Please Help!

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by stinger27, May 27, 2022.

1. stinger27

stinger27 New Member

LOW FPS AND SCREEN TEARING

In train simulator i have an low fps and it is very unstable. it will drop to about 45 as a low and get to about 80 as a high. im set at medium settings and am on a 1080p resolution. my display supports up to 120hZ but i have it set to 60hZ. Vsync is off on Nvidia control panel and my fps is locked at 60. When its locked at 60 my fps will not go above 45 and ill have screen tearing (screen tearing still occurs even when i have an unlocked framerate... even at 60fps) running in 64bit also makes no difference https://routerlogin.uno/.

i have tried running at low settings and tried every possible screen and graphics combination that i can think of. not sure what to do. have any of you got any recommendations?

my specs are Ryzen 5 5600h 16gb 3200mHz GDDR4 (duel channel) RTX 3050 4GB C: DRIVE 250GB M.2 D: DRIVE M.2 512GB

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  2. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

45 FPS is not low, many wish they could get to that level.

3. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Your FPS are ok, remember it's basically a DX9 game engine dating back to 2007 running on a single CPU thread.

Screen Tearing usually disappears by turning VSync on.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2022
  4. DTG-Chris

DTG-Chris Staff Member

Hi stinger27,

Screen-tear will occur regardless of whether your frame rate is locked or not. Screen tearing occurs when there is a mismatch between the in-game frame rate and the refresh rate of your monitor. This will result in your monitor displaying several frames of information in a single refresh of the screen, appearing as "tears" in the image.

An alternative to setting Vsync from the Nvidia Control Panel, would be to use the Borderless Full-screen setting.

How to remove screen-tear:
    1. Open Train Simulator
    2. Go to Settings, Graphics
    3. Change Full-Screen to Borderless
    4. Press Save

5. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Jamie
    If I do this
    I can no longer see the default resolution of my monitor 3440 x 2140 in TSC settings?? It's OK in FULL-SCREEN mode.

I eliminate screen tearing by using a GSync (or Latest FreeSync) Monitor.
    pH

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Delete PlayerProfiles.bin. Might also be required to restart after switching to Borderless (which is locked to your desktop resolution anyway).
    I really advise not to use FullScreen. It has more disadvantages and no advantages over Borderless.

7. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Torf
    PP.bin was the first thing I deleted - no change.
    Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on what your setup is.
    I have no issues with FS.
    pH

8. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Back in the days of weaker GPU's there was an advantage in using DX exclusive fullscreen. I don't see any now. Playing Borderless, locked at 60 FPS this eliminated even the editor crashes for me and is definitely a better Multitasking friendly output mode.