Ps5 Performance - What Is It With Tsw?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Redbus, Oct 5, 2022.

1. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just installed TSW3 on the PS5 after a month playing it on Xbox Series X, and I am disappointed to find the same performance issues that plagued the platform in TSW2 have been carried forward. My benchmark is usually the 06:58 service out of Victoria on London Commuter, which on loading the service on Series X runs on average around 50 fps. On PS5 the fps tanks into the 20s, so only half the frame rate for the same service, all other things being equal (weather, installed addons etc).

The Microsoft machine does have a slight hardware advantage, but nothing surely to justify such a difference in performance when things get busy on screen. It’s the same story in Crewe station, or rush hour in Dresden, the PS5 lags well behind on fps and smoothness in busy areas. So what the heck is going on, and why is it so unoptimised? The performance differences are usually only slight when compared like for like against the Series X when tests are performed on multi platform games, so why such a difference in TSW?

• Like Like x 1
  2. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

It's unfortunate that DTG tend to do all their development on PC / XBox and then port to PS. You can really see the lack of testing / optimisations (and don't expect much in terms of taking advantage of unique features of PS).

• Like Like x 2
  3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Just to be clear DTG, I am not at all suggesting image quality settings to be tinkered with here; they should definitely stay the same as Series X. What I am saying is that something is affecting PS5 performance that is way out of proportion with the hardware differences between the two consoles. Because of the TSW 60 fps performance cap the disparity is difficult to measure on most routes, but it is definitely noticeable in busy scenes to the detriment of game fluidity. Like I said, Victoria is one of the worst performance killers with frames down to half of Series X.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

I have posted this a few times now that the ps5 needs to be optimized i really hope dtg are going to look at this. This is a game changer at the moment and is horrible to play at times.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

DTG optimize the PlayStation version of the game. Fat chance of that

Unless Sony splash the cash to bring the game to PS+, Matt and the DTG team will pay little to no attention to the PS version of the game

We are just second class citizens here, best get used to it

• Like Like x 2
  6. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

Genuine question: what does making TSW a PS Plus game do for Sony? I don’t even know what it does for the user tbh, other than it appears as an icon next to the game, and sometimes there’s a ps plus discount…

7. richtayls

richtayls Well-Known Member

As a PS Plus subscriber you would get the base game included for ‘free’ either as a monthly game (probably too niche for that to happen) or in the ‘extra’ tier. You would still need to pay for all the DLC.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

As apposed to Xbox with Gamepass?

Look how long Xbox gamer had broken sound issues on every route for almost a year or more. It is common knowledge that DTG have a preference for the Xbox platform, probably from the dev kit robust-ness. There does seem to be more leeway and flexibility on the Xbox infrastructure than Sony with Playstation is very locked down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

These other issues aside, there is still no explanation as to why out of two very similar machines, one reaches twice the frame rates of the other when the going gets tough. Other Unreal games do not exhibit such a performance difference.

• Like Like x 1
  10. retroblue#4160

retroblue#4160 New Member

If I'd have known this, I wouldn't have just spent good money on my PS5 copy. Should have read the forums before buying.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Actually this game runs best on Xbox Series.
    PC version is a stutter fest, badly optimized
    PS5 version seems to also have massive performance issues.

DTG needs to get the performance fixed!

• Like Like x 2
  12. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd say PC is the best way to experience TSW. The only reason for supposed PC stuttering is because everyone is on their own individual hardware and settings. I play TSW on my 3070 laptop without any ini edits or mods, just a plain install with every released DLC.

I can run it at 1080p/Ultra/60fps without issue, next to no stuttering apart from tile loading while driving. If I bump it up to 4K/High, I get anywhere between 30-60fps depending on route, area and how many trains are near me. There are noticeable stutters at these settings but I think it's the constantly fluctuating fps if anything but still, it's far from a stutter fest as you put it. Still perfectly playable. If I had a desktop equivalent of my laptop, I'd probably manage 4K/High/60fps.

As for the PS5, I'm not really blown away with the performance of TSW3. There are really noticeable dips in fps whilst playing the game, especially so on TSW3 routes. I do wonder if the new clouds are behind a lot of the performance dips. On PC, you can usually claw back a bit of fps by setting the clouds a notch lower in settings.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

You realize that these "tile loading" are exactly the stutters everyone is talking about?
    Also, TSW looks horrible on 1080p in my opinion, even with AA. Even on Series S the standard setting is 4k.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Exactly, the Series X runs smoother than my PC. No reason then, why the PS5 shouldn’t do also.

15. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it's not severe stuttering in my experience, just a split second and then done. TSW3 actually looks better in 1080p than TSW2 did at 100% screen percentage, it doesn't seem to look as blurry. As it currently stands, I get a smoother experience on my laptop than PS5.

The only things that would get me to change to console full time is optimising the PS5 version and adding cross platform saves for those of us who have the game on different platforms using Dovetail Live. I'm surprised this actually isn't a thing yet.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
  16. Jay1986

Jay1986 Well-Known Member

I have both the PS5 and Series X versions, and I find the series X to have more FPS dips surprising.

17. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

There shouldn't be any noticible dips. This game has 2018 graphics

• Like Like x 1
  18. Turbojugend

Turbojugend Well-Known Member

The thing is, this latest console gen is the first where I've barely noticed performance issues. Every game I own runs at a mostly steady 60fps... or higher. Usually 4K and HDR as well. Every game except TSW2 and 3.

On the upside, the PS5 versions of TSW are clearly a massive improvement over the PS4 versions performance-wise. But when the frame rate starts chugging and shadows are popping up right in front of the train... well, it definitely takes me back to the old days.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

TSW is a strange piece of software, that's why you can't compare the performance to other games or simulators. I suspect there is something fundamentally wrong on a core level and that's why the game has performance issues and relatively bad graphics (see shadows) on even the most modern systems and consoles

• Like Like x 3
  20. arek#2842

arek#2842 Well-Known Member

Why "strange" piece of software?

It's just a regular software as any other, there is no magic included, just developers skill. So either it is just poorly optimized or, as you said, poorly build in its fundamentals and hence too complex to be successfully optimized in the state of development it is right now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  21. tsw2

tsw2 Well-Known Member

Probably a bit of both. Fundamental issues with the core since TSW1 and not enough effort (if there ever was one) to optimize the game performance and fix the stuttering

• Like Like x 1
  22. dudders

dudders Well-Known Member

Tsw3 is a mess on playstation 5. If i play tsw2 first then load up tsw3 the difference is night and day. Tsw2 nice and smooth. Tsw3 low fps stuttering just not nice to use. So at the moment I'm not using tsw3 there's no point the performance is not good in places. Please dtg put this at the top of your list we want a game that's payable and mines not. I decided to download the ps4 version of tsw3 and guess what runs a lot smoother on ps5 than the ps5 version.

• Like Like x 2