Problem Completing Timetable Session "extra 07" (mp15 Switcher)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Apr 20, 2020.

1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Timetable Session "Extra 07" begins as a well-planned switching exercise on the Peninsula Corridor route that involves rescuing a passenger train after both its F40PH-2 CAT and its Nippon Sharyo Gallery Car have failed. While driving this session today, I decided to throw in some work of my own. After replacing the failed Gallery Car, I saw a fueling point ahead and decided to stop for a top-up, which turned out to be possible. However, it delayed my progress, didn't it? After this improvisation, I proceeded to replace the CAT unit. Coupling to the failed CAT and dropping it off on a work siding went well, but the next task involved pulling out onto a through track before coupling to the replacement unit. As I reached the turn-around marker, I looked out the MP15's rear window and saw this:
    TSW_Tommaso_1587401483_00.jpg
    which was enough to make me nervous. Fortunately, number 913 stopped before colliding with my switcher; unfortunately, it was sitting on the switch I needed to change in order to reach the replacement CAT!
    Fortunately, I had created a save point right after dropping off the failed CAT, so I went back to that to see exactly when 913 had started its run. I started driving toward the assigned stopping point, stopping safely short of entering the through track, but 913 had not started moving. After waiting a bit, I pulled forward to the assigned stopping point. It seemed that my arrival there had triggered 913's departure:
    TSW_Tommaso_1587401459_00.jpg
    Why would 913 be programmed to start just as I arrived at ... wait a minute! Of course, my decision to make a fuel stop had taken just enough time to put me in this dangerous position (but actually I didn't figure that out until I started writing this post.
    The moral is: resist the temptation to improvise during a well-planned activity!
    I'll try running the whole session again tomorrow just to find out how 913 is supposed to affect the switcher.