Please No More Leaks!!

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by redrev1917, Nov 28, 2022.

1. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Personally I really dislike the current way routes are "announced" via leaks from the Steam Database and PS updates. The first I hear of a route should be from DTG themselves and not via any other means, its just doesnt appear professional. It leads people to speculate and form an initial opinion of a route based on very little, this will then mean they switch off from the main announcement because they think the route is "too short", "not varied" etc etc OR they will formulate in their mind what it should be and then when the actual announcement doesnt live up to their expectations, become disinterested in the route and think its a let down.

Whilst I certainly dont speak for everyone, and nor would I want to. I am sure I am not alone in this opinion. So please DTG get yourself organised and actually make the announcement prior to it appearing online elsewhere. I mean surely you know when Steam & Playstation are going to make things visible to some degree?

• Like Like x 25
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Agree 100%

Also leads to misleading speculation like the thread started about a DB 111, which looks as if it was a hoax and now we also have something about a Polar Express type product.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Yep, it all seems very backwards for it to appear on the platform sites before DTG even announce it. Surely by the time it’s ready to appear on the platform sites, the full scope of the route etc is final.

• Like Like x 4
  4. rennekton#1349

rennekton#1349 Well-Known Member

I don't think dtg can do much. Things start populating on steamdb a few weeks before release and people will go in and look in the game files and other info to find stuff and then post it. I don't think dtg could like eliminate that. But there's always going to some sort of leak before dtg can release the dlc based on the history of tsw

• Like Like x 2
  5. redrev1917

Point is DTG should know when steam etc start populating stuff and announce the route prior to this date, surely thats not hard?

• Like Like x 7
  6. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I feel like the easiest way to fix this is to announce routes on the Roadmap earlier than they do now, but not like they used to do when TSW2 launched.

• Like Like x 5
  7. rennekton#1349

Fair enough. But wouldn't people still be able get to it first before dtg does since there since there is always someone skilled in doing that

8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Quite right. Let us know what’s coming sooner so that johnny screenshot doesn’t get the big scoop. Nobody is asking for six months’ notice here, just a bit sooner than the tech spills the beans itself.

• Like Like x 2
  9. max1313

max1313 Active Member

I don’t get why wait to announce the routes. Doesn’t make any sense to me.announcing at least a month before release should suffice.what’s the point on doing it just two weeks before release. I Don’t get it

• Like Like x 3
  10. redrev1917

I maybe being simple minded here, but wouldnt the time to actually make the announcement be the same time you provide the data to the stores? I mean if you know what the achievements are the scope of the project must be fairly well set in concrete, they dont need to provide detailed preview videos and imagery, even if just just a vague article and skeletons of the new rolling stock and other assets to wet the appetite? Take the new German route, its got a 155, 110 and n-wagen acheivements and a name, a simple article detailing this last week (or even announced at Warley) with a few dev drawings/imagery would suffice with more to follow.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. max1313

max1313 Active Member

Hopefully they’ll announce the US loco and route before it gets leaked. Let’s hope they have learned from this.

12. DTG Alex

DTG Alex Community Manager Staff Member

We've had this coversation internally and the reality at the moment is that we have to release some of the files (like in the example of achievements) early. Otherwise it risks them being under-tested and broken, and we already have enough broken ones being looked at.

Usually when we find a patch that we can add in the achievements, we aren't ready to announce the route because we don't have the creative assets (Trailer video, article images and copy written) and the build release dates won't always line up to when we want to announce.

For right now we've taken the stance that we'd rather have more time for things to be tested and working for everyone and if the most dedicated players find out early then they get a bit of advance on everyone else.

We are aware that it isn't ideal, there are some solutions we are looking into (hidden route names etc) but they usually require more work under the hood for the teams.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  13. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

DTG is taking so long to reveal new releases, I don't know what's with this new policy of delaying it for so long. I'm not asking for more than a month but a week just doesn't seem long enough, because we end up finding out through other unofficial means. I don't think there's a videogames studio that delays the announcement of new DLC this long.

I remember I used to look forward to many days waiting for new information, articles, streams and reading here on the forum everything users posted about the new release because of the anticipation that was generated. In my opinion some of that magic has been lost and now we don't even have time to get hype!

• Like Like x 6
  14. redrev1917

In a period of time when home finances are being stretched I am sure this short notice is hurting day 1 sales. As many people don't have as much disposable income especially at this time of year, as they would have done even 6 months ago.

More notice = more opportunity for players to budget for their purchase.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shackamaxon

Shackamaxon Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't mind the leaks...
    Gives an opportunity to speculate, make calculated guesses, and have some fun...

I can understand the other side as well, people have a justifiable opinion who don't want leaks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Xander1986

Xander1986 Well-Known Member

redrev1917 This is the way how the modern days off gaming is. Exemple: COD have leakes 1 year before release and other games as well... Internet is a open book and everything is out in the open. So in a perfect world this would not be happen but I can say for sure this is not the perfect world. But rather than that it's for me a good hype and I love clues like this. Sort off inspector gadget :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Nah Bring on the leaks I'm loving them.....

55845ea7-e082-47d8-a75c-6f61af8cdff0.jpg cf699975-c33c-4c5a-b66b-1e9972856852.jpg 905a9853-daf9-41dd-8e38-732bffb57c15.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

doesn't make sense to me. Leaks 1year before is one thing. Getting leaks because they decided to announce it a week before release is another.

• Like Like x 4
  19. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I don't see the harm in leaks. I actually like leaks. I've been used to being exposed to tech leaks since I'm on the internet. It's a part of internet culture. If there are no leaks about your products it means no one is interested enough to research your products.

• Like Like x 2
  20. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Any leaks on what route both Rivet and Just Trains are designing? I would think not!

• Like Like x 1
  21. Sparmi

Sparmi Well-Known Member

I think leaks can be a blessing and a frustration at the same time. Of course every developer, producer or artist wants to keep secret what he has been made with in the last few months in order to conjure up the element of surprise in his audience. But in the internet age of code crackers and hobby hackers, you only need a bit of programming experience to read out game update files completely, as is it was the case with BRO. Then such a forum is the best place to forward it to the waiting community. Someone like me then looks for the right image material and the discussions pick up speed. On the other hand, the developers can listen in and get initial feedback. Which is actually not bad at all. Sometimes first screenshots are intentionally posted to ask the community for their opinion.

I can still remember, before the (very creative) announcement of TSW3, there was already a long thread about a possible TSW3 in the forum. But I honestly didn't believe in it until the bomb burst at the end of August. No idea whether there was already leaked information.

22. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

So when is the US route getting leaked?

23. rennekton#1349

When the achievements get leaked lol. We won't know until it actually gets leaked

24. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Wait until you see a GAS leak! :o

• Like Like x 1
  25. MAX1319

MAX1319 Well-Known Member

I suspect a leak to happen around the middle of january

26. redrev1917

If the holiday express achievements is the USA route, then its already been leaked.

27. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

If there are no discussion or speculation about the products it means no one is interested. Leaks aren't a indication of interest in itself, games can in fact not only gain excitement without leaks, but can in fact generate hype partially by being completely unexpected.

Furthermore leaks might seem harmless, but can cost business relationships if management aren't careful. For example I remember this video from a few years back-

(The section from about 7:44 to 10:10 is the part most relevant for what I'm talking about.)
    -where a employee leaked on purpose to screw the company they worked for. Also a leak happening can be a sign of worse stuff happening behind the scenes. Like that they're being treated poorly, aren't vetted enough, lack solid cybersecurity, or a combination of those factors.

Not saying any of that stuff is the case with DTG's leaks, just saying leaks can absolutely be very bad.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  28. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I get your quoted 'announced', and that's what it is.
    Are you 'upset' that you didn't know how to access this information?
    This is not 'leaked' information.

OK. I'll add and help.
    Work is tested via a Dev build. Steam (PC), EPIC (PC) works very differently to Sony (PSx) and MS (XBOX).
    PC can be tested 'locally' - variable memory, HDD/SDD, GFX, CPU/cores, etc - a console is pretty much a fixed can of beans.
    So, 'who' do we cater for?
    .... Inteligent people guessed consoles!
    No! WAIT. That's not right!
    ...PC users can exploit WAY more POWER AND GPU usage.
    I know. That's why DTG have Train Simulator Classic!
    xxx

Last edited: Dec 1, 2022
  29. maxipolo12

maxipolo12 Well-Known Member

Leak of 1. Dec 2022: stuttering won't ever been fixed

• Like Like x 2