Possibility To Disable "security Features"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Spygot, Mar 21, 2021.

1. Spygot

Spygot Member

This suggestion may seem questionable to some of you but would really improve the game in my opinion. As all of you may know, the game has many "security features" which end the simulation if you do something horribly wrong, like crossing the map border or a red signal. I think that it would be nice if you could disable those features. Here are the reasons why:
    Crossing Red Signal:
    - All german routes are equipped with PZB 90. That means that if you enable it also checks for red signals and stopps the train when crossing a red light. This also works in TSW2 but is useless at the moment. Even the possibility to cross such signal (Befehl 40) is implemented. While it maybe doesn't make a lot of sense to use it in a regular scenario, it can be very usefull in a custom one, where you want to give the player the possibility to connect two trains.
    - It can also quiet often happend that you overshoot a platform or signal, especially on NTP, where no AWS is available. This always immidiantly ends the simulation which can be very frustraiting if you ran a express service with no save point.
    - If you overshoot a platform, you cannot return to the station in some cases if there is a red signal. #

Crossing the map border:
    - Could be useful for custom scenarions, but isn't as important as the red signal part.

I know that programming this can't be that complicated because sometimes, when the game bugs, you CAN cross a red signal. The 2 or 3 times I had this bug, I could test different things (PZB Stop at Signal, running on the wrong track etc.) and everything worked like it should. And for those who say you could crash another train by doing that, yes, that is possible, but you can also crash you HST at 100mph in London so I don't see a problem here.

Greetings,
    Spygot

• Like Like x 7
  2. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

Passing a red signal would require a better signal controller which can handle this. At the moment a SPAD would just result in a complete mess therefore the game ends with a SPAD. If you overshoot in real life the signalman has to decide if you reverse or continue on and skip the stop. Implementing this into the game would need a lot of work without being a considerable feature for most players.
    Crossing the map border is not possible because the map does not exist beyond this point. Of course, there is still scenery there so that you don't look into an empty space but there are no useful parts for driving a train there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Licensing prevents them from doing a lot of things like this. Companies don’t like to see their trains crashing in-game considering it to be bad advertising. Similarly you can’t access the front door on the Bakerloo trains because the company doesn’t want you going into tunnels.

4. Jo_Kim

Jo_Kim Well-Known Member

That was DTGs decision and had nothing to do with the TfL licence.

5. jeremydunn8

I’m pretty sure they said it was a licensing issue on stream. I don’t know why else they wouldn’t model the door.

6. Spygot

Spygot Member

Jo_Kim You are right, I haven't thought of the SPAD. They could also go for a feature that lets you skip a station, which would fix most of the problems right now. That would still be a problem for scenario designers, but looking at the features of the scenario designer, you couldn't use it anyway.
    Anyway, it would be nice if the option would be there (maybe in a config file) so that you can mess around with the game and test stuff. And maybe the promised TSW Studio will release (I know it's unrealitstic but maybe) and those problems can be solved in a different way.

jeremydunn8 I think that this wouldn't be a licensing problem as it possible to crash the trains anyway. I can also imagine that the doors in the tube stocks are closed because the tunnels are not fully modeled. You can get out of the tube on some rare positions (sideways) vut you will clip through the ground.

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Why do you want the ability to do something dangerous in "what is meant to be" a simulator? If you did that in real life or on a TOC simulator they'd show you the door
    Whilst I can see that for those who don't pay attention (like me) it can be annoying knowing you're going to get canned, it's all part of the simulation for me

Don't know about german routes as I don't play them, but in the UK you would get a "call on signal" which is the two white lights next to or below the main light, and this is activated by the signaller either automatically on your approach or you contact them and then they set the signal.
    You then proceed at reduced speed, and are supposed to stop short of any obstruction (even if hooking up you stop and then crawl up to it to connect)
    So in the case of scenarios the dispatcher would need to be told that you're connecting and therefore be programmed to allow that call on and not class it as a SPAD so long as you have contacted them for that call on

8. Spygot

Spygot Member

Mostly for Debug and Fun Reasons. I know that such behaviour would cause problems in RL, but TSW is still a game compared to other simulators. And in some other simulators, which want to be as realistic as possible, you get stopped by the train control system. I think that it would just add possibilitys for the people who build stupid scenarios for themselfs. Adding the possibility for that in a config file would do the trick for me.
    There is something similar in Germany, also white lights allowing for traisn to move beyond a red signal. The problem is that you can't activate them in a custom scenario. And as long a proper scenario planer with control over the signals and trains is not available, the only option to do this is by crossing red signals.

But I can also understand that a feature like this may cause a lot of trouble, so I hope that DTL will find a better solution in the future.

9. bustinsrocks#1946

bustinsrocks#1946 Member

It is extremely annoying when, for example, you are at the end of a two-hour service and you accidentally run a red signal.
    You just lost two hours of work and that is very demoralizing
    Instead, it would be nice if, for example, when the game ended because of a SPAD, you could go and click last played and it would push you back 5 minutes or so before you ran the signal to give you another chance.
    The SPAD ending game thing has annoyed me since I started playing and I would love if a solution like the one I listed was implemented.

• Like Like x 2
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's implemented- but only on PC. The menu screen gives you a "return to last checkpoint" option.

11. jeremydunn8

I never understand the limitations that consoles have. It's as if the developers are trying to get people to buy more PC's. Why on earth is it not possible to return to the last checkpoint on console? Anyone who says console development hinders that of the PC's is completely wrong. DTG, if you're reading this, please take the hour or so that it would require to implement this into consoles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ARuscoe

The "fun reasons" are what loses DTG their licenses, right?
    Not used the scenario planner, but from what I do know of it you can't do consist joining or marshalling, so it would make sense in the current (dire) state of the planner that this wouldn't be implemented, but it IS implemented in the dispatcher of TSW2 so that makes it a fail of the planner rather than the dispatcher
    Hence why you need to concentrate to the last. The equivalent is a driver in real life looking for his bag and phone before the train's stopped and then hashing it into the buffers

13. bustinsrocks#1946

bustinsrocks#1946 Member

To clarify, we (console players) have a last played (the equivalent of last checkpoint), but you have to conduct the save yourself.
    While this is a useful tool if you have to pause a service and come back to it at a later time, it is pointless in the context of failing the service due to SPAD, derailment, etc because you don't know those things are going to happen until they do, so you don't know when the right time to save is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spygot

Spygot Member

I don't think they would lose them. In the current state of the game you can crash your train easily, just not by passing a red signal. I can't imagine this would cause a licensing problem. And if it would be that way, they could make the player ghosting through another train.
    You can do this, although it's still buggy. I created a scenario on HRR with two 425s at different stations and glitched myself through a red signal and could connect both trains. The only problem is that the game still want's the AI to drive one of the EMUs so only the one you drive delivers power. But door control, brakes and lights work on both trains when connected. This was my main reason why I want the safety features to be removed.
    And, especially on the preserved routes, the quicksaves ofter isn't helpful at all, having saved after you missed a station or way to early. I know that many people claim that TSW wants to be a simulation, but the console release shows that it's clearly aiming at the public, which is why something to at least reset to the last station is absolutly necessary.

I wouldn't ask for this feature if DTG would actually work on the game and release tools for making interesting scenarios (like promised for TSW) and fix the frustrating game over when SPAD, but as long as that is not the case at least a workaround to make the scenario editor more powerful would be nice. For a 60€ Game with costly DLCs I just cannot accept the current state of the game...

15. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I believe there is a way to disable spad on pc but of course not on console. I do think that spad should be removed because it's simply not realistic. In reality, the emergency breaks would apply when running a red on most of the trains and you would have to contact the dispatcher, tell them what happened, and ask for clearance to proceed especially when doing lengthy back and forth services on routes like sehs. It's a sim yet we have this gamey and unrealistic feature that has seen multiple requests to be removed. It's not easy as well to detect a red signal in the hud on British routes due to the simple fact that it only shows a yellow circle with a bar. It doesn't show a double yellow or a single yellow and sometimes I'll pass by two double yellows or unexpectedly pass by a single yellow that I hardly could see at full speed then there would be a red signal that I can't stop in time for and the bam SPAD game over. There are some cases like in Rainham where I'll almost come to a stop but run by the red light in the station and game over. The issue with the save feature as well is that when I save and load up a save when I take a service in free roam, it puts me back to where I originally started which is odd. I hope for the next yearly tsw update, dtg will gvie an option to disable the spad game over crap. It's in ts2021 so I don't see why it can't be in tsw

16. ARuscoe

It has been in the past I believe.

The better "fix" would be to include consist adding and removal to the consist editor, then you wouldn't have to glitch through anything and could use the signalling and signaller correctly

Game over SPAD is bang on for me though, so your "fix" would actually be a "break" for me, because I don't want to be able to SPAD for any reason. If I have a lapse in concentration, that's on me, not DTG

17. ARuscoe

You're not supposed to blast through double yellows at speed. You're supposed to act as if the next signal is a single yellow and drop your speed appropriately, If the signals are spaced far enough apart and you're in a consist with good brakes (Javelin, 375, 465) then drop to 65 or 60, for a single yellow drop to 30
    Only time this wouldn't count is if you know that the signal covers a station and you would be stopping anyway

The whole point of yellows is to slow you down so the train in front can be going faster, putting safe distance between you again

18. Spygot

Spygot Member

That is why I wanted the game to have an option to disable it, not to disable it for everyone. Not everyone wants to play TSW like a realistic simulation but as a game. Since the game especially aims at such customers (console release, easy menus, detailed tutorials, collectibles etc.) at least some red light protection is needed. Northern Trans-Pennine is a very good example of that. No AWS, steep and poor brakes on some services. It can happed very easy if you don't pay attention the whole time which is a problem for casual gamers.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tallboy7648

In the u.s it's a bit different. Also I could come to a close stop but still run the red

20. tallboy7648

A option to disable it would be a good thing for those who don't like it and for those who do, they can keep it on

21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Afraid not. Game Over on PC too.

22. tallboy7648

Shame. DTG if you read this please give an option of disabling that spad game over nonsense in the next yearly update because it's not realistic. You have that option in ts2021 so surely it can be implemented in tsw as well

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  23. ARuscoe

You either do stop for the danger signal or you don't
    If you did that in your car you would still be breaking the law... They don't enforce it I guess, but in train terms they do