Ramifications Of The Next Gen Update After Last Night's Live Stream - Anybody Got Answers?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by forteanjo, Jun 30, 2021.

1. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

My understanding is that, with the updated Unreal engine, there are 2 routes developers can use to take (if even just partial) advantage of the PS5's additional power:
    1. A PS4 game that "knows" it's running on PS5; or
    2. A fully native PS5 game
    I'm still not clear on which route DTG are going for the core update that'll come with Rush Hour.
    Matt seems to be implying the second one (i.e. fully native PS5 game) but he also talks about what would effectively be Smart Delivery (which Sony's platform doesn't have) in terms the user experience - you would simply download TSW2 and the platform would know which version to deliver. Now, could be Matt was getting his Playstations and XBoxes mixed up but it could also mean that the core update is really a Route 1 type upgrade.

The reason I ask? Well if it's a fully native PS5 game - a few issues:
    • Will TSW2 (after update) only run from the PS5's internal SSD? I currently have TSW2 on an external HDD and, with the DLC, it occupies around 100 Gb of space. Even with the PS5's compression, it would probably still occupy around 70 Gb of precious SSD space!
    • Profile / Save files - Matt seems to think this should transfer over ok but hasn't tested as yet. Since a PS5 native game's save file occupy a different space from PS4 game's, I don't think this would just work without some DTG intervention.
    • Trophies - I've bagged quite a few TSW2 trophies from each of the 3 sets but these are all PS4 trophies (even though I've unlocked them whilst playing on a PS5). Like save files, PS5 trophies sit separately from PS4 ones. Would the PS5 equivalents of all my existing PS4 trophies unlock automatically or would I need to play through again (reaching, say, level 20 on TVS, etc.).

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

Great post, was going to ask the same questions. Matt's answers were all over the show, he even said there wouldn't be a separate game to download which is not true for ps5 upgrades as they are a whole new product on the ps5 store and are identified differently from the ps4 download. Need some clarification on this asap.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I agree that some clarification is needed with the next gen upgrades and how they will work.
    I know they said on the stream that XB series and PS5 consoles are new builds (as they said they now have 5 separate builds to test) which would mean that they can only run from the internal SSD's.
    I know PS5 does not support external SSD's for storing and playing PS5 games on and that they have not released a support list for compatible NVMe expansions yet (also because they haven't activated the NVMe expansion slots yet through the software).

4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’m new to all this console malarkey with only playing TSW on what was my partner’s PS4. We are planning on getting a PS5 as soon as is possible after TSW2 has its own dedicated PS5 version.

The storage capacity of the PS5 is something that worries me because with the PS4 version of TSW there is no way to uninstall DLC. If it’s the same for PS5 then TSW2 and all the DLC will need to be permanently installed on the SSD and growing ever bigger with each new DLC purchased. If the texture resolution on PS5 is going to be as good as PC then the size of DLC files will be considerably larger than they are for PS4. The SSD drive will fill up quickly with every extra DLC I get, to the point where it becomes a major issue. And I don’t relish having to expel the whole of TSW to an external drive every time she wants to play a game, then reload it afterwards, just because there is no room for anything else. Then when it is full and has no more room for new DLC, what happens then? It might be a couple of years away but it will happen if DLC isn’t separate.

Offloading single or multiple DLC to an external drive would be acceptable and desirable and it will be more or less essential at some point. This should be of concern to anyone using a PS5 and having every DLC for TSW2. DLC needs to be separate from the game as far as installation goes. Do Sony even support that?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Sony, NO.

below an example of what the Xbox has to offload DLC etc.

B3CE7B25-9358-49C2-AD25-714909F3B625.jpeg

unless you plan on getting 6 PS5 titles the first week of ownership of the new console. I wouldn’t worry about disc space for now. Proper support should be added to allow external SSD’s by the end of the year (if not shame on Sony)

I’ve got all current DLC and it tally’s up to 87.7gb

regarding the trophy question from the OP, trophy’s shouldn't auto unlock. Read a report somewhere that they did for a certain game. Personally I think that’s silly as they should be earnt each time.

and like everyone else I would love to know the answer to the game save question. DTG should have an answer already as they are working on the update right now and may have been for a while before announcement.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

I agree that there's been some mixed messages in the Q&As regarding this. My understanding until now was that there'll be a completely separate PS5 version of the game, not simply the PS4 version recognising it's running on a PS5 and allowing for different settings. Yesterday's stream, though, has given me doubt. If it's the former, there will need to be a way of importing the PS4 save file, there'll be a separate trophy list, and it'll need to run on the internal SSD. If it's the latter, well, that's disappointing, but it'll still offer improvements.

One additional advantage of a native PS5 version in regards to install size is the option of using the new compression tech in PS5s to make it much smaller (50% or better than the PS4 and Xbox versions).

• Like Like x 1
  7. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

I'm talking with the person handling this side of things and getting better answers for a future Q&A, I appreciate my lack of knowledge of PS5 has left some unanswered questions or confusions so I am rectifying that from the people that know, now that I actually know what I don't know :) I guess that's only a marginally confusing way of putting it :)

Short answer: I'm on it :)

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  8. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I have all the dlc that TSW2 currently offers for PC and it adds up to 238 GB. The PS5 has about 670 GB internally, so, even if the PS5 downloads approach PC size, the storage problem is not acute - yet. But, you're right, you will eventually need much more space, TSW2 dlc files are very large and will eat up space rapidly. Rush Hour alone will likely be around 10-12 GB or maybe more if DTG build it up with extra stuff. You might need that NVMe drive that fits inside the console. And make sure you get the PS5 digital version. Of course, this assumes that you don't have lots of content other than TSW2 on your new console.

• Like Like x 3
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Why would that be necessary, is that because it’s the only one that can be expanded?

10. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

I’m curious too.

I very much doubt that would be the case.

Both digital and disc have an M2 slot due to be enabled later in the year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Actually, I take that back.. The digital edition is missing the 4k blu-ray drive, which might come in handy if you have any disk based games in your library or expect to acquire any. It's cheaper, but not by much. Well, about 100 bucks. Other than that, they're both the same. So, go with the regular version. Of course, if you're in a hurry, get the one that's available and add a 4k drive later if you need one.:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Jeepers! I think I’ll just stick with my trusty PS4. :|

13. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I so want to get a ps5 seeing the tech push in rush hour. It's such a shame they are so hard to come by. Where I am they're available only through lottery where you win the chance to purchase. I think my odds would be better with the real lottery!
    So I'm very glad dovetail will continue supporting the creaking wheezing ps4 slim that I currently have.

But, first opportunity I get the ps5 will become a dedicated train sim machine!