PC [poll] How Do You Think Dtg Should Handle Branding?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pschlik, Dec 6, 2017.

?
  1. Unbrand content more often than not

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Treat branded and unbranded equally

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  3. Unbranded content is a minor disadvantage

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Avoid unbranded, except for some exceptions

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  5. Absolutely no unbranded content

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Another contended topic in the community is how acceptable it is to have unbranded content. Though not brought up recently, the issue of having Heathrow services, but unbranded, came up. Surprisingly, many were open to the idea of unbranded trains there. I'm used to hearing a lot of anti-unbranding rhetoric. Probably because I like BNSF and BNSF is a prime example of 'messed up branding.'

That made me curious as to which of those sides is bigger in the community, and how DTG should respond to unbranded content. DTG is quite scared of doing unbranded content out of the negative reactions that come from unbranded stuff. (Frankly, those people who complain about no branding not meeting their expectations need to learn that branding is not always possible.) For example, BNSF, despite not being totally unbranded, is probably the biggest topic. Which is ironic that DTG appeases the complainers on it by not making BNSF DLC, despite most people who actually care about BNSF being in the USA...where it is licensed... This attitude in general (not just for BNSF) hurts a lot of possibilities for really great routes...
    So, are those complainers that DTG is appeasing a vocal minority or vocal majority?

An, in general, what do you think is the right approach to branding?

I doubt anyone thinks this, but should unbranded content be chosen over branded content all the time?
    Should DTG throw legal junk out the window and just make everything unbranded to save on legal work and free up route choices, then leave it to the community to repaint content?

Or, more reasonable, is the 'disadvantage' of unbranded content not very meaningful to you? Is a branded DLC pretty much equal to an unbranded DLC?
    Should DTG just not prioritize branding as a consideration, and choose routes based on other things, only worrying about the branding issues after considering everything else? (Maybe even if that's because you don't like unbranded stuff, but are willing to get mods to make everything unbranded look branded-so it doesn't matter what DTG does.)

Are you one of the many that sees unbranded content as a small disadvantage that, though acceptable, is not the best idea?
    Should DTG not go out of their way to make unbranded routes, but still do unbranding without hesitation if the unbranded content is requested often? Should DTG be willing to make things like BNSF DLC, where the fact that it is branded in some places is enough to justify it not being branded in other places [but still avoid entirely unbranded content a bit more]?

But maybe you see unbranded content as a pretty big disadvantage, yet one that could still be outweighed by other good things.
    Should DTG try to brand as much as possible, but still be willing to unbrand if the brand involved is insignificant and unknown (thus not very likely to upset people)? Should DTG not miss out on an amazingly popular route or train, even if it has to be unbranded?

And, again, I doubt many think this, is unbranded content completely unacceptable and should be avoided in all shapes and forms?
    Should DTG consider licensing first and foremost on a route? Is it better to have no DLC at all than an unbranded DLC? (Sorry if you think this, DTG has already unbranded a few things in TSW-see DTGX wellcars.)

2. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

In terms of the Heathrow trains; it is not just branding that is an issue but sound as well. It looks like that without a license that DTG are not able to spend quality time with the trains to get the correct sounds recorded. I think sound might be just that bit more important to people than the branding.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  3. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

In my opinion branding is not that important and once the editor is made available those that are bothered about not having the branding will be able to add it anyway.

4. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

I love the real branding.. only unbranding when there is no other way..

5. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would say try get a branding license, if thats not possible, make a fakebranding. Like the carnumbers that are not CSX but DTGX. Or like the companys in Truck Simulator. Logos, names and designs that somewhat resemble the company but are not a infringement.

• Like Like x 2
  6. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

As far as branding goes, I most likely wouldn't buy any unbranded routes. It's important to me to have the branding for the railroad and the proper liveries.

As far as branding for everything else goes, that doesn't bother me too much. It would be nice to see other brands for the shipping containers on the intermodals but that isn't really a big deal to me.

7. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

I actually kinda like that idea. Might even make it easier to mod textures to put in real logos where the fake logos already are. DTG is doing this with DTGX instead of DTTX, which works well, but I wish they would do it for containers. I really like the way containers are on modern routes in TS2018 with things like "energy line" "RS transco" "wave" and wish they chose to do that in CSX and GWE. All CSX containers might be branded, but it actually feels less realistic as a result! Funny how fake brands can be enough to make things more realistic.

8. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

This sums up my view perfectly. I chose the "Avoid unbranding" option as the closest to this.