Repost: Toronto, The Capital Of Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Cyclone, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Time to bring this one back up. Was doing some looking at a route page at UKTS and found a link to something called Maple Leaf Tracks. Smack dab in the middle of the collection: Greater Toronto Area, starting at Hamilton and Georgetown on the west, Barrie at the north, going in both cases through Union Station and merging to Scarborough and north to Lincolnville, swrving as a terminus. Richmond Hill is also a terminus. Fourteen stations and fifteen subdivisions are listed on this map.

Come on, DTG. See if you can get this for TS. This would be a fantastic project, even if it has to be done in two parts. If done in two parts, I can pick out Hamilton to Lincolnville with a spur to Georgetown, then Georgetown to Barrie with Union Station again represented. The path to Richmond Hill and the extra through path from Union Station to Barrie can fill in on the second of those.

There is also a freeware Oshawa line on their site, from Scarborough. It was omitted on this paid DLC because it was too big. Wouldn't be bad to see if that can be on the first of the two ideas here.

Also on their site is the Dundas subdivision, from Bayview to London, Ontario. It's a decent passenger service with, I'm sure, some good freight along the way too.

Then there's my idea with the St. Clair Tunnel and its replacement that is in use today, in Sarnia. Not on their site, but maybe this company can tackle that if Milepost doesn't.

Let's get Ontario on the map. And let's get the CN SD75 with it. It's time. It's a good way to introduce the train.

Here are links to Toronto, the Niagara Corridor (i.e. the Dundas sub), and the Oshawa freeware. Just for fun, here's the Bala Sub, a 170 mile route in its own right.

Worth noting, the freight routes and all the Toronto yards are better for Train Simulator more than TSW2, as the mix of freight and passenger can have some interesting scenarios in that game. Putting both Toronto routes there also allows us to merge them. But wouldn't mind seeing just the passenger-related aspects in TSW2, or the Dundas line. There are also GO services in Toronto that could be their own thing in TSW2 without mixing in the freight.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

We also have both MPI Xpress and Bombardier Bi-level models, so GO Transit equipment is already set. Modify the P42, make some LRC coaches, and maybe have a VIA F40 as a paid DLC.

3. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I'd also suggest the CN ET44AC, ES44AC, or SD70M-2, as well as the SD75I.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

Yeah honestly just some Canadian stuff that isn't mountain passes and has passenger services would be welcome

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cyclone

Or a better GP9. Since, you know, CANADIANS currently cannot buy the only one that's there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

This is a wonderful idea to have a route of Toronto, The Capital of Ontario, Canada but not sure if Dovetail Games or anyone who can create a workshop route.

Just keep our fingers crossed.

John

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

My thinking is seeing if DTG can get the existing developer who authored the MSTS route to do it for DTG. Naturally, they already have all of their notes, so research should not be an issue, though they may want to visit the lines they cover again to update their notes and get any new models.

8. jpmackay

jpmackay Active Member

You mean Maple Leaf Tracks which own by David Dodd who live in Toronto, ON.

John

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cyclone

Precisely.

10. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

GP9rms from TSW could fit the bill, because the only thing that could work as a replacement for the GP9 pack is an unbranded version.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

I definitely agree on the CN Dundas & Strathroy Subs west of Bayview Jct to Sarnia. This is a portion of their very busy Toronto to Chicago mainline, connecting with the former Grand Trunk Western (now CN Flint Sub) at Port Huron. As stated in the thread, Maple Leaf Tracks had already developed the Dundas Sub from Bayview to London (also including a short section of the Oakville Sub, between Aldershot & Bayview) for MSTS. VIA also follows this route, with trains running to both Sarnia & Windsor (with VIA trains to Windsor diverging from the Strathroy Sub, onto the CN Chatham Sub at Komoka, just west of London). Most CN trains continue west on the Strathroy Sub to Sarnia & the Paul M Tellier Tunnel, leading to the USA.

I think SD75I, C44-9W, SD40-2W, GP40-2W, ET44AC, ES44DC, along with GP38-2/-2W & GP9RM would be ideal for freight, with F40PHC-2 & P44DC for VIA.

At Brantford, the Hagersville Sub diverges south to Nanticoke. In London, the St Thomas Sub diverges south & the Guelph Sub north. At Komoka, the Chatham Sub diverges south to Windsor. And there are numerous industrial spurs in & around Sarnia.

It would be great if DTG could tie all of this into the existing Oakville Sub simulation, since the Dundas Sub connects with the Oakville Sub at Bayview.

Another suggestion might be the CN Halton Sub (which, I believe sees mainly freight), which diverges from the Oakville Sub at Burlington West (just west of the Burlington GO platform) & leads timetable eastward to CN's sprawling MacMillan Yard, the largest rail yard in Canada & one of only 2 hump yards remaining in Canada.

At Burlington West, GO & VIA trains continue eastward on the Oakville Sub, toward Toronto Union Station.

12. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

Although, the CP Laggan Sub (Kicking Horse Pass) & Mountain Sub (Rogers Pass) World be fantastic. Maybe, also the CP Shuswap Sub, which connects with the Mountain Sun at Revelstoke, BC & runs westward to Kamloops, BC. Maple Leaf Tracks had developed all 3 subdivisions for MSTS.

The Shuswap Sub MSTS route was actually set circa 1968 & featured F7A’s & B’s, as-built GP9’s (with high short hoods) & first-generation SD40’s. The Mountain Sub was set circa 1998, with SD9043MAC’s, AC4400CW’s & SD40-2. The Laggan Sub was set circa 1987, with SD40-2 & SD40-2F.

The Shuswap Sub was developed in its entirety from Revelstoke to Kamloops and Mountain Sub in its entirety from Field, BC to Revelstoke. The Laggan Sub was initially developed between Banff, AB & Field, but was expanded in stages. Initially from Exshaw, AB to Field & eventually the entire subdivision from Calgary (Alyth Yard) to Field.

Point being is these were also routes already developed by Maple Leaf Tracks, for use on MSTS. DTG could also consult with MLT regarding these 3 routes.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  13. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

David/MLT developed many Canadian routes for MSTS & did a stellar job at it. I purchased most of these routes from MLT, back when I was using MSTS.

14. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

I definitely like the CN GP9RM, though. These were all rebuilt in-house by CN back in the 1980’s, at their Pointe-St-Charles Shop in Montreal. I know a guy who worked at PSC, back when this rebuild program was happening.

PSC definitely did a great job on the GP9RM.

15. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

I would love to see DTG develop this route. I would likely purchase it, if they did.

16. Hoghead1976

Hoghead1976 New Member

The CN Grimbsy Sub begins just east of Stathearne Avenue (connecting with the end of the Oakville Sub there) & continues eastward to Niagara Falls & Fort Erie. While the Grimsby Sub (even though it hosts GO trains all the way to Niagara Falls) could be a very long addition, I think the remainder of the GTA would be great. Especially with all GO routes out to Hamilton (Oakville Sub to CP Goderich Sub/old TH&B, into downtown Hamilton), Kitchener, Barrie (CN Newmarket Sub), Scarborough, Richmond Hill, Oshawa (CN Kingston Sub), etc.

17. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

I'm making Oshawa to Cobourn right now lol. Kingston Sub and Belleville subs.