[poll] Baby Bullet Oakville Timetable?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Monder, May 7, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. I wouldn't be against it, but I wouldn't use it

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  1. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As has been mentioned in the Roadmap stream, the Preserved crew has started working on Oakville Subdivision. We all know this route to be rather empty (only about 60-70 services now) missing GO Transit passenger services, though nearly everything is ready for it (stations are functional, passengers know how to spawn and travel... if there was a train). Adam has mentioned in another thread this:
    CalGo-1.png
    I assume it wouldn't be easy to implement, but probably possible to use the MP-36 and Bi-Levels from SFJ to fill the gaps. The idea I have added was that this would be an alternative timetable featuring CN freight AND Baby Bullet on passenger services. The original (without immersion braking) would still exist, but the alternative, although being seriously wrong, could feature a great chunk of new gameplay for us to enjoy. (Maybe even have a formation of MP36s with more cars as GO Trains are substantially longer (but with stronger locos also)).

So I wanted to get an idea from the community (and for Adam to see) if this would be something you'd like to see. Adam definitely has a point about potential negative feedback because of the wrong livery. I can see arguments for both camps, the poll definitely might go both ways, but I feel like the authentic version not being erased might satisfy both camps. And OSD could seriously bank on this. I myself have made such scenarios, which have been fairly well-received even with inaccurate liveries.
    Calgo-3.jpg
    So would you like an alternative timetable featuring "wrong" Baby Bullet? (disclaimer: Definitely not certain this gets made even if you all smash yes :D)

• Like Like x 5
  2. dedh98mosqueto

dedh98mosqueto Active Member

We could easily fix the livery in the livery editor for the baby bullet as there are plenty of tutorials and time laps that can be found on Youtube.

• Like Like x 2
  3. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think that you will find that the existing OSD freight timetable has quite uncannily got precisely the gaps that you would need to implement a Baby Bullet-esque service with Baby Bullet-esque bi -level coaches.....

All we need is the rolling stock (and preferably some player-services and some AI services). I would prefer the GO rolling stock, but if DTG do not have the GO rolling stock available, or do not have a relationship with GO, then it would be better to see a debranded Caltrain Baby Bullet, than absolutely nothing.

Actually - anything would be an improvement. ECS moves. Loco moves. Some AI freight.... any AI freight at all. Or if we can't have that, maybe have some bales of straw blowing in the wind, with some crows in the background - just to give the OSD route some life.

And some free-form shunting. OSD has yards that are 40+ roads across. Just drop 3 locos (or loco pairs) in there with a single tanker, hopper and split beam attached to each of them (to mark them), and then have a (free-form) task to build a full consist for each from some other mixed consist trains. And have some other AI moving around the yard to get in your way a bit.

Just add something. Or... maybe... just finish the OSD DLC route as it was originally specified internally by DTG (because I can't believe that what we see in OSD now is what was originally planned.... not even I am that cynical).

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Unsure. The thing is, I didn't buy Oakville because shunting isn't really my kind of thing, and I have limited interest in US freight trains. I didn't buy the MP36 since it's limited to only one route.

So, currently, with my current collection, this suggestion doesn't give me anything. But it does add some more value to both DLCs, which may be just enough for me to consider a purchase during a sale.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I can really recommend the MP36. It does not add services to SFJ (as the whole timetable has been modelled before its addition), but it is well modelled, has good sounds and together with MP15 completes the route. These are all the trains running there, nice mixture. IRL the F40+Galleries and MP36s+Bi Levels don't have fixed, which services they run, so it nicely randomises what you can see on which train.
    We can probably assume they don't have the GO license at all, otherwise, it would've been a DLC by now. Debranded green/white trains would probably be a better solution in this case (although I don't otherwise like debranding), but I am just going with the bare minimum work needed in this suggestion - simply adding the missing services with a "wrong train". Creating an extra livery for Baby Bullet might add a bunch of new problems considering all the DLC dependencies we've already seen limit layering and substituting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Going to be an excellent idea because GO Transit and Caltrain ordered the same Baby Bullet MP36 in the years 2008-2012. Regarding Go Transit it's actually owned by the province of Ontario government under Metrolinx Act 2006 and DTG must approach the Province of Ontario government to use GO Transit logos on Oakville subdivision train Sim world 2020 & TSW 2. If DTG does get GO Transit licensing from the province of Ontario government then the Caltrain Baby Bullet receives a reskin into GO Transit Paint. The same logic can be applied to MBTA & Caltrain F40PH locomotives by Reskinning into GO Transit paint

7. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

It would feel kinda wrong to me. Sure, it would be through layering, but a Caltrain MP36 would be way too inaccurate. I'm don't think GO Transit even uses the MP36, it's the MP40 that they have. So... I personally wouldn't be a fan of seeing a Caltrain branded train with the number screen thingy on a Canadian route, but if you folks like it, and it's a separate timetable, then I can't complain too much.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

It definitely would need to be a separate timetable, I wouldn't like to see them destroying the original, just add an option to have a busy timetable. I doubt we will ever get a proper rolling stock for this one as it's only six stations, you'd first need an extension to Toronto, the Bi-Levels are different (like dostos on HHL :D), MP54s, so a lot of work.

9. finntd#7891

finntd#7891 Well-Known Member

I have kinda thought about the idea of Giving a loco a livery and letting us use it on another route’s timetable the idea is if you own one route with a loco and own another where the loco can realistically run but its in the wrong livery then have A special livery for the loco that only appears when you have that rouge