Question On Speed Limits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by maddog66, Mar 28, 2018.

1. maddog66

maddog66 New Member

I've entered this in Steam's Discussions.
    Just a Question on Speed limits in theTS 's programs. Are the speed limits set in the program itself or in the type of engine files on the loco that one is using? Can it be changed?
    Reason I'm asking, is that I would like to change the way it's set up. For instance a steam engine in the US, to my knowledge did not have electronic speed monitoring devices to shut you down into emergency braking. Maybe on rebuilt ones used today for exhibit runs.
    I would like to change it for any of the Locos that I do run. Not for speed, but for reality.
    Example; I have a 20 - 30 whatever, long train. I'm the engineer and coming out of a 60 speed zone into a 40. BAM my engine crosses that limit sign, I'm locked down into emergency braking, that's not real.
    On Chicago Transit Authority's vehicles in-which I gave them 35yrs +, if you over speed you get an over speed warning , if you don't start reducing speed, by going into the braking positions, then yes you will go into emergency.
    So here in TS I have this long train, ENGINE passes into a speed zone less than the zone I was in. BAM Emergency stop.
    Now on the other side, (I'm the ENGINEER) on a long freight. Speed zone....say 30, now loco enters a higher zone. As I said "I'm the engineer", I have seen and passed my new speed limit sign....
    BUT DON"T DO IT, don't increase your speed yet...or bam into emergency. I guess I have to wait until my switchman , conductor or whoever, caboose man tells me that my butt end is out of the 30 and tells me to Hit it, Pedal to the Metal. Sorry that's not real life.
    Here in the US, if I have entered my vehicle into an intersection and the light turns red to stop. I have the right to continue and leave that intersection. You don't get penalized to do so no matter how long your vehicle & trailers are.
    I've had my share of sims, and one that comes to mind, "Falcon 4.0". That was set-up by the Company with engagements in N. Korea. Once it got out, many people were able to create different scenarios in different parts of the world. They knew how to rewrite the programs. Is this possible with Train Sims?
    I hope that someone here that makes DLC's for locos and other things , may know the inner workings to change this speed zone things.
    I haven't been here long, I really don't want to pull out. But with all this braking it is really a pain in the rear end.
    Also right now can't wait for Smokebox's historic Union Pacific 4-4-0 N. 119 and a golden spike route to match. I would hate to pull due to all the Emergency.Braking.

2. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Uh....do you have the option in the game turned on that applies the emergency brake when you speed? Because whenever I speed I never get an e brake unless the locomotive as specifically coded scripting for it. Also, never ever have that option on. It’s stupid.

3. maddog66

maddog66 New Member

pschlik
    What did I say in my post???? BAM "EMERGENCY" ....that's where I should probably go, the emergency I'm losing my mind..
    Let me thank you, for when I started Steam and TS , I started playing around with things as in Set-Up and I didn't go back there. It's now changed & I guess I'll just live with warnings at the end of my scenario's
    It would be nice to change passing a increased speed limit sign and to increase speed before your butt-end passes through.... I'll live with it....
    Let me Thank You again
    Rich

4. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Ah, that’s part of real life though. It would not be safe to go 60 mph while the back of the train is in a 15 mph zone. The front of the train might be safe, but the back of the train could derail! It is safest to wait until the whole train is in a fast zone before speeding up.

5. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

pschlik I completely agree but I wanted to reply with a few observations:
    In real life I often very weirdly observe drivers. Most of them accelerate when about half the train has past the speed limit change - irresponsible behavior in my eyes, since the passengers at the back always get tossed 'round and the sharp turn/junction might get damaged or cause damage to the speeding train. This happened to me twice in real life - once services got postponed due to junction damage after speeding, the other time I was in the last wagon and we all got unified with the left wall :(

Nevertheless, Deutsche Bahn is always late.

Cheers,
    Prof.

I'm not implying that you should do the same in simulators or that this behavior should be changed. I'm merely giving you my observations.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In TS2018 it's the Track which has the Speed set in to it because you need to go at the set Speed over the section of track.
    And basically you are saying you wish to change it so you can speed around the railway?

If you put the F3 or F4 HUD on it shows what the Track Speed approaching is or, on US Routes the Signals tell you how fast you should be going when you pass them. So you see up to two miles at 60mph - the faster you are going the further you see - and you get the distance to the next Signal or Speed counting down as you Approach so you know when to Brake so you don't speed.

Peter