Pis Thought

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by man_utduk2002, Jan 26, 2021.

1. man_utduk2002

man_utduk2002 Member

Forgive me if this appears as a daft question but I was wandering after seeing the pis at platforms in south eastern demo and thus showing the next destinations followed by operator name etc I was wandering if this protocol could be applied to the interior led screens so it looks like we had visual next stop announcements ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Not a daft question, hopefully this feature is applied sometime

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's something they've thought of, even though the current PIS system is not correctly built so they need to rethink it
    On the current system all trains through Faversham are shown as terminating at Faversham and stations beyond this are not shown on the boards, the service they showed on stream was a loop service via Ramsgate rather than a service to Faversham, but the screens all showed stops to Faversham and terminating there.

DTG would need to do a list of services and their stops, then only include in the service instructions where you stop and then the boards would show the proper terminating point and all intermediate stations irrespective of the service pattern (could also be used for triggering audio)

I don't envy them though, the Thameslink services from Rainham have 30 stops between there and Luton...

• Like Like x 1
  4. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Ha, I too do not envy the engineers that have to manually code all the stops into PIS systems.

Hopefully the issue with them currently displaying the actual drivable portion of the route will be resolved, however they are making steady progress with PIS, and I certainly love the dynamic PIS on trains that will update according to their route.

5. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Don't have to.
    A single XML file containing a list of all worked services on the route with identifying numbers
    The service specification lists the service ID and this sets the PIS on the stations as far as terminators (and arrivals boards at STP where it has them)
    The scenario then works as normal in which stops are used and therefore sets the task list, but the PIS works from this separate XML file

The XML file can then be accessed for front PIS to give the terminating point and the sides to give terminator and intermediate stations as in real life, inside the passenger cars similarly

Triggers in the route would play appropriate audio in line with the XML values for the route and service

Given that they've now programmed the PIS to work "the same as a display board" rather than working with textures for the whole thing it shouldn't be that difficult (hate that word shouldn't) but obviously there IS dev time involved and it doesn't really add to the driving experience, only the view from anywhere other than the driver's seat

• Helpful Helpful x 1