Riesa- Dresden- What Do The Locomotives Do Now?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Krazy, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

The Riesa-Dresden route isn't going to have S-Bahn branches anymore. Many of you forum users have spoken against this, and that's good. So here's my contribution, as I really want to have a German route that will be actually enjoyable.

I'm not German, nor do I have any association with anybody who is German. Fortunately, with the power of the internet, I now may know what kind of stuff runs on the Riesa-Dresden line, mainly the stuff that is and was planned for Rush Hour. So here's what seems to be what runs on the route:

-RE 50: Dresden-Riesa (and then Leipzig), operated primarily by the BR 442, and sometimes the BR 146
    -RE 15, RE 18, and RB 31: Großenhain Cottbuser Bahnhof branch, operated by the BR 442 and BR 143

Ignoring freight, this is what we get in Riesa-Dresden's current form. Both the main Riesa-Dresden line and the Großenhain Cottbuser line can be run entirely by the Talent 2, and the BR 143 and 146 are mainly substitutions. That's a weird way to implement half of the included trains on the route. These two locomotives don't really get their own services. Why's tha- oh wait, it's because these locomotives run on the S-Bahn lines!

-The Meißen line sees S1 trains, powered primarily by the BR 146!
    -The Dresden Flughafen line sees S2 trains with the BR 143!

Wow, with these two S-Bahn lines, the BR 143 and 146 actually serve a purpose, and aren't just substitutions for the Talent 2! Riesa-Dresden includes 6 whole drivable trains (yes I'm counting the Dostos), and if the reduced route remains, half of them are worthless. DTG, please consider working on the S-Bahn lines for this route.

(Please tell me I got this info correct. I simply did some basic internet research for this)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20210723_192815.jpg
    Here's a picture I found on Google, that shows the Dresden S-Bahn lines. The S1-line seems to follow the mainline up to Coswig, before it branches off to Meißen. So if I read this map correctly, we should be able to drive those services to Coswig. While it's disappointing that we can't drive it to Meißen, we still have at least some reasonable length S-Bahn services with the 146. The S2-line on the other hand, branches off at Dresden Neustadt, which is only under ten minutes drive away from Dresden hbf. I believe that they will make it playable but it will be pretty annoying to drive it, knowing that the Flughafen-branch isn't even that long, and we still can't go there.

3. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Ah, so there's still a good chunk of the S1 services! I guess I didn't pay much attention to that. So the 146 still gets a good chink of services to itself, that's nice. Although without the branch to Meißen, the route will probably still feel like the other TSW German routes, which only model the S-Bahn lines that run right alongside the main route. And I sure would hate to be a fan of the BR 143, those services to Dresden Flughafen look sad. Along with the fact that a run to the airport sounds really exciting, and I'd probably love that branch.

4. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

Yeah. For me the biggest thing I will miss about the original route idea, is the Flughafen branch. It's mainly because i don't have Ruhr Sieg Nord and therefore 143 is a new train for me. Also as you said, running to an airport is an exiting idea. Luckily we still have the Gatwick Airport on the BML. :)

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Including AI S3 trains would at least help the Hbf appear busy, even though they're just portal trains.

• Like Like x 1
  6. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

There is also an hourly long distance service from Dresden to Riesa (and beyond). This alternates between an ICE (using an ICE-T) or an Intercity (using IC2 double deckers). DTG have said that this will be included, presumably using the closest possible stock (ICE3 and 101+IC, the latter requiring you to have that DLC). There is also an hourly long distance train from Berlin (the Grossenhain direction), alternately a EuroCity using Czech stock and an Intercity using Stadler KISS units. These could only be there as AI trains because there's no end station for them on the route - but it'd be nice to see them.