does not sound normal when you have to unplug a device to get it working without issues. Why not just restart your console?

17. Princess Entrapta

Restarting means the cache still has power and retains all the data, which it is designed to do. Fully powering down the XBox causes it to wipe fully, fixing any issues with bad data stored in it.

18. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Since when? I've never had a crash on my Series X.

19. Princess Entrapta

Likewise, I've never seen an OOM crash on X, though I imagine it's not an impossibility.

For some time I did get overheat crashes in the game's menus though, when the game attempted to use the full power of the GPU to render them at infinity frames per second.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
  20. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

I never had a crash on this route (series x)

21. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Both Dresden routes have the problem