PC Pc Or Laptop

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by No.1Deltic, Nov 3, 2019.

1. No.1Deltic

No.1Deltic New Member

Hey people ...

I was wondering if anyone could help guide me in right direction ... I have Train Sim for xbox and I fancy trying it on a gaming PC which Im thinking of treating myself too ...

But due to lack of space, I was wondering how well a gaming laptop would run the game ? Is it better to go for PC or would a laptop be just as good and if so - which laptop would anyone suggest ?

Thanks everyone

2. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

I have a high-end MSI GT63 8rg gaming notebook and it's great.
    TSW works beautifully with all settings at maximum.
    Unfortunately it is very expensive. With the same performance, a fixed PC is certainly cheaper.

3. No.1Deltic

No.1Deltic New Member

Funnily enough - without really knowing what I was looking at - I saw this and thought it looked nice ha ! It is a bit expensive but if it plays the game well then thats all that matters ... money is off my dearly departed gran and many a times i travelled with her on trains so its a perfect way of investing the money ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

Yes, in a sense, it is a good investment.:)

5. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Ask yourself if the added cash for a notebook is worh it. You play a lot on the road / in hotels? If not, go for the way better upgradable (GFXwise) PC I would say.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rftech

rftech New Member

Yeah,if you don't need the mobility.,buy a gaming desktop because the same amount of money will buy you more.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You will need a high end machine anyway. I recommend a desktop for this game. On a good gaming laptop you can play it, but not really smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fpriotto520

fpriotto520 Member

On laptop 32gb of RAM recommended.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

You can play the game on a desktop as well as a notebook, it simply depends on the specs of the machine. Generally with a desktop you will get the same performance you would get on a notebook much cheaper.
    I can play the game on medium settings on a Surface Book 2 in 4k (GTX 1060, 8th-gen low power cpu, 16gb RAM) at 30 to 60fps.
    Those components will not cost you a fortune when building a desktop with similiar, maybe even better specs.
    When you want a notebook, look for something with at least 16gb RAM, a dedicated graphics card (GTX 1660 and upwards should run the gamne just fine), and a recent cpu (both i7/i5 or Ryzen 5/7 should be fine).
    For a desktop, basically look for the same specs, the final cost should be quite a lot lower in the end.
    I believe with those specs you should be able to play the game on medium to high settings in 1080p somewhere between 30 and 60fps most of the time, though that is just guessing, I don't have ther components to test.
    Maybe a budget would be a good starting point for finding a decent setup.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

Using it on the road or at home? The latter i'd say a PC, you can exchange parts that don't work right .... High end GPUs need a lot off watts BTW, but with a laptop battery?

11. kalteVollmilch

kalteVollmilch Well-Known Member

Mobile GPUs are designed to be somewhat powersaving. Without a wall socket about 1 to 2 hours of gaming still should be possible.
    I also assumed that a notebook will mostly be used to game at different locations using wall power, not on the go from the battery

• Like Like x 1
  12. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I travel extensively so the laptop is my only option ... buy that being said, my travel pays very well so in addition to my gaming laptop - I have a great desktop rig I use at home.. If mobility is not a requirement - go for the Desktop -- more bang for the buck.

• Like Like x 2
  13. No.1Deltic

No.1Deltic New Member

Hey

I possibly would play it on train to london and back but generally itll be in the house .. due to lack of space in the house, i was going for the laptop .. but i dont know, maybe able to find a small corner of the house to put a proper gaming pc

14. No.1Deltic

No.1Deltic New Member

Thanks for all your replies .. sorry for not replying sooner - hpuse full of kids + illnesses = no time for myself !

Im thinking of rearranging the living room so will probably incorporate desktop rather than laptop now to be fair after what yous are saying ... !

15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im looking at this currently. Im after good frames and ultra settings for tsw? Also I dont currently have or plan to get a monitor straight away. Would it plug into my 1080p TV via hdmi?
    9DBE33F1-FE88-4B77-BBD3-E8A04266B71A.png

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  16. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

That will work, i would recommend a xBox Wireless Controller and a Wireless Keyboard/Mouse combination to play.
    Ultra Settings for FullHD will be no problem for this Graficscard, on 4K it will get to its limits.
    A nice upgrade to that system would be a Intel SSD 660p in 1TB or 2TB capacity for your games if that Mainboard supports a M.2 slot. They are cheep and plenty fast for games.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive currently got a ps4. Apparently dualshock 4 can connect via bluetooth?

18. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

With the xbox controller its simple, dongle in, connect the controller to the dongle and it works in every game.
    With PS4 controllers it seems to be a bit more work, but i have no experience with them.

19. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

To use a PS4 controller you'd need to use software like DS4Windows as this allows you to set up the controller so it's recognised by Windows as an Xbox style controller.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Interesting that no one has mentioned relative screen size. I'm not familiar with laptops, but don't think I would want to run TSW on anything smaller than my 27" PC monitor.

21. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

Black Friday is coming up Rob39 and No.1Deltic there might be a few bargains about. Although they can be crafty and put the prices up beforehand just to drop them again!

The other thing to consider with TSW if switching from console to PC, or indeed vice versa, is that you'd have to buy the game and then all the routes and locos you were missing again. It can add to the cost.

22. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats the black friday price at PC world. I know, with regards to the ps4. Its a case of do I want to keep buying Playstation dlc and hope the ps5 gets an editor (unlikely) or make the jump now.
    Id planned maybe although I enjoy the German routes and have all the dlc on ps4. I would prioritise, buy TVL, WSR, the 31,33,52 and the heavy freight pack. The steam sales tend to be quite frequent too.

23. TRAXX-Driver

TRAXX-Driver Member

There is a sale going on for the Main Game and some DLCs, maybe interesting for the people who want to switch from console to PC (like me).

24. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Im not unhappy with the PS4 it plays really well, the natural progression would be PS5, but thats a year off and possibly £100 in dlc. Im confident the ps5 would run tsw really nicely, but I want the added freedom and maybe even a crack at route building.

25. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

The TSW editor will be a customised version of the standard Unreal editor. There is frankly zero chance that Unreal will create an editor that can be used on any version of the PS.

26. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

more steps than this?