Quick Drive Is Pointless

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paintbrushguy, Sep 10, 2022.

1. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Story time.
    I decide to give quick drive a try. None of the half-hour-or-under services work, as the game just picks a turorial I haven't done (which is all of them, because none of the tutorial completions port from TSW2). So then I give the 30+min a whirl. I then get thrown into a service on London Commuter, completely resets my HUD config to default and spawns me with the East Coastway 377.

WTF!

Why bother making a feature that only works half of the time and on that half gives you the wrong thing?

I'll be sticking to timetabled mode thank you.

• Like Like x 4
  2. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

Never tried QD yet in TSW3, but if it resets the HUD or other UI elements to default it would be bad.

3. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I do wish there was a setting to prevent the quick play from throwing us into tutorials. I doubt anyone is going to want to play most tutorials.

• Like Like x 9
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Not to mention each time a tutorial starts, you get those stupid coloured stop approach markers back on the track, because DTG think we are all 8 year old kids who need the training wheels on…

• Like Like x 8
  5. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

In the time I have been a DTG customer I have seen many times that they spend time and resources inventing useless things that nobody asked for and most of the time they work badly. On the other hand, there are a multitude of other things that people ask to be fixed, changed or improved and they don't spend a minute doing it because they stay exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hypospray

hypospray Active Member

The idea of having a QD itself is a actually nice new feature.
    They just need to iron out the implementation, and avoid any interference with user customizable UI Elements and other settings.
    Since it's the first iteration of a new feature im sure they will take the feedback.

I agree they should exclude any tutorial scenarios from the QD generation routines.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HappyBasher

HappyBasher Active Member

I think it makes sense for it to give you a tutorial if you haven't done it - better than chucking you into a new loco you have never driven before.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Quick drive should have been the equivalent in TSC where you can mix and match route and traction (including a consist editor). This TSW3 QD is more like a lucky dip…

• Like Like x 3
  9. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

Then perhaps a slider, either to include tutorials or to exclude them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Although it does make a certain level of sense, then again you should have the option of not doing a tutorial if you so choose, but still being able to use QD. Why should it force you to do the tutorial, maybe you already know how to drive?

Besides the fact that doing the tutorial apparently doesn't always clear from it your list.

11. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

QD needs a config in the menu options so when you click quick drive it does exactly what you want it to do.

Dont want tutorials - thats fine disable them in the settings.
    Always want an uncompleted journey mode service - great just select that in the settings.
    Want a biase towards US freight services with just a splattering of other services - sure you can opt for that in the settings. or you could just tick the US frieght only box also found in the settings.
    Do you hate UK modern image - well thats ok, its not for everyone, head over to the settings and disable them from being selected.

It gives everyone the flexibility of having quickdrive their way without the need for a thousand options everytime you hit quick drive.

• Like Like x 4
  12. March Hare

March Hare Well-Known Member

Well, I like the idea of quick play. And I liked the idea that you always get a tutorial first if you haven't played a route/loco before. Except in my one-time experience, this didn't happen: it threw me into Spirit of Steam with no tutorial, and I wouldn't know where to begin with a steam engine, so I quit out. So it's really interesting to see a complaint that you only get tutorials, which I expected but didn't get at all yet needed lol

13. I was actually under the delusion that quick drive was gonna be the same as tsc.

14. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

I also thought it had been mentioned on one of the streams, that you could use QD as it is now, OR, you could first select a route, and then start QD for that route only. Although I have not seen that in practice, I thought that it had been implied. Perhaps I just heard it wrong.

15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I like the feature but not tutorials, that said I do journey mode so I’ll have to do them I guess

16. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure I clicked on something to say I was an experienced user when I first started TSW3 and yet the game throws me into tutorials when I want a random service and sets my UI to stop markers on. I don’t see the point in clicking that thing at the start now. Maybe a system to lock out all tutorials from the quick drive instead of one to lock me out of journey chapters might have been better use of the big bag of padlocks DTG bought on Amazon.

• Like Like x 2