PlayStation Request Option To Swap Throttle And Brake Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ChewChew, Sep 16, 2020.

1. ChewChew

ChewChew New Member

Hi ladies and gents, first post for me. I signed up to the forums because I don’t really know what the protocol is for making some suggestions.

Have enjoyed both games and I have some of the expansions, but I’ve noticed that on the German rail network that the throttle is on the left side of the desk and the brake controls are on the right - but the game has you manipulating the levers using the opposite hands on the playstation controller. I understand that’s what some British or American locomotives use, which is why it is the way it is, but it feels very counter intuitive to use my opposite hand for controls, and kinda breaks the immersion.

My suggestion: In Settings -> Controls menu have an option to swap the L1/L2 and R1/R2 controls for Throttle and Brake. You could make 3 options (Default: Throttle always on Right / Throttle always on Left / Throttle side automatic), with the third option working in the same way that measurement units automatically change between Imperial and Metric.

Also on the subject of Controllers, I have my controller sensitivity on the lowest setting but still it requires the lightest of touch to finely control the pointer to line up on that tiny button on the desk (I have big clumsy sausage fingers). However just making another lower sensitivity setting wouldn’t work because it would takes ages to turn around when walking / looking around the cabins etc.

My suggestion: could you add a second adjustment slider to make the controller sensitivity more - what’s the word - logarithmic? As in; change the sensitivity only towards the center of the stick.

Anyway, keep up the awesome work - after a long day at work it’s nice to just chill out on my Playstation and do something peaceful - and you guys hit the nail on the head with this game. So thanks, and sorry for the long post.

• Like Like x 5
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Excellent suggestions. There is also the holy grail of being able to map your controllers how you would like, but I do like the idea of swapping the triggers round to match the cab you’re in. That would keep us on our toes if we swap countries a lot and have it on automatic switching. Fine movement of the pointer is too tricky currently and a more logarithmic response would be a good solution. I have lovely slender fingers, more like french fries than sausages, but they are still useless for flicking a tiny switch with the skittish pointer.

There is a ‘suggestions’ sub-forum here that’s for this kind of thing. A mod might move it to there at some point but don’t worry about it, it will still get read.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Cottonmouth

Cottonmouth Active Member

Have enjoyed both games and I have some of the expansions, but I’ve noticed that on the German rail network that the throttle is on the left side of the desk and the brake controls are on the right - but the game has you manipulating the levers using the opposite hands on the playstation controller. I understand that’s what some British or American locomotives use, which is why it is the way it is, but it feels very counter intuitive to use my opposite hand for controls, and kinda breaks the immersion.

Hi, If I remember from TSW 2020 this was mentioned then, that the brake/throttle leavers in some trains are completely opposite to your controller which was on the left on some trains you use the right trigger and the same for throttle which was on the right in some trains and you use the left trigger. Its the same for when you want to lean out of the drivers window, When you want to lean out left, that option is on the right side of the selection dial, and again to lean out right side your option is on the left. Very strange. Sure there was a reason

• Like Like x 1