Preserved Content Classic Controls Annoyance

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mainstay, May 13, 2021.

1. Mainstay

Mainstay New Member

I can’t understand why legacy content REQUIRES the classic control mode....?!?!

What the hell is up with that? To me it seems like lazy coding. Seriously annoying to be honest. Why not make it the same overall. I really dislike the classic settings.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG have said that it's because the instructions or audio includes the requirement to press a certain control or button that may no longer be the case, so rather than change the scenario or requirement (which would break the achievements linked to such) they've put in a classic control mode just for these circumstances

3. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

It is annoying and I much prefer the new immersion controls but I have got used to the classic controls when playing the scenarios. My biggest gripe with classic control is the external camera options, they are awful in my opinion.

4. Mainstay

Mainstay New Member

Like I said lazy coding

• Like Like x 2
  5. shhweeet#4292

On one hand maybe on the other no. If they had changed the preserved collection scenarios to immersion controls then they would probably have had to charge everyone to buy them again in order to play them in TSW2 instead of allowing people who purchased them in TSW2020 to re download them for free. This would be due to the extra work and cost recoding them all again. Given the choice I’ll put up with the classic controls in the scenarios. You do get immersion controls in all the timetable runs to enjoy.

6. Mainstay

Mainstay New Member

I was impressed when I bought TSW2 at first. But when I see the draw distance in such a small area is really poor compared to games like horizon zero dawn that can create immensely insane rendered worlds. And the quality of the map et cetera I was starting to doubt.

Today I thought he’ll give some extra content a try and I bought some german preserved scenery and trains. Started it up and the draw distance on a ps5 is even worse then the standard content, audio cracks, FORCED CLASSIC controls et cetera.

The forced controls are the limit for me now and my wallet stays closed till they start coding their existing content to current standard and the graphics really get a big update.

7. shhweeet#4292

Console games are always going to be a compromise. If it annoys you which it seems it is I’d suggest you play TSW2 on a PC computer with all the relevant upgraded hardware. ( And expense! ) I’m not saying that to upset you I genuinely think you would be more satisfied. I’m not an expert on all this but from what I can gather the PC computer version of TSW2 plays better because of superior PC computer hardware. If I’m wrong on this maybe someone could correct me? Personally if I was playing on a PC computer I wouldn’t play TSW2 I’d play some of the other TSW titles that appear to have a lot more content variety and routes for PC computer than TSW2 from what I’ve watched on the likes of YouTube. To me TSW2 is a console game ( Others will probably disagree ) therefore I’m prepared to compromise especially when you can buy the content cheap if you wait for the sales. Being able to buy content cheaper offsets the problems you mention for me. I suppose I’m easily pleased or at least my wallet is pleased. ;)

Edit… Having said that I believe classic controls are still the case in the preserved collection scenarios on PC computer editions for the same reasons given above.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

If you have classic control selected in the settings before you start the scenario, you can switch to immersion control once you start the scenario.

• Like Like x 2
  9. TrainSim-Adam

TrainSim-Adam Staff Member

Thanks for the thread. As the Preservation Team go through routes we are doing everything we can to remove the Classic Layout locks where they are in place. These locks were implemented as a safety net for our back catalogue when the new Immersion Layout was introduced. We're really pleased that the new Immersion Layout has been well received and is desired across the back catalogue as well.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mainstay

Mainstay New Member

Thank you for the reply about the layout. Still leaves the question about texture buildup / rendering range / popping et cetera on the PS5. Can we expect a big change with the release of Rushhour.

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Can you also free up the internal cameras in the cabs of all locos because those views are there to enable access to the controls and the controls can only be used with the classic controller’s cursor? With the camera fixed there is no way to use the immersion controller to flick the switches etc. The camera views are accessible with a keyboard but are then useless without being able to move the camera. It renders some functionality of the locos inoperable without standard controller setup. This should definitely have been done with the ‘new model’ of the Class 52 for the Diesel Legends pack as that is a new DLC but the cameras are fixed in the loco. Thanks.

12. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Just to add my voice to this, I much prefer the classic controls and I've been playing for long enough that I know how to use most of the trains so I'm ready for the option to choose one way or the other and not have the game override my decision at every turn. I get it in the tutorials, but they're forced for scenarios too and the fact that everyone's using a workaround to change to the scheme they prefer shows that there should be a proper option to prevent the game overriding that. Maybe make the popup say, "We recommend you use the Immersion controls for this content, but you're a big boy and you can make your own choices.", then leave it as whatever I set it to be.

While we're on the subject of the game choosing its own rules, when I have the distances set to auto so Europe get metric, UK/US get Imperial, the little markers that pop up on the track are all in miles, regardless of whether the rest of the HUD is in km. This sort of thing should have been tied down a long time ago.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HeuF

HeuF Active Member

I don't understand the problem and I don't understand why people react so strangely. I like the game and am glad it works. Have fun playing.