Proposal: Csx Emd Sd70ac

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Griffin Dalton, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Griffin Dalton

Griffin Dalton New Member

These engines are a large part of CSX's heavy-pulling fleet and would make a great addition to the game.
    Built in 2004, the second phase of EMD SD70MAC's delivered to CSX were numbered 4700-4830, totaling 130 units. They feature the typical SD70M body and isolated widecab (or "WhisperCab"), but retain AC traction motors (hence the 'AC' in 'MAC') and flared radiator vents on the rear, as opposed to earlier models with the flat ones. Ranking at 4,300hp, the units have an EMD 16-710G prime mover under the hood.
    Uniquely, when painted in YN3, EMD used a cheap primer and paint on them which faded strangely to an orangey/pink and tealish blue. It's truly their most notable feature, and makes them stand out more than normal CSXT units. That being said, many have been since painted into YN3b with a fresh coat of dark blue with the boxcar logo. I believe both paints included would be a nice touch.
    Operationally, the unit features a desktop control stand in the cab with computer displays. Somewhat similar to the AC4400, with EMD's quirks. They also feature cab signal displays, but that's not super
    important for this route. You provided us a good SD70 model in Railworks, and their cabs are near identical as shown:
    (Controls on the CSX SD70MAC. Note the similarities between this and the AC4400CW.)
    csxt736cab-01l.jpg
    (Note the faded and weathered paint. This is YN3.) csxsd70.jpg
    (Another photo of the YN3 version. You can clearly discern the difference in the shades of this paint)
    csxssd734.jpg
    (Boxcar Logo variant.)
    11csx4719.jpg
    DTG, with the work you've shown us this far, I hope you can pull these off, too. SD70MACs roam CSXT everywhere these days, and having them on a coal/autorack unit train up Sandpatch would be sweet.

All photos belong to their original owners. I take no ownership and only display them for demonstration purposes.

• Like Like x 7