Passenger Cars That Aren't All At Platform

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by SHINO BAZ, Jan 26, 2020.

1. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

On real railroads when a passenger train reachs a platform normally all passengers cars are lined up with it but in tsw if your stops alittle to soon a few passengercars may still be short of the platform,so if this game goes for reailty why would the game accept your train asing have arrived if not all your passengercars where with in the platform area.you should be told to move your train forward until all cars are within platform.I'm not sure if this a error or not.

2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

In real life, unless the network has CSDR (Correct Side Door Release/Enable)*, you can stop short or overrun, release the doors when you want and whatever direction you want which happens surprisingly more common than you think and goes down as a safety of the line incident for the driver. So I would argue that TSW are making it like reality as it is your responsibility to make sure you stop at the appropriate stop board correctly and release the doors on the correct side (or the guards’ depending on routes and traction).

In fact, if we take it that the guard releases the doors depending on traction and route, it is even more realistic because if you stop short accidentally if you have an ’enthusiastic’ guard whose not really paying attention, they will just release the doors. This is why if you do stop short (or overrun) by accident and you’ve realised, you need to give 2-2 on the bell buzzer to the guard which means “DO NOT RELEASE DOORS.” And then the guard will give you 6 on the bell buzzer which means “DRAW FORWARD.”

When I mean stop short by accident, I mean that you’ve misjudged the braking and you knowingly have stopped short; this has got to be pretty much on a locomotive as you may misjudge the air/vacuum brake due to the large delay for brake release. Whereas, I would not expect this on modern units because of the virtually instantaneous responsive of the electropneumatic braking so wouldn’t expect to misjudge. Although it does happen occasionally to stop ‘deliberately’ short in the sense that you stop at the wrong stop board because you’ve forgotten the train length such as stopping an 8 car train at the 4 car stop board and you’ve not realised until it’s too late- this is an example of a safety of the line incident for the driver.

*CSDR is only used by very few metro networks. The only ones in the UK are London Underground (which isn’t even the mainline and they don’t have conventional ‘train drivers’) and also in recent times Thameslink in the core. With CSDR, you have to stop very accurately to the stop marker before it allows you to release doors and won’t allow wrong side door release (but your manager will still still know if you tried :(). But all the other UK mainline network has nothing to physically prevent the above incidents from happening.

Long story short, TSW have made it like reality. I know I’ve commented about the UK but I’m sure it is similar in the U.S. However, they do need to work on SDO/ASDO because it doesn’t seem to function on the East Coastway. Manual SDO should be easy to implement as you can just select how many coaches/units you want to release via a switch. ASDO might be a bit harder as they will need to incorporate the TMS and balises on track and so far the TMS is not really operational.