Preservation Crew: Hauptstrecke Rhein-ruhr

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Task, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Hi TrainSim-Adam, here are some suggestions about things you can improve with the HRR preservation upgrade. I hope I'm not too late with this one.
    • Platform Departure Boards on the platforms (with the necessary data added to the timetable, you did a great job on ECW with that!)
      • Please don't make the same mistake as on RT and MSB though and put all the information from the big displays on the small displays. This looks very squished together isn't really realistic. HMA and Hamburg - Lübeck have it correct. Only the preserved routes don't.
      • The IC services currently have no off map destinations applied although their PIS displays are already able to show them. I hope this can get considered too when the timetable gets added the necessary data. [​IMG]
    • Upgraded destination system for the BR 422 and BR 425: What you did for the 146 + Dostos is pretty cool. Please also do that for the BR 422 and BR 425. This would be especially useful for the layer the BR 425 has on HMA.
    • LZB for the BR 425: The BR 425 is only allowed to drive 140 km/h when using PZB in real life, with LZB it is allowed to do 160. It would also be nice if you could limit it's PZB speed to 140.
    • Port the new signals and signs from Hamburg - Lübeck: Hamburg - Lübeck was the first German route that included an overhaul of the signal colors and some of the signs were also updated (mainly the Lf 6, Lf 7 and Ne 3). It would be really cool when those overhauls could be used on HRR too.
    • Working Crossings
    • Rush Hour Passengers
    The next section is about all the annoying and immersion breaking bugs and smaller issues present on HRR and it's rolling stock:
    • Lamps are way too bright: The lamps placed on the map (mostly noticeable in stations obviously) are way too bright which makes passengers glow etc. I already made a thread where I showed this usse: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/hauptstrecke-rhein-ruhr-lights-are-way-too-bright.36477/
    • Lighting Issues (Bloom): The lighting on the whole route is way too bright, especially at clear summer days. Most of the other TSW routes manage that much better.
    • Speed announcement signs missing:
      • 120 at the end of the Essen-Frohnhausen Platform (coming from Duisburg)
      • 140 at the end of the Wattenscheid Platform (coming from Essen), shortly after the 140 section the speed gets increased to 160 again (at least that's what the HUD says), there is also no sign to indicate that
    • Missing PZB magnets:
      • Shortly before Mülheim Hbf there is a 1000 Hz PZB magnet missing on a distant signal (coming from Duisburg on the outer tracks).
    • Signalling Issues:
      • On most of the paths coming from Wattenscheid to Bochum Hbf Platform 5 there is a "danger ahead" aspect without an active magnet and the next signal isn't a "danger" but another "danger ahead" so something is wrong there. This is reproducable for example with the IC 2016.
    • The stop markers for the regional services at Bochum Hbf make the trains stop outside of the platform roofs instead of right beside them so the poor passengers get wet when waiting for their train and especially when entering it. Also they have to walk pretty far to get to their train.
    • Missing Sifa Indicator in BR 425 HUD
    • BR 425 Seating Height: The player sits very low which makes you feel like a dwarf.
    • BR 425 HUD Speedometer: The speedometer in the HUD goes all the way up to 300 km/h, which makes it hard to see smaller speed changes. One half of the speedometer isn't used at all. 180 would be more suited here (same max speed as the modelled cab has).
    • BR 425 Buchfahrplanleuchte Brightness: The Buchfahrplanleuchte in the cab of the BR 425 is way too bright and introduces a strange glare.
    • BR 425 PZB Speed Limit (140): As mentioned in the LZB point above, the BR 425 only has a permitted max speed of 140 when running without LZB. The AI drivers should also follow that limit and you should get an emergency brake application when exceeding it (the same as it is at 160/165 currently with PZB in most trains).
    • Not all freight formations have substitution enabled for other freight locos. The base loco has 30 services while all other freight locos only have 20.
    The timetable was mostly fine until the release of the DB BR 101 and its layer. The ICs get held at red signals everywhere. The most problematic ones here are the freight trains coming from the Portal in Duisburg that go to the yard at Mülheim-Styrum. Another problem are services to the portal sitting at their final stop too long and another problem are REs getting way before the ICs so you get held up behind them everywhere. This isn't realistic as normally ICs have higher priority than everything mentioned before. One cause for this problem are the freight services that aren't even there in real life. When the timetable got authored they were put into the gaps that were available at the time. In reality most of those gaps are obviously used by ICs and other traffic.

Last of all an ICE layer would be very nice for the route. The BR 403 (ICE 3) of Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg is basically at home on this route and it would increase variety even more. But please first figure out fixes for all the blocked IC services before introducing yet another layer that would likely get the same issues. One good way to achieve this would be removing the freights services which are unrealistic for the route anyway.

Of course this route would also benefit of way more AI only services. A few possibilities with the existing stock for that would be RE 5, S 9, S 6.

I hope at least some of those things can be added. HRR is a really fascinating route in real life and has much more potential, it is already one of my favorite routes in the game and I'm looking forward to all the improvements the Preservation Crew will do to it.

To the rest of the community: Feel free to post you wishes in the thread too.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 17
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. Oelix

Oelix Active Member

I know this is unlikely to happen, but one can dream:
    The cityscapes are not very good, especially Essen which is not really recognizable: It's an industrial hub with lots of tall, ugly buildings around the central station, but in the game there are only two or so. I have no idea how much work it is to put four or five others in, even if they're just copy-pastes from other places.

Also: So much space is left completely empty on all those tracks, so I'd love more parked locos/wagons near the stations (and more rolling traffic would be great too, of course!). HRR is one of my favourite routes and would gain so much from this!

• Like Like x 7
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Try running the route in early morning and evenings you are going to find out that the high beams do not work well therefore implement the DB BR612 High Beams. Another thing enable the use of DB BR363 146.2 and 143 MRCE BR185.5 Riesa-Dresden versions. DB BR363 Riesa-Dresden versions can work inside Gbf Bochum Ehrenfeld and Mülheim an Der Ruhr Yards because in real life there would be a freight train coming in from Hollandstrecke Duisburg-Oberhausen-Arnhem headed to Bochum Ehrenfeld with portions split at Mülheim and Bochum Ehrenfeld. These appear on the map by following the S3 Oberhausen Hattingen Mitte and Remaining section terminates at Hagen Vorhalle.

• Like Like x 1
  4. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

Agree - I definitely want to see ICEs on the route. There's so much potential for variety and a very busy timetable with this route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

1) Headlights belong to the loco, not the route.
    2) The BR 612 headlights are very, very hard and time-consuming to make; they use a completely different UE routine, and Maik has posted about what a PITA they were to do. I can't see Adam's team doing that sort of rebuild- they haven't really messed with loco models at all, not even to fix the issues with US brakes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Thank you for telling me about this and at some point we can probably get improved headlights for Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr due to the ptich dark issue. I wonder if Adams team can add in DB BR363 services from Riesa-Dresden into Bochum Ehrenfeld Gbf complete with freight. That has home depot of Köln Hbf is the Bw you pass on Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen

• Like Like x 1
  7. leospielt#6870

leospielt#6870 Member

I suppose while youre at it the 425 should receive an update to its physics since I‘ve heard it accelerates and especially brakes way too well and since its such a nice train I think this would definitely be worth it