Railroad Switch List In Scenarios

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by treid09, Oct 24, 2019.

1. treid09

treid09 Guest

I am starting this thread to see if anyone can help with an idea I had to enhance local freight operations in TS 2020. On American and Canadian railroads, local freights have a switch list that the conductor uses to what cars are to be set out and picked up at each siding and industry. I am a model railroader, and in that hobby, some modelers use switch lists that they put together in a computer program, like the real thing, in operations on their layouts. I am considering whether it would be feasible to implement this same procedure in Train Simulator. For instance, I could find out what the train symbol is for a local freight that serves Wycon on the Sherman Hill route, build the scenario, and make a switch list with Microsoft Excel available on this forum for everybody to print out and use as their switch list. They would able to hold the papers themselves like in real life and be able to plan out their moves. Please let me know what you think, and give any feedback on how to best accomplish this. Also, feel free to give me any other ideas for how to enhance operations. God bless.

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Generally it's not the sort of thing UK Railway Modellers would do - unless they are modelling a US Layout
    The chaps at Railworks America would know better as some of them will be Railroad Modellers using the same sort of Switch Lists and they might know what can be done.

A program called RWTools enables you to look at Scenarios and their instruction outside the game
    On the route called Cajon Pass it has a scenario called Short, Sharp Shunt and the info it is copied below

Route:- Cajon Pass
    Scenario:- Short, Sharp Shunt

Description: The area around East Victorville is having a track inspection so the sidings need to be cleared for a few hours. Couple up the remaining freight cars, including a shipment of glass, and relocate them a short distance down the line at Victorville. 15mins/Easy.

Briefing:
    There are freight cars located behind you and on the adjacent sidings. All the freight cars need to be moved down the line, south to Victorville. Take particular care with the boxcars as they contain glass, so keep to the speed limit. Reverse and couple to the hoppers behind you then pick up the remaining freight before setting off.

Start Time: 1118
    Duration: 15
    Season: SEASON_AUTUMN

Service: 1118 Standard Freight

Initial Rolling Stock:-
    Instruction: Welcome to East Victorville! Follow the instructions in the Assignment Assistant (F1). All freight cars need to be coupled to the rear of your locomotive.

At Location: East Victorville Siding 1
    Operation: Couple to back of train
    Wagon Numbers:-
    218042 218655 218501 218760 218753

Instruction: The hoppers are now hooked up but you are not done yet. Your focus is now the freight in East Victorville Siding 5. Ensure the switches are set then couple them to the rear of your consist.

At Location: East Victorville Siding 5
    224530 223630 219093 438198 218342

Instruction: Well done, now collect the final coal hoppers in East Victorville Siding 6.

At Location: East Victorville Siding 6
    31017 31820 30535 536076 30713

Instruction: Your train is now assembled and ready to go. You need to head south a short distance and bring the train to halt anywhere in Victorville Siding 5. Again, check your switches and keep within the yard speeds.

Instruction: Congratulations you have completed the scenario. East Victorville is clear and the routine track inspection can begin.

At Location: Victorville Siding 5
    Operation: Default

Final Destination: Victorville Siding 5

Peter

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. treid09

treid09 Guest

Thanks Peter, that is some good info. I will have to look into it, as what the scenario information in your post looks a lot like like the contents of a switch list, especially the car numbers.