Question About Using Google Maps In Train Simulator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ctrainsim156, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Ctrainsim156

Ctrainsim156 New Member

Hey everyone, I hope everyone’s doing well so far. So, there’s this feature in train simulator that I didn’t know that we could all use and that feature is Google Maps. Yeah, I didn’t know we could actually use Google Maps and I didn’t know about it, until this past weekend.

I have two questions about this feature. My first question is, Are we able to use the assets or the scenery objects, the house, trees, cars, and etc from the route that we chose from Google Maps Or are we using our assets that we own from the different routes that we bought? I watched a video where a person was making a CSX route based off from a real route using Google Maps and the scenery objects and assets I think.
    And my second question leading to that is, does anyone know how I can get my Google Maps or API Key or whatever it is into train simulator? I’ve watched a tutorial and saw the website but when I went on the website, the website changed like it got updated or something and so I’m not even sure how to actually do it.
    Sorry if this is not the right channel for me to post my question here or not but yeah.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you put a Google map in to the game, and someone else will explain how, it does not come with any 3D objects.
    It is like having a model railway track map where you have pictures of different track layouts, buildings and scenery.
    You still have to use what you already own and place something like what the map shows you.

Peter

3. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

To answer the second part of your question, once you have your api key you need to go into the settings and tools section of the game at the beginning when it first loads, then enter your key and save it should all work then.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

You have to set up billing information on your google account before you can get the api key, don't worry though this is aimed more at charging web developers for integrating the api's into their websites and apps, you as a TS route builder will never get charged anything because even pro route developers use this for 1000's of hours but still never exceed or even come close to reaching the free allowed data usage.
    It sounds scarier than it is, but either way you won't be able to use your api key without setting up billing on a genuine card.

Here is how you set it up.. https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/places/web-service/get-api-key forget the last paragraph though as that doesn't apply to us, you simply follow mr2mark's instructions above to enter it into the TS game environment.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. Ctrainsim156

Ctrainsim156 New Member

Ah, okay awesome. Alright thank you so much!

6. Ctrainsim156

Ctrainsim156 New Member

Alright awesome, thanks! I’ll try that out.

7. Ctrainsim156

Ctrainsim156 New Member

Ohh, okay I see. Thank you so much!! Yeah, I don’t really have like any cards to set up a billing information thing, as I am just a beginner at this and want to expand more in train simulator but definitely yeah I’ll try to make sure I do that.

• Like Like x 1