1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rectangular Area

Discussion in 'General' started by Jake, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Jake

Jake Member

Has anyone figured out how to place a Rectangular Area with any degree of precision? E.g. One may wish to detect user flying under a particular bridge span. It is a limited width and length and could even be pitched a bit. This was a pretty easy task in FSX's Object Placement Tool, where you could see the scenery, area boundaries, pitch, bank and heading. Thanks for any help here.

2. theohall

theohall Active Member

Make sure Edit Models is checked in the Model Controls Tab. You can then click and drag on Areas to resize them.

3. theohall

theohall Active Member

You can also move them by clicking in the center of the area and dragging it to where you want it. Again - Edit Models has to be checked.

4. Jake

Jake Member

I know how to move, head and resize, all ok from the top view, but how do you know the correct pitch and bank to align with an unlevel object?

5. theohall

theohall Active Member

Haven't messed with that, yet.

6. Bigglesworth

Bigglesworth Active Member

I like to use two monitors, one with FSW running, the other with the PME on it. Then I can see the rectangle shapes in-game and adjust their settings in PME until they look right in the sim. There's a toolbar button in the PME that you have to make sure you've clicked so that the two programs are working together.

When not using top-down view, I'll use slew in free flight mode to move around and check the rectangle area from different angles.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  7. theohall

theohall Active Member

Also - Display Models has to be checked in Model Controls to use that view.

8. daithecwm

daithecwm Member

Thanks Theo - nice tips!
    @ Mr B.: how does FSW Free Flight show Mission Objects? Or did I misunderstand your post (sorry!)?
    Cheers - Dai. :cool:

9. Bigglesworth

I'm pretty sure it does. It's been a while since my last mission. Haven't come up with any ideas for a new one. Probably getting rusty on all that.

10. Jake

Jake Member

BIRTrolley.jpg This is the most pleasant surprise I've had thus far with FSW... why doesn't DTG document this stuff??? Dai, that box was pretty well aligned with the trolley cable using your method, don't you think so? Thanks guys for all the help... I need to visit here more often.
    Jake

11. daithecwm

daithecwm Member

Great stuff, Jake - that's really useful.
    BTW, were you 'flying' the mission to see the RectArea?
    Bigglesworth says: "... I'll use slew in free flight mode to move around and check the rectangle area from different angles." But SLEW isn't available in Mission mode, is it? Or did I miss something - Again!

12. Jake

Jake Member

Yes, I turned on the "Model Viewer" on Model Bar window. I've tried slewing around but it's so time consuming to reload the mission. I think I'll stick with running FSX OPT in the background and verify with the Model Viewer, as it seemed to work well in this case. Working on A Blessing in Rio... to be released soon!

13. daithecwm

daithecwm Member

Thanks, Jake. As I think you said in another thread, it's such a shame that DTG's documentation leaves most of this useful detail out. Maybe they're preparing a new PME/FSW manual? I hope so!

14. Bigglesworth

Slew is available in free flight mode, which CAN be used to help pinpoint the locations of rectangles, by quickly moving around to positions to view the placement, instead of just flying to the viewing locations, which takes longer of course. So I use slew to get the job done quicker. It's as simple as that.

In the end it comes down to whatever works for each individual mission designer. No hard and set rules.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  15. Jake

Jake Member

Dai, I just discovered in the .flt file you can set slew to "True" then slew away...