Xbox Quality Of Graphics

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by richard cooper, Sep 7, 2022.

1. richard cooper

richard cooper Active Member

I am playing on Xbox series x and a Samsung 32 inch LCD TV. I have toggled between HD and 4K and altered TV settings but still find graphics disappointing. The world seems far to bright and trees as you pass look blurry and seem to coalesce into one mass. The draw distance seems off and perspective in the distance doesn't look realistic. I hope this is something Devs might look at. Any thoughts from the forum.

• Like Like x 6
  2. StrikeEagle78

StrikeEagle78 Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. Noticeable scenery popping that we didn't see so glaringly in TSW2. If you ride around the Training Centre track look at the switcher posts. They will disappear then reappear as you get close. And the lighting does feel mostly too bright / washed out yet at other times feels right. No idea how that would be fixed though. Tunnel lighting is great though in my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

The trees in the training centre stood out like a sore thumb. I've changed it on the pc but by god was it annoying when I first played

• Like Like x 2
  4. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is above t the training which is reducing performance and graphics on the route so much

Its by far the smallest route, with zero AI trains and no signals. Yet is by far the most stuttery mess with assets appearing in format our very eyes.

• Like Like x 3
  5. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

I guess this is the best they could do to optimise the game? I noticed the game doesn't have memory crashes anymore on Xbox (for now)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Observadorpt

Observadorpt Active Member

Hi

I noticed in cathcart circle and in the rabe route when starting a scenario or service, i see 1 train only with chairs visible, the rest invisible, only when i aproach the textures loaded.

7. chieflongshin

I think theres been some heavy work going on behind the scenes as I seem to be noticing a shed load more pop in now. I don't know if its just because I got comfortable playing with londonmidland tsw2 ini settings though.

8. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

While sympathizing completely with this X-Box situation, I just want to note that on my PC the TSW3 graphics are very impressive.

9. StrikeEagle78

You are seeing mostly (maybe all) smooth gameplay throughout the new routes without micro stutters? If so that would be nice that at least one platform is working well.

10. jamesantonyknight

jamesantonyknight New Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but on Ultra the game runs at no more than 70fps, and sometimes inexplicably drops to 30fps when there is little to no traffic on the route. I have a GTX 2080 SUPER, and can run Cyberpunk 2077 on ultra at 120fps consistently.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mandonov

mandonov Active Member

I saw this in Wurzburg as an incoming freight train looked to be pulled by a small floating grey box rather than a locomotive. As it got closer the red shell of the cab surrounding the floating engine popped in.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
  12. chieflongshin

I've observed too that on sehs I can run the whole route aboit 70fps and then ebbsfkeet high speed line towards Pancras it nose dives for a bit

13. antwerpcentral

You got HDR on PC then if you called it impressive?

14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

To me anyway it seems that the graphics in the new routes look better than in any of the legacy ones. This could just be the lighting, but for some reason the new routes seem crisper.

15. antwerpcentral

It's indeed a huge improvement over TSW2 but I can't call it impressive. Call me a spoiled brat but I think these are the graphics we should have gotten on TSW2 on gen8.

There was so much wrong with TSW2 that TSW3 is a huge improvement. It feels like the big fix for what we paid for in TSW2

• Like Like x 2
  16. tmw

tmw New Member

A lot of the static graphics are very good, certainly look like the real thing etc. Dynamically, there’s a load of stuttering and popping etc, and anything away from the track (cars, roads etc) I’d have been disappointed with on the PS2 let alone the Xbox series x…..

To me, it just feels unfinished. I get that there are a lot of hard working people who will probably be disheartened by the amount of negativity about the launch, and I sympathise, there are too many quality issues and basic quality problems for it to be considered a finished product

• Like Like x 4
  17. LastTrainToClarksville

Yes, "micro stutters" do occur, but for the most part they are so micro as to be easily ignored. Would I prefer going without them? Of course: but that would require exchanging some of my computer's components, causing macro-stutters in my finances.

• Like Like x 1
  18. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Upgrading your PC wouldn't get rid of those stutters. It's a fundamental problem with the way it's been developed, which only DTG can resolve.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. LastTrainToClarksville

That's not an accurate description of what I wrote.

20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have no problems with the graphics in TSW3. I can play on PC in 4k at ultra settings with a consistent 60fps plus and no drops or crashes and no noticeable stutters or lags. I do wish that the standard of environmental objects such as building textures and the cartoonish road vehicles was better, but that's a different discussion. Other than those things, my beefs with TSW3 are concerned with content and gameplay.

However, from reading the forums, it's clear that a great many players do have graphical problems and that really shouldn't be happening with 9th gen consoles, which are on a level with mid to high end PC's.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  21. khestrell

khestrell New Member

Absolutely agree with graphics being terrible. Feels like everything is deliberately dumbed down in favor of the new weather system which is an absolute performance hog. Low quality, blurred trees, shadows drawing in front of you, overall lack of details on new routes etc., yet horrible performance on a good PC (even with low sky setting). These things really breaking immersion for me. Starting to feel that unreal engine was a poor choice for this game, especially when I look at ETS2 which is now a 10+ yo game and still looks and runs awesome.
    I really hope they will optimize graphics and performance tho, this is certainly not a finished product.

edit: on older routes or without dynamic weather, the game seems to look better, but like this upgrading to TSW3 was completely unnecessary

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  22. chieflongshin

I was driving the new Dislok 182 last night and two me the cab polygons look like they've been reduced. I swear all the PZB lights etc looked round when you zoomed in on them before. All the MFD fonts are atrocious too.

23. bljohansson#4171

bljohansson#4171 Active Member

I know the 5800X3D does wonders with single threaded strategy games. Makes me wonder if maybe it could alleviate the stutters when loading new tiles. If not the 5800X3D then maybe one of the 7000-series v-cache models.

I have well over 100h in TSW3 on XSX and my experience is that AI trains are by far the worst perps when it comes to lowering performance. The XSX handles the new skybox pretty well even in the worst of conditions. But throw in a AI train anywhere in sight and performance tanks.

24. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m on PS5 and by far the biggest issue with graphics is the invisible trains and them only popping in when very close to the camera. It’s getting a bit tiresome having to go down the whole length of a train to get the wagons to load and then being faced with some of them disappearing again or AI trains loading in ‘interiors first’ right in front my eyes. It’s happening on all routes too, not just the newer ones, so definitely a core issue and happens on scenario planner with just one short train present so not entirely linked to a lot of content being present either.

• Like Like x 2
  25. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

May or may not be related to this but I noticed that the trains parked up at the East Side of Dresden HBf on Riesa Dresden take getting very close for them to load their interiors, if you stand at the station before approaching them you can see through their front windows and the route rather than the cab itself

26. addry#6825

addry#6825 Well-Known Member

PC graphics are horrible compared to xbox. When i look in the distance even on ultra trees look blurred and washed out, ground textures plain and devoid of texture. Horrible.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

Addry, go in settings advanced settings and put your screen percentage up to about 150 do this while in-game looking at the trees, also make sure you press f3 as well to enable fps because by turning screen percentage up your fps will drop, and then adjust other setting to get nice fps..
    Game is overly bright to get round this i used the colour settings in my amd control panel and turn the brightness down and contrast up, and turn up saturation
    hope this helps
    Josh

28. andyscotland

andyscotland Well-Known Member

I'm on ps4 and generally graphics are OK with reasonable performance apart.from the occasional stutter, I wish they'd do away with the greyness though, I guess it makes the game perform better it there's less colour but some routes are just soooooo grey

29. addry#6825

I loaded up the same route on MSB on xbox and PC with the same weather. And what I noticed straight away was on PC I had no dynamic lighting and no casted shadows. On xbox its looked ace, on PC I didn't even have a sun! Gonna check to see if ini tweaks has messed up the game.

30. champier#2613

champier#2613 Member

The only thing I would love DTG to do on PS5 is increase draw distance for shadows or integrate a slider so we can control it ourselves n happily take performance hit if we want

31. deeuu#6908

deeuu#6908 Well-Known Member

It really depends on the route and the weather / time, some older routes with certain weather / time conditions don't look very nice, but the newer ones look really good IMO.

32. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Looks good on my Logik 4K tv

33. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure part of the blame here is on the new lighting system. The low contrast high brightness effect of light falling on trees on new routes makes the billboarding stand out much more, and look super flat, where on the old routes without the new lighting, they're more shadowed and you don't notice it as much.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

In TSW PC the TAA antialiasing is not brilliant but setting the rendering scale to 150 cleans it up nicely (RTX 3090 Ti running 1440p). My ini file is lightly modified and scenery pop in is largely mitigated. Keep my frames limited to 80 in the game and it’s as smooth as I’ve seen it.

35. Princess Entrapta

Although that doesn't solve the issue arising from the brighter light interacting with surfaces like grass resulting in them maximally reflecting the light as though every field is made out of a single sheet of glass, because:

toodamnhigh.png

• Like Like x 1
  36. StrikeEagle78

TSW3 should come with a splash screen warning "Due to this game being in early access, players should be warned that the current state of the graphics may cause nausea and/or migraine headaches"

• Like Like x 1
  37. addry#6825

Just had to post a plea in the forum. Goodness me the route ive just had was utterly atrocious.

• Like Like x 1
  38. StrikeEagle78

I think what you meant was it was standard TSW3 quality :D

• Like Like x 1
  39. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Lock the damn thing at 30 fps and give us more details.

40. Princess Entrapta

Ooooh, 30fps gaming!
    viewmaster.gif

• Like Like x 5
  41. ildario77

Seriously? Flight Simulator runs at 30 fps on Xbox Series X and that's visually great. Forza Horizon 5 runs at 30 fps in quality mode and that's great. Cyberpunk 2077 runs at 30 fps in ray tracing mode and that's great.

• Like Like x 1
  42. StrikeEagle78

There's a reason I'll take a performance mode over quality mode any day in a game. FH5 and CP2077 feel like slide shows at 30fps when compared to performance mode. I could do without the small visual detail increase if it means smooth fluid frame rates.

• Like Like x 1
  43. ildario77

Sure. If the game can deliver a steady 60 fps experience, performance mode all the way. The problem is TSW simply can't do that.

• Like Like x 1
  44. StrikeEagle78

It would be worth an experiment though so you're not wrong. If the game could "feel smooth" at 30 FPS then I'd say thumbs up. I don't know if MSFS on Xbox runs at 30FPS since there's no counter in sim, but I've heard this number before. It certainly doesn't "feel" as less smooth than other performance mode 60FPS games for the most part. I know a feeling of smoothness can be subjective, but I think we can all agree that stutters are definitely objective.

45. Princess Entrapta

I run Flight Sim in the uncapped FPS mode on my Series X which is a major improvement. You need a 120hz+ VRR monitor for that though.
    FH5 and CP77 are unplayable for me at 30. I play CP77 at 60 on my X, my S, my PC and my Aya handheld, so glad we got that performance mode on S because I couldn't play it on there before that.

46. Princess Entrapta

I think a big deciding factor is how you respond physically to motion blur.
    If you can tolerate it, then the motion blur used to cover up the flickering effect of low FPS in many games with poorer performance will probably look smooth.
    If motion blur makes you sick, then you need to turn it off, and the flickering effect of low FPS will be vastly more noticeable.

47. Princess Entrapta

MSFS on Series X runs at a capped 30 unless you have a high refresh VRR capable display, at which point it will detect if your XBox's system level output is set to 120fps and VRR is on, and if it sees those settings, it will know it is safe to uncap the framerate. My monitor's OSD has a framerate counter, which shows how far it can vary, but generally close to the ground and in built-up areas it will be closer to 40, whereas above large empty areas at a higher altitude it can shoot up quite a bit.

It's definitely a mode that could ONLY possibly work with VRR, since it would be a total mess of screen tearing otherwise, as the FPS can be all over the place depending on where you aim the camera.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. StrikeEagle78

See this is interesting. I knew about the VRR being able to push up the FPS, but comparing MSFS at a capped 30 (which would be my case as I'm not using a VRR monitor) and TSW3 which runs between 40 and 60 fps the difference is night and day. My only guess is the very fast flip flops between 40 and 60 in quick succession are what's causing the stuttering. So maybe a capped 30 or 40 fps option would smooth out the ride?