Press Br 140 For Hamburg-lübeck [latest Update: 10.12.2021]

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Lamplight, May 3, 2021.

1. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Hey there,

I noticed in the first preview stream for Hamburg-Lübeck that Matt mentioned PRESS running on Hamburg-Lübeck and that it would be nice to get them in at some point. That is exactly what I'm going to suggest.

A lot of forums users have expressed that they'd like to see some more German vintage rolling stock. PRESS operates a fleet of nine Br 140s, a veteran of German electric locos.

History
    The Br 140 was built between 1957 and 1973 as part of the Einheitslokomotivprogramm. The goal of this program was to design locomotives for different purposes on a single basis to reduce maintenance and training costs. The Br 140 was designed as a freight locomotive but handled passenger traffic as well. Their operation with DB (DB Cargo in later years) ended in 2016 after almost 60 years of service.

Technical features
    Wheel arrangement: Bo'Bo'
    Power: 3700kW
    Maximum tractive effort: 275kN
    Maximum speed: 100km/h, raised to 110km/h in 1969

Note that the 140 is not equipped with an electric brake, a new feature (or lack thereof) for German electric locomotives.

Why this loco?
    I have two main reasons for suggesting this loco.
    1. The Br 140 (and its family) is a true classic on German rails - like the Br 363. As many people have expressed a desire for more vintage German rolling stock, this loco fits the bill of being vintage while also being in use to this day.
    2. More private rail companies. With the exception of MRCE, we only have DB for German rails, but if you look at German rails today, they're absolutely packed with numerous private rail companies - both for passenger and freight operations. PRESS would be a nice addition to make German rails feel more prototypical.

Pictures
    And finally, the part that everyone loves - pictures. I will provide the source for the pictures under every individual picture.

press-140-038-0-nvr-nummer-91-1153524.jpg
    https://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/Deut...1153524/press-140-038-0-nvr-nummer-91-80.html

am-12112017-fuhr-140-050-3-1051876.jpg
    https://www.bahnbilder.de/bild/deut...e/1051876/am-12112017-fuhr-die-140-050-3.html

img_1944.jpg
    https://ichbinderzug.wordpress.com/2015/06/15/wieviele-loks-darf-er-fahren-zeig-dein-arbeitsplatz/

unnamed.jpg
    Eisenbahnromantik 2/2021

Notes
    If anyone speaking German wants more information about PRESS Br 140s, the above-mentioned issue of Eisenbahnromatik is a good place to start. If you have any further suggestion (new freight cars, perhaps?) or would like to comment on my suggestion in any other way, do feel free to share your thoughts here.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestion,

Cheers

EDIT (09.05.2021)
    I have posted a suggestion for another piece of PRESS rolling stock, which would make the license more worthwhile for DTG. You can find it here: PRESS Br 218 for Hamburg - Lübeck

Edit (12.08.2021)
    I found a nice video of PRESS 140s. Don‘t feel discouraged by the German narration - it doesn‘t really add anything to the video. They can be seen in the first couple of minutes:

Edit (24.09.2021)
    Another update for you. Here's a short cab ride showing the controls of the Br 140 in action. One thing you'll notice is the interesting sound of the tap changing process. It sounds like a series of bangs.

Edit (10.12.2021)
    In the recent Arosa stream, Matt confirmed that DTG already have a PRESS license. One less hurdle to overcome.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 6