Portugal, An Extensive Lisbon View

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by darkage, Jan 20, 2018.

1. darkage

darkage Member

As a portuguese and a train enthusiast I would like to suggest an introduction to my country, the railways in the city Lisbon and the Greater Lisbon area.

In Portugal passanger trains are mostly state owned and operate under the state company CP - Comboios de Portugal (Trains of Portugal)
    [​IMG]

I'd like to start by showing you the trains used for Lisbon's and Greater Lisbon's urban commuter services.
    Note that all the trains showed in this topic belong to their own series each with a 4 number identifier, this is because every train has its own number within a series. Also, in Portugal, trains are driven on the left track.

First the Cascais Line, the only route electrified with a 1,5 Kv voltage, only this route's trains can oprate on it and they're the only ones equiped to use this voltage

the 3250 series
    [​IMG]

And an image of the driving cabin
    [​IMG]

Due to lack of funds, these almost a century old trains (way past their life time) require daily maintance to maintain safety conditions and operate. But don't worry if you get on one of these, I used them various times and never had any problem. Congratulations to the maintance staff who do an amazing job keeping these serviceable everyday. This is an EMU and in the first image you can see a train with 8 carriages.

The 2300/2400 series

A 2300 series train at the Lisbon Oriente station
    [​IMG]

Driver cabin
    [​IMG]

The 2300 and the 2400 series are pretty much identical in look, with a few minor differences

They operate mostly on the Sintra, Cintura and Sado lines

The 3500 series
    Old green and white CP livery
    [​IMG]

Modern red CP livery
    [​IMG]

Blue and White Fertagus livery
    [​IMG]

Blue and White Fertagus livery, and supporting the red nose campaign for the campaign's 15th anniversary
    [​IMG]

Driver cabin
    [​IMG]

The trains belonging to CP, which are all painted red now, are used mostly in the Azambuja Line, but are also used in the Sintra Line when there is too much demand and/or not enough 2300/2400s serviceable

The trains belonging to fertagus are used for the urban commuter services that use the 25th of April bridge to connect Lisbon to the river's south margin and as far as Setúbal

Driver's cabin view of the bridge
    [​IMG]

Now, the InterCity and Alfa Pendular services departing from/arriving at Lisbon

Siemens 5600 series electric locomotive
    [​IMG]

Driver's cabin
    [​IMG]

This locomotive is dual purpose it's used by CP for InterCity services, and used by Medway (and formerly by CP Carga, before the privatization) to transport freight, it can reach the country's max allowed speed of 220 km/h

Locomotive operating an InterCity service with carriages
    [​IMG]

CPA 4000 aka Alfa Pendular
    Old red livery
    [​IMG]

Modern grey(?) livery
    [​IMG]

Driver's cabin
    [​IMG]

This train has the fastest services in the country, does Lisboa - Porto, Lisboa - Porto - Braga with fewer stops than InterCity services, taking around 3 hours, and it's the only train who uses both North and South Lines in the Braga - Faro services which takes 6 hours.

This concludes introduction to Portuguese trains, if you have read this far, thank you and I hope you enjoyed getting to know a little bit of the Portuguese trains. And because english is not my first language I apologize for any spelling and grammar mistakes, I tried my best so that everyone can understand what I wrote.

Here's the link for my other topic, Lisbon routes which complements this topic
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/portugal-an-extensive-lisbon-view.3109/#post-18830

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 4