Train Sim World 3 Pinzadave's Livery & Scenario Creation Thread

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by dave55007, Apr 8, 2023.

1. dave55007

dave55007 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My TSW3 name is PinzaDave and this thread will be a go-to for all my Livery and Scenario creations. I wil be uploading pictures and details about the creations, looking at the challenges and how they were overcome (or not!). It is also a thread for feedback for my creations and an opportunity for ones to ask for specific loco identities and perhaps even for specific liveries.
    Please note though that my geographic scope is UK only. And my livery preference is BR Diesel Green through to BR Blue, ie, late 1950s to mid 1980s. I prefer not to stray too far into the late 1980s and beyond, simply because there are other capable Livery creators doing fine work with those eras. Not to say I won't occasionally stray.
    My first repaints were a ranch of Class 47s in one-off liveries and a couple of Green Class 40s, but more on them later. The first real theme I tackled was Class 08 shunters, specifically those based at Longsight, Manchester in the early 1980s. Many of these were named and I had a few photos, and with the NTP map being close to their home (although I think Man Vic was served by Newton Heath's shunters rather than Longsights) I decided to have a go. It turned out there were quite a few!
    After a quick fling with 'Thomas the Tank Engine', aka 08500 "Thomas 1" in BR Blue, and a crazy brainstorm of Class 13 Master units (13001 and 13003 in BR Blue), I began with 08599 "Gorton" and 08686 "Midland" The hard part was the wasp stripes on either end and I realised I needed to build a 'Base Unit', which would incorporate all the possible components into one loco, which could then be cloned. So, Base Unit 08 has wasp stripes, TOPS data panels, all OHLE flashes, blackened grilles, coloured buffer beams, numbers and coloured rods. The TOPS data panel was a pain and had to be constructed one letter or number at a time, but once shrunk down it is still (partially) legible!
    Enough chat - here's some pics:
    08500.2.jpg 08500.jpg 08599.2.jpg 08599.jpg 08686.jpg
    You can see how changing the bufferbeams and rods is made so simply by merely changing the colour. And yes, 08686 did have faint LMS lettering on one side.

That's all for now, updates to follow...

Dave

Last edited: Apr 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. dave55007

A rake around in my railway trivia reminded me of some of the more unusual locos that could be produced, so the next Class 08 was a departmental one - 97801 'Pluto' still in BR Blue fortunately. It did require a bit more lettering as the bodyside boxes had almost a home address written onto them, courtesy of the Railway Technical Centre. 'Pluto' didnt survive for long and I never saw it.
    97801.2.jpg 97801.jpg

You can see how valuable it is to use plenty of pictures - each loco has minor differences and even the placement of numbers, arrows and OHLE flashes varies from loco to loco. After that brief interlude, I was back to LO's shunters and 08399 Great Central, 08604 Ardwick and 08611 Dewsnap followed swiftly: 08399.jpg 08604.jpg 08611.jpg

Notice the red worksplate on Dewsnap - another addition in very small print! I like the setting of this pic of Dewsnap in the industrial background of Huddersfield on NTP. These last 2 locos had no data panels in the pics I referenced, and such things could change very quickly in reality. Data panels were synonymous with BR Blue, so seeing a loco without one seems odd - incomplete!

Next time - a few more livery variants among the shunter fleet!

• Like Like x 2
  3. dave55007

I've always had an interest in the Departmental fleet of BR and especially the colourful locos and stock of the RTC at Derby, so 97800 'Ivor' was next on my list of to-do's. This loco was originally 08600 and was based at Slade Green depot while in Departmental service. The livery was relatively easy, with the red band being straightforward to produce. The name and associated flowers were a bit more of a challenge, but certainly brighten up the loco.
    08786 was based at Thornaby Tees TMD when it received this livery. Again fairly straightforward to produce, but notice the slightly different design of wasp stripes at the radiator end. Photos are essential!
    08794 was a Leeds based loco that acquired a grey roof on its BR Blue livery. It too has a variation of its rad stripes. 08786.jpg 08794.jpg 97800.jpg

Next time, a different class to look at - how the 47s started it all!

• Like Like x 4
  4. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Nice set of liveries there Dave.

Hentis

• Like Like x 1
  5. dave55007

Thanks Hentis, plenty more to come...

• Like Like x 1
  6. dave55007

So it all began with a Class 47 - way back in 1981! I only started to be interested in railways when I left school, a new job and a bit of money in my pocket meant I could travel, and first York then Doncaster became my go-to spots for railways. Once I had seen and experienced the real thing, I wanted to model it. My dad had a 'OO' layout in the former dining room (my mum never EVER entered it!) but it was steam all the way (LNER, so not too bad!) and I had never been really interested. But now I was, and my first loco was bought - a Hornby Class 47 in BR Blue 47421. No internet ordering in those days and no Amazon delivery. A letter was written to whatever model shop was cheapest in Railway Modeller, complete with a cheque for amount (about £17.00 apparently) and 2 weeks (!!) later, the parcel arrived. I was the proud owner of 47421. It didn't take long for me to acquire paint and transfers and soon the loco was transformed - into another 47/4 in BR Blue! I can't remember the number. It was probably something i'd seen at York.
    Since then, I've had a habit of repainting locos and stock, getting the locos I want and remember. When I transitioned into Simulators, the trend conntinued, first with Trainz and now with TSW3. I do like Livery Designer, but I wish it was a little bit more user-friendly. But that's for another time...
    Back to Class 47s - my first relivery on TSW3 was a Class 47. Although the number of BR Green/Blue era followers on here is relatively small (is the feeling I get, anyway) there were a few who were liverying BR locos and I didn't want to interfere with their excellent work, so I looked out for those niche machines that were perhaps less well known, which is why 47522 in Doncaster-style LNER Green was chosen as my first repaint. Reference pics were sought and I realised the loco went through several variations - (typical of BR!), so I decided to do 3 variants. As of today, although the number of subscribers has not be huge, the 3rd variant - 47522 as "Doncaster Enterprise" has got 25 subscribers. So, I wont be 'trending' anytime soon! But I don't worry - I'm not out to please the masses, just to enjoy the process of 'painting' and modding and if anyone else enjoys it, all the better.
    47522.1.jpg 47522.4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  7. dave55007

Out of sequence with the narrative, but just thought I'd pop these here:
    20230421200021_1.jpg 20230421200218_1.jpg 20230422201256_1.jpg
    43004 in BR Blue & Grey. This is the MK1 version, I've modified it already as I had missed loads of stuff and got the grey area way too small.

43002 is seen in its Crewe works livery of Black and Blue / Grey. It never ran in service in this livery, but up to 43007 were possibly painted like this before BR chose the Blue. There are pics on the internet if you wish to see them.

43116 in BR Blue & Grey. This Power Car was the second to be named (only 43113 was named before it). 43116 became "City of Kingston upon Hull" after my home town and so has always had a special affinity for me. Nameplates are fun to make, aren't they!

• Like Like x 4
  8. dave55007

My slight detour into the world of HSTs has become absorbing and I realised there was need to improve my repaints. I had miscalculated the depth of the grey on the coaches which had a knock-on effect onto the Power Cars, so that had to be sorted on the different sets, as well as the base set. Then I remembered about the extra Guard's windows on the first 151 Power Cars and so added those. Then I thought the cab roof didn't quite look right and discovered the yellow was too high. A tweak with nameplates and coach lettering and all was better.
    20230425144256_1.jpg 20230425144505_1.jpg

I had a play with the prototype livery too...
    20230426143825_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  9. dave55007

Another livery variation - the mixed livery rake! 43029 in early InterCity and Blue & Grey MK3s
    20230428190319_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  10. dave55007

OK, back to the narrative - although I may still add a few HSTs from time to time. ATM, E43064 'City of York' is waiting testing and pictures.
    We return to the Class 47s. After 47522 had been explored, I sought out another 47 oddity and came up first with 47305 in its Thornaby Tees TMD livery variation. Since this was a loco I had seen for myself, and it fit so well on Tees Valley, it was put together swiftly. BR Blue, no arrows, yellow stripe. All done!
    47305.jpg
    Next came 47803, the 'Yellow Peril' reliveried for Infrastructure duties. This had a couple of variations too and they were uploaded. Not a popular livery it seems, but 6 of you are happy with it!
    47803.jpg

With a few 47s out of my system, I was ready for the loco I really wanted - 40106 in BR Green. Yes, the 'Green Goddess' herself, 'the Green oasis in a sea of Blue' was an all-time favourite for me having seen her on a number of occasions over the years. The livery itself was not hard, until I came to the BR Crest. And that was a problem, as there was nothing in the Livery Designer that would fit. It seems odd, as the WSR Class 47 and 09 both have the BR Crest for Green locos, but it was not available separately to add to locos. It would have to be constructed...

• Like Like x 2
  11. dave55007

Once again I got distracted - this time by Peak Forest. While I have little interest in driving Steam locos, Peak Forest will lend itself to BR Green livery Diesels and even (with a little Modellers License) BR Blue Diesels. I really would like the Class 40 subbed for the 8F if anyone is willing (and the Class 20 for the 4F) as seeing a 40 on the ICI wagons would be awesome!
    But I digress. Or perhaps not, as we come to the subject of BR Green Diesels. Why, O why, is the BR crest not available in the Livery designer? All the steam locos use it, as do the Green Diesels mentioned previously, but not a sniff of it in the Layers tabs. My desire for 40106 in Green as running in the early 1980s was almost scuppered by this lack, until the decision was made to "make" it. I searched to see if it could be constructed from parts available, but nothing stood out - it would have to be scratch built.
    I didn't record the process of making 40106's crest, but I have done with one of my Class 20s. The process is similar - albeit with fewer layers, my first attempt used 190 layers! My second used 125, which was better.
    You start with a blank loco:
    20xxx.1.jpg

Paint it in the desired livery - BR Green in this case. The livery looks darker in the Designer than in the game, but at least can be tweeked easily.
    20xxx.2.jpg

Other livery aspects are added
    20xxx.3.jpg
    and numbers added
    20xxx.4.jpg
    For the Class 20, there were 2 versions of the BR Crest and I needed both of them. They do use a few identical parts but the basic shape is different, so this was tackled first and the Totem version was shaped and lettering added. Basically circles and rectangles and letters.
    20xxx.5.jpg
    I make them nice and big so that working on them is easier. They can be scaled down at the end.
    OK, thats my 5 pics up for this posting. We'll call it end of Part 1

• Like Like x 3
  12. dave55007

BR Crest for Green locos - Part 2

With the Totem 'parked' out of the way, the Roundel was constructed. This is basically concentric circles of various colours. I start with the largest circle and then clone the next, recolouring it and shrinking it down slightly. That keeps the circles concentric which is a boon. Notice the Totem has a bodyside colour background, whereas the Roundel has a white background.
    20xxx.6.jpg

Here are the 2 versions side by side
    20xxx.7.jpg

with those now 'parked' (on the roof!), I start on the 'common user' bits. The first part is the wheel that the Lion holds. In fact, there need to be 2 versions of this, as one has bodyside background and the other white, but its just a matter of colouring one circle one or the other colour. Again, concentric circles make up most of the wheel, only the spokes are added separately.
    20xxx.8.jpg
    The spokes are added 2 at a time as a cross. This is packed as a group and cloned twice, each group is revolved to space the spokes evenly
    20xxx.9.jpg
    Apologies for the faintness of the cross here, I screenshot it just as it flashed!. This pic shows the layers of the loco to good effect - layers 1-36 are the basic Green livery, complete with numbers and detail additions. The 2 Crest have already used up layers 37 - 89. Notice too the different shades of grey of the concentric circles which produce the pattern of the wheel and that the spokes are midway in the circle layers.
    With the spokes done, the entire wheel is made into one group as it will have to be moved.
    20xxx.10.jpg
    93 layers now with the wheel complete.
    That's Part 2 finished for now. More to follow...

• Like Like x 2
  13. dave55007

Just throw this in here...
    37676.jpg
    One of Buxton's finest - 37676 - waits for the road
    20230516114433_1.jpg

37676 crosses Monsal Viaduct with a Southbound ballast train

Last edited: May 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  14. dave55007

Returning to the BR Crest build... The Roundel uses the same wheel but with a white background between the spokes. This was done by grouping and cloning the wheel, ungrouping and recolouring the green background to a white one.
    20xxx.11.jpg
    With both wheels regrouped, they were added to their respective crests and resized (approx)
    20xxx.12.jpg
    Next stage is the crown. The basic shape is made up of various ovals squashed down and the two curved end pieces added separately.
    20xxx.13.jpg
    The crown's protrusions are made from a number of shapes, none of which are a perfect match but can be adapted. Some are squashed down trees or concentric shapes, including an octogon or 4!. 40 layers for the crown; cloned and added to each crest
    20xxx.15.jpg

That's all for now. The Lion is up next and what a joy that is to replicate!

• Like Like x 3
  15. dave55007

The lion begins as 5 pieces:- 2 sausages, 2 curved sausages and a twirly thing for the head!
    20xxx.16.jpg

With a few more added shapes and a bit of the lower jaw blanked off in background colour, it is starting to take shape.
    20xxx.17.jpg

More of the body is filled in and shaped and the eyes and tongue added
    20xxx.19.jpg

The tail is last to be done, taking the layer count up to about 70 - just for the lion! Finally the lion is cloned, the lower jaw background changed to white and the complete lion added to both the Totem and the Roundel.
    20xxx.21.jpg
    Notice the layer count for the complete crest, about 140. And don't forget, there's one each side, so 280 just for the Crest. Of course I could not do this or other complicated items without the aid of pampaliny's excellent TSWLayers mod, which provides over 65,000 layers! More than enough! The crests are then scaled down and positioned ready for the next Green Class 20 choice. Having a base unit with both crests means that when I clone a subject unit, all I need to do is delete the crest I don't need for that particular loco, without losing anything.
    Next time - Class 40s in Green, finally... (unless something else gets uploaded first)

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  16. dave55007

Just popping these in here - a Green Diesel fest! Peak Forest scenario with 100% Green Diesels. Available on the Hub as "Peak Forest BR Green Days #1 (PFR)", when not taken down for 'whatever'!
    PFR BR Green Days #1.2.jpg PFR BR Green Days #1.3.jpg PFR BR Green Days #1.4.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  17. dave55007

With the BR Crest born on the Class 40 bodyside, 2 locos were in the offing - 40106, the original "Green Goddess" and 40122 (D200). The 2 locos never ran together in service in Green; 40106 being withdrawn in April 1983 and 40122 not receiving its repaint into Green until a couple of months later. The liveries are not identical - check out the cab roofs.
    40106.2.jpg 40106.11.jpg
    40122.7.jpg 40122.17.jpg
    I felt like I had started now. A real contribution to the community. 40106 has remained my all-time highest subscribed repaint and I'm hoping for the day I can add red bufferbeams and make it even better.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dave55007

After the euphoria of Green Class 40's, my attention was deflected to the humble shunter - Class 08. Another member was doing good work with the various locos allocated to Thornaby TMD for use on 'Tees Valley', and I scoured my photos for something he may have missed - and found 08867. I had photted this loco at Darlington in its unique Black livery, named as 'Ralph Easby' and so that became my subject matter. Here the joy was the end stripes and the Thornaby Kingfisher. At least that was in plain white and not colour! The end stripes were first done onto a base model and all subsequent copies were made from that.

08867.jpg

The journey thru my pics had also unearthed another 'celeb' 08 - 08500 Thomas, photted at Doncaster. Now I'm not a major fan of TTTE, but it's a variation on a theme, so it was good to have a go.
    08500.jpg

Next on my list were 2 of the 3 Class 13 M@ster units. An odd choice as they never ran separate from their Sl@ve units, but I wanted to see how they looked. 13001 had no wasp stripes at the radiator end and looks very odd in its faded BR Blue.
    13001.2.jpg
    13003.2.jpg
    Finally today, an example of my main focus - the Longsight TMD named 08s from the 1980s. I was fortunate to see a few of these in real life and they looked great - work weary but still loved enough to be personalised. here is 08599 'Gorton'
    08599.jpg

Last edited: May 30, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dave55007

OK, just realised you've seen most of the above pics from my very first post. Sorry to repeat them. I'll try harder next time!
    P.S. When is this thread going to go onto page 2? - it's a long way down to post new stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  20. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Good liverys Dave!

• Like Like x 1
  21. dave55007

Thanks tft, BR Blue is my era, although as you can see BR Green has a hook in me too! :D I also have an affinity for BR Departmental stock, so have done a few of those too.

• Like Like x 1
  22. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

Let's face it, br have the best liveries!

23. dave55007

They have their moments. BR Departmental Grey never suited anything - its amazing what a splash of yellow did to that livery. And I have a fondness for LoadHaul, albeit not BR. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  24. dave55007

A few liveries I forgot to mention: As well as 40122 / D200 in 1983 Green, I also did another few variations for D200 - original all-over Green, Small warning panel Green and withdrawn Blue:
    200.1.jpg D200.4.jpg D200.5.jpg

Another couple of Longsight's 08s finished off the latest batch:
    08687.jpg 08891.2.jpg
    The completion of these was coincidental with the release of BCC and as I looked at the Class 323, I had a vision...

• Like Like x 2
  25. dave55007

With the release of BCC and the 323, my immediate response was to run BR Blue diesels on it. The Class 101 was a good enough substitute for the 323, but I did wonder "what if"... and decided to relivery them into Blue/Grey. Now I know not everyone likes these "what ifs", but to that extent it was more a personal project.
    Unit 323201 was the 'prototype' and has a number of livery differences to the rest of the fleet. See how many you can spot. The units are all named as per their real counterparts. Up first are 323201; 323203; 323205; 323207:
    323201.1.jpg
    323201.3.jpg
    323203.1.jpg
    323203.3.jpg
    323205.1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  26. dave55007

I've just uploaded a scenario to the Hub, entitled "MML - RTC on Tour". With the RTC of BR based at Derby, it seemed like an obvious project for an 1980's based scenario. It meant the reliverying of several items of rolling stock - Class 47s, HSTs, coaches - and all have had to be uploaded separately too (there were 17 individual repaints to upload!) The idea was a High Speed Test Train between Derby and Leicester, but on testing it I found an unexpected consequence from the AWS system and have left it in!
    The rolling stock list is a bit lengthy, but all is available on the Hub. Search for 'PinzaDave' or 'RTC' or by stock number. Most of the items are genuine RTC reliveries, only the 2 RTC-liveried HSTs and 97561 and 47971 are "what-if's".
    Feedback would be welcome.
    20230611120356_1.jpg 20230611120633_1.jpg 20230611122004_1.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  27. dave55007

Back to the 323s. I seem to have a lot of odd-number units and I dont know why. If I'm not modelling specifically numbered locos, I try to be random, but of course randomness can generate patterns. That seems to be the case here. My next one was 323211 - another odd-numbered one! A couple of even-numbered units seemed necessary and 323218 and 323222 were added.
    323211.3.jpg
    323218.4.jpg
    323222.3.jpg

With the 323s out of my system, I returned to the unending saga of the 08s and 2 specials were added - TS1 and PO1. TS1 had been 08067 and was renumbered by Tyseley Depot for use as their Depot shunter. I believe it was only ever an unofficial renumbering and the loco was withdrawn in 1983. I only ever saw it once, awaiting scrapping at Swindon Works in September 1985.
    08067 TS1.jpg

PO1 was formerly 08173 and was based at Polmadie Depot in Scotland. It too became the local Depot Shunter. But by the time I saw it in November 1983, it had regained its old number of 08173 onto a newly painted cabside. The shunter was scrapped by 1986.
    08173 PO1.jpg

Yet more 08s next time - I'm sorry, there are a few!

• Like Like x 3
  28. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Love your work, always download your liveries

• Like Like x 1
  29. dave55007

Thank you so much, Marcsharp 2. I really enjoy producing liveries for TSW3, probably more than actually running the trains! I'm currently working on an original BR Black livery Class 08, complete with Ferret & Dartboard Crest!. (Edit:- Actually it is the "Lion-on-Wheel" Crest. The Ferret & Dartboard Crest was the second version) The dartboard was easy, the ferret (Edit - Lion) not so much! It wont keep still long enough for me to model it :D
    I do have a batch of Westerns in BR Maroon and BR Green I've not uploaded as of yet. I may have to upload them as I need room in my own collection as I've reached 294 repaints and the limit is 300.

Dave

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  30. marcsharp2

For me it's opposite, I love creating scenarios instead of creating liveries lol. I look forward to seeing your work in the future

• Like Like x 2
  31. TrainGeek08

TrainGeek08 Well-Known Member

Yeah same, I'm more a scenario nerd but I sneak in the occasional livery :)

In regards to the original topic of this thread, I love seeing dave55007 update this thread with the ins and outs of BR Blue livery creation ;)

• Like Like x 2
  32. dave55007

:D Beware of what you ask for! Liveries are my main creations, but I also tinker at scenarios. I think the difficulty for BR Blue scenarios is the amount of rolling stock required. For example, there seemed to be far more in the way of both passenger and freight services, so constant traffic is a must. Also, the inability to populate sidings and yards is so wrong for the 1970s and 1980s. If i did a journey out by train, for example on the Leeds to Manchester TransPennine route, there would be stuff all over the place - around Leeds would be newspaper trains, a shunter or 2, Huddersfield sidings would have dozens of wagons and a few locos and around Manchester would be so much stuff - DMUs from Newton Heath and back, light engines, and locos on standby in the station. (Highlights from an out and back over the Pennines back on Saturday 2nd June 1984 gave us: Leeds 31291; 47008; 47378; 45148; 08766; 45111; 45127; 31444; 47421; 46035; 45138 and 47402 for haulage. 47538 was at Dewsbury; 08579 at Huddersfield; 25054 and 40079 at Staleybridge; 25283 and 45016 at Miles Platting; 08675; 47199; 47061; 25095; 47533; 25278; 45121 and 45146 at Man Vic.)
    Here's an exclusive for you guys: Just up on the Hub, D13052 in BR Black livery with original BR "Lion-on-Wheel" Crest (not the "Ferret & Dartboard" as described above!) Notice this crest is directional - the Lion faces the radiator end on both sides. The crest was almost 200 layers each! Thank goodness I have the mod to increase the number of layers!
    20230623153227_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  33. dave55007

Back to the narrative - I was working my way through Longsight Depot's named Class 08s and 08283 "North western" and 08 820 "Guide Bridge" were next. I was getting adept at turning out these shunters, after all, the hard work was getting a decent picture to check on the detail differences. The nameplates were easy to do - they were, in reality, little more than stencilled letters on a red background. Sometimes it was easier to clone one of the existing LO shunters rather than the Base model - that's how alike they were.
    08283.jpg
    08820.jpg

At this point, West Cornwall had arrived and I looked at the shunter fleet of the UK's South-Western bastion of Penzance. I don't remember much about the local shunters there - I only visited a couple of times and although I probably copped the shunters there, they were most likely bog-standard BR Blue 08s. Only later did they gain an uplifting visit from the paintbrush. I ended up modelling 3 liveries and almost met my match with one! 08645 was the easiest - Black with a white cross, the Cornish flag, and named 'St. Piran'. 08410 in Green was next, I believe repainted by Great Western Trains (?), the yellow and black stripes on the side boxes were a real challenge. They're actually applied from the front of the loco, using the Projection settings. Not for the faint-hearted, but they turned out not to be my biggest challenge. That came with my final PZ shunter 08644 'Ponsandane'. This loco, which I have never seen in real life, was given a coat of InterCity livery. Now, had it been InterCity Executive, I wouldn't have minded, but no, they gave it InterCity Swallow livery! With Swallows! One on each side! And let me just explain something - they're not the same! And I don't mean that one is the mirror image of the other. Oh no, I dream of mirror-images! These 2 are individually unique!! Yes, I would have to make 2. I won't go into the technique I used, other than to say honestly I can't remember exactly what I did and there was probably a much easier way of doing it. I think it involved actually modelling the 'negative' outline of the shape, rather than the shape itself - if that makes sense. And the nameplate was fun too - with italic shading!
    I leave Swallow livery to better Creators!
    08645.jpg

08410.jpg

08644.jpg
    Back to LO next time for a final visit.

• Like Like x 1
  34. dave55007

It had to be done. 08906 "Piccadilly" at Manchester Piccadilly station
    20230629125131_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  35. dave55007

Ok, so the release of Manchester Piccadilly and the Glossop line has come to my favour regarding the Longsight shunters and prompted me to have another look at them. I did a few livery tweaks and decided to weather a few too, and took the opportunity to screenshot a few of them in an appropriate location!
    Here are 08599 'Gorton' at Gorton Station; 08604 'Ardwick' at Ardwick Station; 08687 'Ashburys' at Ashburys Station and 08820 'Guide Bridge' at Guide Bridge Station.
    08599.jpg 08604.jpg 08687.jpg 08820.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  36. dave55007

I'm having a clear-out of some of my lesser used Livery creations, so I'm currently uploading the Maroon and Green Westerns I did a while back. Did you know that if you upload a livery to the Hub and then delete it from your own Livery Designer, you can always download it at a later time back to your Livery Designer. Useful to know!
    Here is D1001 in BR Maroon (I thought I had D1002 in Green too, but seems I forgot to take a screenshot!
    D1001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  37. dave55007

Sorry, I did have a screenshot of D1002 in BR Green
    D1002.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  38. dave55007

After the flurry of LO shunters had subsided (I thought I had done them all, but another couple were lurking), I had a go at a couple of other celebs. First up was 08601, which had been painted into LMS Black with running number 601 and named 'Spectre'. I really like the look of this shunter, in what arguably was the original livery for this type of shunter (albeit with wasp stripes, which were a later addition) I remember that despite my love of BR Blue, one of my early purchases was a Lima Class 08 (09) in LMS Black.
    08601.jpg
    This was followed by 08742, with ridiculously small painted nameplate 'TORNADO'. and no BR Arrow. I think that's more to do with timing rather than lack of transfers!
    08742.2.jpg 08742.jpg

At this point, 08283 was reuploaded - as a new loco - but gently weathered, along with 08611 - more heavily weathered, with cleaned numbers!
    08283.2.jpg 08611.3.jpg

Next time - the return of a previously uploaded class, but in a new colour! But why???

• Like Like x 1
  39. dave55007

Class 40's. You've gotta love 'em! Big, bulky, overweight and cumbersome. But what a sound! That deep V16 engine roar and those whistling turbos. There was nothing quite like them (except Class 20s) The HFP Class 40 is a very good model and I love to drive it. The BR Blue is nicely weathered, reminiscent of the 1980s. But there is one glaring thing missing - namers.
    Although all the named Class 40s (40010 - 40025, 40027 - 40035) had all lost their original nameplates many years earlier, during the late 1970s and early 1980s, a number of the survivors ran with hand-painted names. They were crudely done and lacked the exquisite shipping line crest, but they had an air of nostalgia and romance about them. What a joy it was to be hauled by Lusitania, or Aquitania, or Aureol. Names like Samaria, Parthia and Saxonia had you reaching for the atlas to find their namesakes. Empress of England (40033) was an unusual one - the painted nameplate was about 3 times longer than the original plate!. The names were usually positioned where the original had been, which was obvious by the arrangement of bolts left in the bodysides. 40033's plate must have had very small lettering.
    My first 2 Class 40s in BR Blue were 40012 'Aureol' and 40025 'Lusitania'
    40012.jpg
    40025.jpg

With those 2 done, it was back to Class 08s briefly and my final 2 Longsight ones were added - 08906 seen above and 08915
    08915.2.jpg

That was it as far as Class 08s went, until the release of Spirit of Steam would see me yearning for Green ones.

The next class to be tackled was Class 20 and for a very specific livery. Back in the 1996, I had seen a pair of Hunslet-Barclay Class 20/9s in Hull, on the weed-killing train - 20902 + 20903. I had modelled a pair in 'OO' gauge and also in Trainz, so the idea of modelling them in TSW was an obvious. My first 2 were 20901 and 20904, the other pairing. All the locos (there were 6 in total, a 7th one was never converted) were named, initially after female staff of the company. 20901 was Nancy and 20904 was Janis.
    20901.jpg
    20904.jpg

The challenge with these was the Hunslet-Barclay name and careful use of shapes was required for the shading of the letters.

Next time: another 2, and a Thornaby Class 20 special!

• Like Like x 1
  40. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

dave55007

I was trying the other day to drive one of your scenarios for Peak Forrest. BR Green on Peak .... A double heading Class 20 pulling ~1.700t of ore, IINM. Unfortunately it doesn´t go very far, because there´s a 101 blocking the road. And she wouldn´t move, no matter what.
    You might want to have a look at this.

Anyway, thanks for setting those Diesels on Peak Forrest. This route cries for it. :)

Train Sim World 3_20230720175430.jpg Train Sim World 3_20230722072141.jpg Train Sim World 3_20230722073112.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  41. dave55007

Hi Pipe, thanks for letting me know about Peak Forest - BR Green days #1. There's something seriously wrong with it and I'll need a bit of time to sort it, so please bear with me - and apologies for the wasted time you've had to endure.

:)I agree that joy is a serious matter, but I always remember that joy is a state of heart and is not dependant on our circumstances. :)

• Like Like x 2
  42. dave55007

Hi Pipe and anyone else who has downloaded my Peak Forest Green days #1. I have corrected the issue and it now runs with D300 and oil tankers as the main train, as it should have been. Once again apologies for any wasted time with the faulty version.
    I am looking at doing another Green scenario with the Class 20s and aggregates.
    Don't forget - to get the full effect, you will need to subscribe to my Livery assets on the Hub too.

Regards,
    Dave

• Like Like x 2
  43. Pipe

Pipe Well-Known Member

Absolutely no need for apologies!
    Thanks for fixing it, and thanks for setting this up and share. I´ll give it a run. :)

• Like Like x 1
  44. dave55007

Just been reading a thread elsewhere on the forum and it was suggested that what a livery creator has on their game might not be the same as what a person has who has subscribed to the livery creation. The item being discussed was the BR Arrow, which is available within an unofficial livery pack, and which I have and which I use. It was suggested that if someone subscribes to a loco with the arrow, it will not show up for them if they don't have the unofficial pack. Is this true? Can one of you dear readers please screenshot one of my BR Blue locos (if you have one subscribed and don't have the livery pack!) and I'll be able to see if all is how it should be. The thought of having to construct BR Arrows for all my Blue uploads is daunting!
    Regards,

Dave

• Like Like x 1
  45. dave55007

Before I continue the narrative re. liveries, just a quick message.

I have decided to re-upload all my stock that incorporates the BR Arrow with new arrows that are constructed entirely from standard assets. This will take a little time. If you have downloaded any of my locos or rolling stock with the arrow, you may notice the change. Please be patient for the ones I haven't got round to yet. I am working generally from latest to oldest.

• Like Like x 1
  46. dave55007

OK, so where was I? Oh yes, Class 20s in Hunslet Barclay livery. Next up were 20902 'Lorna' and 20903 'Alison'
    20902.jpg 20903.jpg

Having modelled 4 of these locos, I'd had enough for the moment, so I tackled a loco I had seen at Thornaby TMD back in the day. 20008 was unique in having huge numbers that rivalled the size of Large Logo numbers! I believe there were a few very short-sighted drivers at TE and it was an experiment to help them. Of course, we know it was soon dropped, in favour of barcodes!
    20008.jpg
    It was at this point that I realised that I couldn't actually use the 20/9s on any trains as they ran top-and-tail, which cannot be replicated in TSW3. Although still inaccurate, I decided to do the HB locos in pairs...
    20901+20904.jpg 20902+20903.jpg

And that was it for a while, although I would come back to the HB 20s shortly...

• Like Like x 1
  47. dave55007

It's nice to be able to introduce a new Scenario just uploaded to the Hub. Entitled: Peak Forest - BR Green Days #2 (PFR), it is an self-contained scenario for Peak Forest, but effectively follows on from the previous BR Green Days #1. You may remember that as you run into Rowsley Sidings with your EE Type 4 D300 in #1, there is a PGA train waiting southbound, hauled by 2x EE Type 1s D8024 + D8055. It is these 2 locos you will now be working South in #2.
    20230806105223_1.jpg 20230806105558_1.jpg 20230806105850_1.jpg 20230806105957_1.jpg 20230806110331_1.jpg

This scenario ends at Ambergate where, over on another platform, a Class 101 DMU awaits departure time for Buxton...

Peak Forest BR Green Days #3 - arriving at the Hub very soon!

• Like Like x 2
  48. marcsharp2

So a couple of days ago I downloaded the first part of this scenario. Got going with my freight train and then a couple of minutes later ran into the back of a DMU sat at a station.

49. dave55007

Hi Marc,
    Hmm, this is the second time I've had this scenario flagged up to me. I'll take another look at it. I'll probably need to re-upload it, but I'll have a go on my PC first to check all is well. Bear with me...

• Like Like x 1
  50. dave55007

Ok, I've made an adjustment and ran the scenario and it now runs with D300 and the oil tankers out of Ambergate as designed. I've uploaded it again, so you may need to delete and re-upload.
    Please let me know if all is well, Marc. Appreciated.

• Like Like x 1