Reskins That Don’t Need Ap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OMW1993, Feb 26, 2021.

1. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

Hi all,

anyone know of any good websites that don’t need AP packs for their reskins to work?

got a few from DPSimulation but other websites I’ve seen have a major reliance on AP. Would love 86/87 Virgin trains skins and associated coaches ( couldn’t get the dp simulation one to work!)

thanks

2. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

There are some 86 Virgin skins on UKTS
    And there are a lot of skins on DPS
    https://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/dpsreskins.html
    Don't know why you could not get the Virgin 87 to work -
    You need the stand alone Class 87 pack for one version and WCML over Shap for the other
    And did you copy the required files across?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  3. OMW1993

OMW1993 New Member

I have both of those and used the ats installer, I’ll try it the old fashioned way!

4. Matthew Wilson

Matthew Wilson Well-Known Member

Speaking as a developer who uses a lot of AP stuff for my reskins, allow me to explain a little from my side.

AP stuff often features more realistic simulation, controls and can add a wealth of liveries where base DLC only comes with one or two. This makes them also more realistic to drive and use, which in tune with exhaust effects and similar makes the overall experience more pleasant.

I'd sooner put in my sparetime hours of work into getting the most complete overall package than applying it to something with severe limitations/bugs. Another example is the Class 86 pack from AP, where the front end options don't exist in the base DLC, so it's now possible to make examples that are only possible because of the enhancement pack.

All choices are up to the user, but the same goes for developers of freeware skins and more, especially when it involves having given up hours of my free time for no cost to other users, so I will make reskins which primarily is something I want to use or drive.

Hope this helps explain a little.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 4