PlayStation Peninsular Corridor - Freight Engineer Help Req

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trainsstorm#6175, Mar 2, 2021.

1. trainsstorm#6175

trainsstorm#6175 New Member

I am still plugging my way through this Journey and have reached Chapter 3 Freight Engineer, Part 8 UP1 South San Francisco Yard Outbound Duties, but I have got stuck and cannot see what I am doing wrong.

The scenario starts off easy enough by running past then back onto 15 empty cars, pushing them back up the line and then stopping in the zone (normally with ten yards of perfect). Then you must proceed to South Yard on the other side of the tracks. The first switch is manual, the rest are controlled. I pull up to the first switch and stop, get out, throw the lever and set it right. The rest of the switched are already set to snake across the running lines and into the down yard.

However the ground shunt signal on the first crossover is at red and will not change. Asking the signaller get Route Denied message and that's it. Pass it and SPAD Game Over. Do nothing and you can sit there forever. What's going on? Am I not doing something or doing something wrong in the build up to this point? It is very straight forward manoeuvres before hand so I am not sure what if it is me?

The other kind of related issue is that on a PC you can go into the Map and change the switches there - I do not appear to be able to do this on the PS4, is that correct?

Any advice welcome. I have watched a few videos on YouTube of this scene being played, mostly on PC and the signal is always at yellow after setting the 1st manual yard switch....

• Like Like x 1
  2. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

You can do the same thing on PS4. I do it all the time.

As to your main question: Did you check the map for trains that could cause your red signal? Keep in mind that due to how the dispatcher works, that train could still be many miles away and still be blocking your way. I can‘t think of anything else right now. Just to make sure though - you did try the run multiple times, right? To make sure it wasn‘t a one-off oddity.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

You can change the switches on the map in PS 4 as well. It can be a little tricky to hover the cursor right over the switch though with the controller, especially if two switches are close together.

As for the red signal, It’s possible you may’ve taken a little longer (or much shorter) time to get to that point than the videos you saw and you have to wait for a passenger service (or two) to go through. I think I had to wait several minutes once north of the South San Francisco station to wait for both a northbound and southbound passenger service to go through. Check your map down the route a bit in either direction and you’ll probably see one approaching.

In most cases, passenger services have the priority over freight. As they generally move faster, you may get a red and end up waiting even if they’re a few miles out.

• Like Like x 2
  4. trainsstorm#6175

Ah, okay, that maybe a possibility I hadn't thought of, thanks for that.

Can you just explain how you change the switched from the map please? I can eventually get the cursor over the switch and the 'Change Switch X' comes up but nothing seems to change or be indicated as changed in the map view and often when I resume nothing has....I'm really not getting this and end up stopping the loco every switch or walking miles setting up a route manually.....

• Like Like x 1
  5. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

When you hover over the switch and the box to change it appears, you should see a purple path pop up near the switch that will move from one track to the other as you activate it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. met_cui98

met_cui98 Member

It sounds like you are entering the map from the pause menu. Instead, enter the map directly from the game without pausing and you should see the switches change as you click on them.

• Like Like x 4
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

^This. You can't operate switches with the game paused.

• Like Like x 2
  8. trainsstorm#6175

Thanks for replies. Okay, I have now completed this task (Gold medal, worse stop 4yds out!) - the red signal did not occur this time, I think its for two possible reasons: One I took too long last time and as Lamplight / Rynohawk mentioned, I think I would have had to have waited for a passenger train that passed, this time, after I had got to the South Yard. Second was the when propelling the train back at the start of the scene, the section you stop in (red, orange, yellow, green) has a yardage marker and this refers to the yards to the locomotive I have since worked out, BUT this time I stopped as the first freight car got to the action point illumination - this immediately triggered the next action to take and the signal dropped to yellow immediately. The yard markers are misleading in this respect I think and the fact they refer to you/the locomotive might be made a little clearer, but then if one thing I have learned with regards to TSW is not much is immediately obvious!

With reference to the map, I also found out that you can change points from the camera view, which is so much easier! I did try from the pause menu map and that also worked. As an side reference the replies above, on the PC I think you can get to the map in other ways, but on the PlayStation I have only ever been able to see the map from the pause menu - unless I am missing yet another piece of vital information??!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Press down on the giant touch pad in the middle of the controller :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

As lamplight said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. johnny69wells

johnny69wells Active Member

How do I get the chapters?

12. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

If you have the Peninsula Corridor DLC, you already have them. They are the journey mode services;

Chapter 1: Passenger (F40PH) Engineer
    Chapter 2: Cab Car Engineer
    Chapter 3: Freight Engineer (Union Pacific)

Those are the base chapters not including Baby Bullet or Switcher content.

• Like Like x 1
  13. trainsstorm#6175

:o *facepalm*
    I never knew that.....

Thanks everyone.

• Like Like x 1