Portsmouth Direct Line (original) - The Other Lines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doomotron, May 10, 2019.

1. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

On the original PDL route (which the game for some reason calls GuildfordDistrict) there are loads of other lines around Guildford that have no scenery but full signalling and partially completed stations. Can someone explain why these other lines are there?

2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

There are a few lines where branches or offshoots have been started but not completed, probably to allow for updates or upgrades later.
    In this case they decided to go down the route of making it a completely different line in Portsmouth to Waterloo rather than back-updating

3. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

That's a fair assumption.

And with signalling in place they can and probably already will be used for AI traffic in scenarios.

4. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

From what I have heard in several streams is that it was meant that players could complete those branch lines with adding scenery and then placing it in the workshop.

But nobody actually made those scenery updates and when the PDL was extended, they were removed in the newer version.
    I don't think they people will ever add anything to the older PDL route, as it contains older signals, no super elevation and generally very bright with the sun.

5. pusser_uk

pusser_uk New Member

As an aside to this thread on the PDL, how come setting up a free drive from, say, Havant to Portsmouth and Southsea gives you the selection Platform 4 but there is no way to get into Platform 4, even though it's there.

6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Is platform 4 bidirectional?

7. pusser_uk

pusser_uk New Member

I have no idea, it's a terminus, not all trains got to Portsmouth harbour.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Are you getting two things mixed up?
    There is a Quick Drive where you decide the start and end locations - I just ran a Havant to Portsmouth & Southsea in to P4 at Southsea.
    And there is a Free Roam where you have a train on your route but you have to set the points to go where you want - you just obey the signals.

Peter

9. pusser_uk

pusser_uk New Member

Peter, maybe I am getting confuzzled. I just selected Rowlands Castle to Portsmouth & Southsea (Lower) on a Quick Drive. It should be Platform 4 as the destination but the drive goes up to Platform 2 on the Upper level. There appears to be no way to change points on this quick drive scenario. I have just tried to set up a free roam for this route and for some reason the PDL does not appear in the available routes. I need to research this further, or at least until I become completely brain dead.

10. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Screenshots?

11. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Having tried another run from Havant the Destination does show as P&S Platform 2.
    So I created a simple scenario from Fratton to P&S plat 4b and that works ok.
    When the QD Scenario was set up the main station does not seem to have been an option.

Peter

12. pusser_uk

pusser_uk New Member

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  13. pusser_uk

pusser_uk New Member