PlayStation Questions From Someone Getting Started Pc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jaypolkam21, Mar 31, 2020.

1. jaypolkam21

jaypolkam21 New Member

Hi,

I do a good amount of flight simulation with X-Plane and thought I wold enjoy a train simulator on my PC. In poking around I get the impression that you can't use a joystick on a train simulator for a PC, is this correct, or perhaps you could get an XBox type of controller for a PC. I see that they run about $20. Is this correct?

Now for the loaded question. I see about 3 different simulators: Trainz, Train Simulator and Train Sim World 2020. I don't want the type where you build your own RR more like a monopoly game. Don't want multiplayer, I don't want something with such a steep learning curve that I get frustrated. I would like to be able to use it "out of the box" without having to download a bunch of content (either freeware or payware). And something that I can attach a controller or joystick to.

I see that some of these come out with a new version every year. Do they change that much or they just want to generate more $$.

2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

My instant reaction to your whole set of concerns/queries would be to recommend that you buy TSW - "Train Sim World" on PS4, if you have a PS4, and get the Collector's Edition. If you do not have a PS4 (or XBox), then get the same product via Steam for your PC, but ensure that your PC meets the recommended set of specified requirements. Do not spend more than £40 (or $40), at the outset.

If you buy the PC version of Train Sim World, then you will be able to use an XBox controller ($20 should you get a licensed one), and this should meet most of your gameplay needs, 99% of the time (or 100%). But a mini wireless keyboard might come in handy for making very minor changes to the HUD, in-game - but not absolutely needed. You can pick up the manual from Steam.

Train Sim World is probably your best gateway drug into train simming.... given what you have said - it is the "out of the box" playable one. It is relatively easy to play and has no world building or strategy gameplay - it's just about driving trains (no steam engines yet), has great graphics (3D models), and is easy to use. Do not sign up for Dovetail Live or Mastery, as these will only frustrate you. Try to ignore the horrific UI.... when you finally get to run trains... and you get into it, it will be worth it.

Train SImulator 20xx is for PC only, and has more simulation elements to it, but is really designed for use with a keyboard. You can use the XBox controller on the publisher's DLC for 80% of tasks, but you will absolutely need a keyboard for some key tasks - you cannot play without a keyboard, as the publisher (Dovetail - same publisher as Train Sim World) did not have the imagination to realise that one controller should be enough for this title. Unless your keyboard has a decent trackpad with clickable (physical make to make switched) Left and Right Mouse Buttons, then you will also need a mouse...., so that you can RMB-Click and drag...., preferably with a wheel (to zoom).

Train Simulator 20xx is launched every year with a different set of three or four routes. So - for example, if you buy TS2020 and TS2019, you will get the DLC issued in 2019 and 2018, so six or seven routes. The routes are different for each year - so if you see these marked up for $5 each (but must be originally sealed for the Steam code) in a bargain bucket, then you could buy one from each year.... You also get an Editor, for making your scenarios, etc.

Trainz would seem to me to be the last of your priorities, but many say this is the best for world building and editing - but only get this if this is your main priority, as you are then moving into different territory, like Railway Empire, Railway Tycoon, Transport Empire and Sim City.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

One thing I would add to synthetic angel’s advice is that both Trainz and Train Simulator have a bewildering array of extra content which would definitely frustrate you and your wallet, and lots of extra content requires lots of other extra content to work. You may well spend more time trying to find the content you need than actually using the sim (that was my experience with Trainz, before I found TSW). Probably not the products for you.

Train Sim World (TSW2020) is definitely the way to go for you. All the extra content is official and there is not a great amount of it. If you do get it and like it, it is likely that you will want to expand it with the extra DLC content, and with TSW this is very simple, but not necessary to use the sim.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

If I may offer my point of view which is just my point of view of course-

I enjoy Train Simulator very much- so much so that, even though I have bought TSW, I haven't really gotten into it yet. The large amount of DLC may look bewildering at first but it represents a great deal of choice which is a good thing. Decide what you are interested in, read the reviews or ask here or the Steam forums and you'll soon make sense of what's available. Then wait for sales before you buy anything!

The game as it comes in whatever edition includes three or four routes which, if you get into it, will waste a substantial amount of your time- I got started with TS2016 plus The Weardale and Teesdale Network in the '60s and it was about a year and hundreds of hours of driving before I bought any additional DLC.

You might also keep in mind the TS can be pretty cheap if you find an older edition available somewhere (which may have a bundle of routes that interests you more than the current offering). Deals and prices change all the time so there's no point in posting a link but I've seen TS2016 going for less than a pound for example. At that price you just might be able to afford both.

No experience with Trainz at all here BTW so nothing to offer on that but hope this is helpful.